W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the depreciation on your AMG unbearable

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 e55 amg
it seems that all luxury cars depreciate badly
Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 CLS63S AMG, 2017 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate, 2019 KTM 1290 Super Adventure R
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
100%, I am waiting a year or so to snag the TTE63 when it comes out for the massive 1st year depreciation savings.
Hell yeah, same here! 2014 E63 4MATIC S after the massive depreciation hit
Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 w211 E55
I bought my 2004 e55 with 19k miles that was fully equipped for just over 50k in 07! I now want to wait for a CLS63 TT with low mileage and ill be happy to spend similar money if not a little more! I can't wait!

They def do depreciate faster but I guess for most of us who can't or don't want to dish out over $100k or so, it's not an actually a bad thing
Old 03-28-2013, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by moosejaw
This question has been brought up many times and i have discussed this on the off topic section. Very important you pay attention to the following:

Back in the day which is not obvious now.
  • Mercedes held their value
  • They were bulletproof vehicles
  • People were proud to own them
  • Salesman knew every option on the car and knew their customers personally
  • Techs knew what they were doing
  • Was a status symbol

Then BMW starting selling more in their biggest market, the USA. BMWs advantage was that they had a finance dept already in place. Mercedes wasn't able to compete with the finance terms BMW had in place at the time. BMW has always traditionally sold more cars than MB in USA by about 33%. To get with the times Mercedes needed a partner with a solid finance department. That partner was Chrysler.

To merge with Chrysler meant that they had to get capital, that involved shopping out traditional suppliers for parts, using cheaper parts etc....

So flash forward to today where MB is selling close to 300K vehicles a year as of this year and now on common ground with BMW. Thirteen years ago.......MB sold 70K vehicles a year. So if you put three times the amount of a product than what you once had, don't you think it would depreciate faster? I mena how many 6 figure cars can you sell in one year? The masses of german cars being produced not just in germany, but usa, mexico, and even brazil are hurting our resale value. If Rolex tripled production of the submariner or the date-just, do you think they would still hold their value? All german cars with the exception of Porsche seem to depreciate rapidly fast. And even Porsches after 964 depreciate rather quickly. the Cayenne accounts for almost half its sales in the US. I hope it stays niche market as i have my eye on a Cayenne GTS. Porsches sales are about 30K a year in the USA. About a 10th of the MB Sales

So it comes as no surprise that even AMGs depreciate rather quickly
My 2004 C32 was only one of 218 made that year. They must make over 4000 C63s a year for the us now. Even there's a AMG model for the R Class

And don't get my started on the sales personnel at a typical MB Dealership. They are effin' douche bags and are prob better selling Chevrolets. And the reason for that is MB lost its identity with its core crowd and is concentrating on the masses which is the typical condo loving Miamian as David pointed out.
Pretty much right on with that synopsis. Although I'd correct this: "And even Porsches after 964 depreciate rather quickly" to after the 993. I sold my 993 for $27k less than the original MSRP and it was a 16 year-old car at the time I sold it.

Last year I sold my E63 with under 30k miles on it to my dealer who sat on it for 7 1/2 months and finally ended up selling it for $3,000 less than they paid me.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
well, one benefit (or detractor) is that the E55 AMG's are now cheaper than other 500HP cars (i.e. 2014 Camaro) and the E63's are on par with the price or cheaper...
Old 03-28-2013, 02:20 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by moosejaw
This question has been brought up many times and i have discussed this on the off topic section. Very important you pay attention to the following:

Back in the day which is not obvious now.
  • Mercedes held their value
  • They were bulletproof vehicles
  • People were proud to own them
  • Salesman knew every option on the car and knew their customers personally
  • Techs knew what they were doing
  • Was a status symbol

Then BMW starting selling more in their biggest market, the USA. BMWs advantage was that they had a finance dept already in place. Mercedes wasn't able to compete with the finance terms BMW had in place at the time. BMW has always traditionally sold more cars than MB in USA by about 33%. To get with the times Mercedes needed a partner with a solid finance department. That partner was Chrysler.

To merge with Chrysler meant that they had to get capital, that involved shopping out traditional suppliers for parts, using cheaper parts etc....

So flash forward to today where MB is selling close to 300K vehicles a year as of this year and now on common ground with BMW. Thirteen years ago.......MB sold 70K vehicles a year. So if you put three times the amount of a product than what you once had, don't you think it would depreciate faster? I mena how many 6 figure cars can you sell in one year? The masses of german cars being produced not just in germany, but usa, mexico, and even brazil are hurting our resale value. If Rolex tripled production of the submariner or the date-just, do you think they would still hold their value? All german cars with the exception of Porsche seem to depreciate rapidly fast. And even Porsches after 964 depreciate rather quickly. the Cayenne accounts for almost half its sales in the US. I hope it stays niche market as i have my eye on a Cayenne GTS. Porsches sales are about 30K a year in the USA. About a 10th of the MB Sales

So it comes as no surprise that even AMGs depreciate rather quickly
My 2004 C32 was only one of 218 made that year. They must make over 4000 C63s a year for the us now. Even there's a AMG model for the R Class

And don't get my started on the sales personnel at a typical MB Dealership. They are effin' douche bags and are prob better selling Chevrolets. And the reason for that is MB lost its identity with its core crowd and is concentrating on the masses which is the typical condo loving Miamian as David pointed out.
This is pretty spot on, though it was actually Lexus who unfortunately changed the face of Luxury Car manufacturers (more focus now on mass, parts sharing/cost cutting and less on exclusivity which is pretty much what a "Luxury Manufacturer" is partially supposed to be about). BMW basically were the first Germans who figured out how to be immensely profitable and efficient within this new realm of "Luxury Car Manufacturer". Mercedes basically got caught between what Lexus brought to the market and what BMW did, trying to effectively play catchup in both areas, which IMO has done more harm to the Mercedes brand as it was once the most prestigious and untouchable. Being victims to their own success opens them to be judged more harshly, I guess.