W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track experience. Was yours as eventful as mine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
First track experience. Was yours as eventful as mine?

Just wondering how others first track experiences went. It was a few years ago, but mine is below:

A friend and I go up to Muncie raceway for “street legal” night. This place is literally in the corn fields north of Indy. It is a sea of American muscle with the exception of one German car (mine) and a couple of ricers from Fort Wayne.

A noisy Mustang GT (early 2000s) is next to me as we wait to line up. I am thinking as loud as he is, he must be fast and will walk my a$$. My buddy is in the stands listening to the comments from the crowd. It’s all negative. “What in the world is that slow Mercedes think he is doing at the track?” I thought we were both just racing the clock, but I guess the match up was inevitable.

Finally, it is our turn to roll up. I had been instructed by my buddy to drive around the water and then break my tires loose just to throw off the debris. Around the water I go. I try to spin the tires with a little torque brake and nothing. I try again, nothing. The car lurches forward in the most awkward fashion I have ever seen. The crowd is going crazy. My buddy is taking a verbal beating. I look down and realize ESP is still on and doing its job.

I abandon the burn out notion and move up to stage. The Mustang is already staged revving his engine. He undoubtedly plans to waste this silly merc. Once again, I provide comic relief for the crowd as I over-stage (still not sure if that is the right term). They back me up and I try again. The tree drops.

The Mustang seems to hook and go. Wheel spin for me as adrenaline gives my right foot the finesse of an anvil. This leads to a 2 + sec 60. I feather the throttle, hook and go to WOT. The Mustang is only a length or two ahead of me. I get a little chirp when second gear kicks in thanks to the RT TCU set up. The Mustang seems slow now as I reel him in bad. I pass him like I am in the fast lane on the 405. I manage a 12.2. The Mustang, mid 13s.

So, you guessed it. The crowd changes to comments about how the Merc should have won. It costs way more. One person reportedly said it probably costs almost 50k.

I know the owner of the track. He was in the tower when I made my run. Apparently one of his guys said there must be something wrong with the clock. There is no way that merc just ran a 12.2. A year later, I ran a PB of 11.86 on street tires.

I have been trying to get some fast “E” guys to go to the track with me. Could you imagine the crowd watching an MB 4 door turning mid-11s?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'20 GLE350, '21 F150 Raptor, '03 BMW M3, '22 KTM 890 ADV, '23 Triumph Trident 660
Very cool and great job. I am a road track guy, but I think I am going to have to try this. They have what they call Flashlight Drags in my area. Sounds like fun, and I am guessing addicting. All I need is another addicting auto sport, to siphon on my bank account.
Bill
Old 03-13-2011, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
They guys at the track thought my 13.1@112 was fast, and my I/C pump was failing hard.

At one point and time, it completely shut the S/C off.

I need to get back out there with my DRs.