W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown engine 09 e63

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Poor form Benz. I really would not imagine Mercedes treating a customer with an obvious new engine situation this way.

WOW!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 E63
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Yup...I would have no problem if they just rebuilt the engine. It's really not rocket science and you'd pretty much still have a new engine since nearly all gaskets and stuff would have to be replaced.
My issue with the rebuild is each engine is balanced. All the pistons are weighed and matched during the build process. Unless MB blueprints each engine component I may have issue with getting a part that is not optimum for my engine. Having a piston which is not exactly the same can cause some loss in HP. Furthermore, with the bent rod and crappy service to this point, im concerned that the rebuild will not be of the same quality.

I've requested a compression test of all cylinders to ensure no loss. I've also requested that the cylinder sleeve be inspected, replacement of the connecting rod barrings, and review of the crank for any potential issues. Having a bent rod can be very bad for the cylinder and crank, so it really requires someone who knows what they are doing to get it back to 100%.

TheVoid
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 PM

2009 E63
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Poor form Benz. I really would not imagine Mercedes treating a customer with an obvious new engine situation this way.

WOW!
Did some research on this and found some interesting facts. In Texas the lemon law would require the replacement of my car at this point as it has been in the shop for over 30 days total within the first 24 months of ownership. For me, this doesn't apply as I purchased the car used (under 5k miles) and I'm sure this is why they didn't go with an engine replacement.

They simply aren't required to replace it nor do they have any obligation to do so under the terms of the warranty.

I'm a business man and understand this, however there is good faith and the need for repeat customers. I for one will not be purchasing another Mercedes. They have lost any future business from me.

TheVoid
Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
This sounds like a nightmare.

I always wondered if Mercedes-Benz dealerships around the world treat their clients the same way that they do here in the States.

I feel like the dealership is "doing you a favor" by working on your car.... ridiculous.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TheVoid
My issue with the rebuild is each engine is balanced. All the pistons are weighed and matched during the build process. Unless MB blueprints each engine component I may have issue with getting a part that is not optimum for my engine. Having a piston which is not exactly the same can cause some loss in HP. Furthermore, with the bent rod and crappy service to this point, im concerned that the rebuild will not be of the same quality.

I've requested a compression test of all cylinders to ensure no loss. I've also requested that the cylinder sleeve be inspected, replacement of the connecting rod barrings, and review of the crank for any potential issues. Having a bent rod can be very bad for the cylinder and crank, so it really requires someone who knows what they are doing to get it back to 100%.

TheVoid
Trust me, they can get the right pistons for your engine ( balance and size wise ). It's a bit complicated for me to explain how it's done, but trust me when I say that your biggest issue is simply having an idiot rebuild the engine ( which isn't hard to do in it's self ).
Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
I don't know if you have already done this or not,,,,but why don't you try and post this on the AMG PL,,,,they usually have several AMG folks looking at the posts, and if anything, you could ask the administrator for help!!

JAT
Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 PM

2009 E63
Originally Posted by buckeyewalt
I don't know if you have already done this or not,,,,but why don't you try and post this on the AMG PL,,,,they usually have several AMG folks looking at the posts, and if anything, you could ask the administrator for help!!

JAT
What is AMG PL?

TheVoid
Old 04-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CL55
It's the AMG "Private Lounge" for any AMG owner. To get access, just sign-up and have your VIN handy. Here's the URL:
http://www.mercedes-amg.com/#/home

You see all this? I'd do a search and see if there are more...
https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-...wn-engine.html
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM

2007 E 63
2007 E63. Kablamo...

I have a 2007 E63 and it grenaded in F1 style today. 37.7k on the ticker, and I feel pretty confident that the dealer is going to confirm this. Large white/light blue plume, and washing machine idle. Not pretty. I had a motor let go in an E46 M3, and this was an even more dramatic. I creeped over to the side of the road and called roadside. Same comment at first from the dealer, "bad gas?"..uh, no. Sucks too, I just put some wheels on it Thursday..

http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g446/GCIP1/ride.jpg
Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 PM

2009 E63
Originally Posted by Savnole97
I have a 2007 E63 and it grenaded in F1 style today. 37.7k on the ticker, and I feel pretty confident that the dealer is going to confirm this. Large white/light blue plume, and washing machine idle. Not pretty. I had a motor let go in an E46 M3, and this was an even more dramatic. I creeped over to the side of the road and called roadside. Same comment at first from the dealer, "bad gas?"..uh, no. Sucks too, I just put some wheels on it Thursday..

Sorry to hear you are going through the same situation. I just got my car back yesterday and it still doesn't feel right. I'm heading into the performance shop on Monday to have it dyno'd to see what it will pull. I'm pure stock, so I should be between 405 and 415 RWH. If your in Dallas, don't take it to Ewing. I've had nothing but problems with them.

Best of luck to you and post back when you know something!

TheVoid
Old 04-24-2011, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Sorry to hear about this saga. For an engine that's supposed to be "bullet proof" it seems to me that there are proportionally too many stories of valve, cam adjuster, gaskets failures.

I wonder if a contributing factor could be the long time it takes for a MB dealer to sell these cars, when new. In my searches for a '09, I'm seeing a good number of Carfaxes that show sitting on a lot for 6 mo to a year or more before being sold. That can't be good. Same goes for the long stints, at a dealer, for used ones.

Add to that the fact that many owners of these cars put very little mileage on them, compared to an E350/550.

Last edited by starbrite; 04-24-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:44 PM

2007 E 63
Thanks for the replies. Actually, my car was just at the dealer for a rattling noise I thought was the heat shield. Turns out it was broken baffle inside one of the cans. They replaced the whole unit from cat back. However, they mentioned that they replaced a gasket, which I thought they said was the header gasket? but I will have to check which one it was. I also had them replace the whiney power steering pump too. So far, they've taken care of me, including hooking me up with lowering the car via the Star thing. I'm curious if an over-rev during a transmission upshift could do it. I could swear my tranny seemed a little sloppy lately. Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by TheVoid
I'm heading into the performance shop on Monday to have it dyno'd to see what it will pull.

I'm pure stock, so I should be between 405 and 415 RWH. !

TheVoid
Sorry to read about your problems but a word of caution on dynos---what you're expecting is not entirely accurate.

Its nearly impossible to get HP values within a 10HP window between two dynos of the same brand in 2 locations. Additionally, there are so many different dynos out there, a perfectly healthy 63 engine can vary greatly between 360-410rwhp depending upon the dyno make, operator, etc. It's not as simple as you may expect.

Expecting a dyno reading between 405-415rwhp having never dyno'd your car before is shooting in the dark at best and may unfairly indicate "problems" with your engine when there are none.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
Originally Posted by Savnole97
Sucks too, I just put some wheels on it Thursday..

I like those wheels...which ones are they?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM

2007 E 63
Thanks. They are the Vossen VVSC 2, I believe, with the shadow finish. They look incredible, the pic I posted was on my phone and doesn't show the concave form. I looked for a while, and have gone the BBS, Hamman expensive route, and for a car that is over 4k lbs, I don't really care if they are a bit heavier than a forged set. I have a 911 T and that is where weight would matter for me. Chris at DNJWheels in CA took care of me, and I was impressed with their service and timeliness.
Blown engine 09 e63-photo-2.jpg
Old 04-25-2011, 08:43 PM

2007 E 63
Got a call from the dealer today. They said there was a rep in town, and they determined that there was a faulty injector. I told the service advisor to go ahead and get a loaner for me until the new lump comes in, cause there is no way an injector would cause a white mushroom cloud like that, I don't think. He agreed and said they have to go through the procedure, but "the car would be perfect before I got it back." I can see this taking a month easy. Next the Rep may find a loose wire, then a loose washer fluid cap etc. which would each take a couple days to order and re-test...
They couldn't get the car to turn over, let alone start when it came off the flatbed. Injector?? Really?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Originally Posted by 220S
btw, did your dealership have the regional MBUSA tech come out and assess the issue before they attempted to "rebuild" your motor? Or did the dealership take it on their own to do this (and get rebated $$ under the warranty)?

I'm curious because as I mentioned earlier, my SA and SM both said they can't rebuild the motors and crated replacements are the only option. Plus the MB tech people want to see the motor and figured out what happened for their internal records. I don't personally know of any dealerships that are allowed to rebuild the AMG motors.
Well yes you can. Depending on situation, 156 they may want pictures but we rebuilt anything that needs to be fixed in shop if thats what is required to fix the problem correctly. Sometimes yes they just replace entire motors, but others not.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Additionally, I would hope most dealerships would not expect or want a non capable technician to work on a major engine repair- AMG or not. It is a big liability for the dealership and technician!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:09 PM

2007 E63
What was the end result of this..?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 PM

2007 E 63
Hello
Unbelievable...it was an injector?!! I was shocked, but no problems since they replaced it. Sorry for not coming back to post the outcome.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Any other E63 with M156 failures? This issue is begining to surface over at the C63 side: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-concerns.html
Old 06-16-2012, 09:39 AM

RR Evoque Dynamic, Benz Valente (work hack)
God I hate coming back onto these forums with new M156 issues.

I have 64000 miles on my 07 ML63, redline it daily and all fingers crossed has no issues.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:21 AM

07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
I drive mine like a maniac with a free pass to drive wild. I don't really speed too much, but I get up to speed very quickly.

I don't necessarily beat on it, but once the engine oil temperature is above 80*C I tend to start working her in up the RPM's. So far 73,000 miles and not a problem.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by infantry
I drive mine like a maniac with a free pass to drive wild. I don't really speed too much, but I get up to speed very quickly.

I don't necessarily beat on it, but once the engine oil temperature is above 80*C I tend to start working her in up the RPM's. So far 73,000 miles and not a problem.
It's people who don't beat their motors that usually see the worst issues in my experience.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:32 PM

07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
It's people who don't beat their motors that usually see the worst issues in my experience.
I wholeheartedly agree.

I started driving my STi a lot more and left my E in the garage for a good 2 months. Battery died and everything, ended up buying a new battery and the car was really running weird, sounded like she was mad at me for not driving her, like ticking and making some weird sounds I've never heard before.

After a few days of romping shes feeling much healthier.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Blown engine 09 e63