W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Leak RECALL petition *(*(PLEASE READ)*)*

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Arrow Fuel Leak RECALL petition *(*(PLEASE READ)*)*

Please take the time to read this, and sign it.

http://www.change.org/petitions/w211...new=t&opt_fb=t

Last edited by 03'55AMG; 03-25-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Haters crazy
done!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Sure, why not!!??
Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
once i get a few (100+) signitures, I will Email it to Mr. Lieb himself, I believe someone on here knows his personal email.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
You might want to correct your spelling, punctuation, and grammar, etc.. It will give it more legitimacy. Consider having someone write up the petition to be specific to the issue and concise....
Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Yea, I did find several errors, but I can't seem to find an edit button..
Old 03-26-2011, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
signed
Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 GLS63 AMG Diamond White
signed
Old 03-26-2011, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
Yea, I did find several errors, but I can't seem to find an edit button..
I applaud your attempt and acknowledge your commitment. So don't get me wrong and don't take this personally. But sending a 'petition' from a website to the head of MBUSA will only fall on deaf ears. It will be like a mosquito coming onto Ernst Lieb's porch while he's enjoying a lemonade. He will merely swat it away and go on drinking.

These cars are no longer in production. They have been sold and the profit has been realized. They aren't on the radar anymore. If this was happening to a model still in production, you can bet that it would be addressed quickly. After all, it would affect sales numbers.

Daimler is a for profit corporation. Just like Bank of America, Verizon, and your gas company. It's all about earnings. Yeah, sure, MB has built well known products, supports racing, and does massive automotive R+D, but in the end it's about making money.

The only way that they will be concerned with a retired product is if they are forced to be concerned. This is why the NHTSA and civil suits (class action) exist. A corporation, if it knows that an old product may not be working properly, has little incentive to address problems. It doesn't really affect the bottom line.

Trust me, gas leaking in discontinued cars on an internet forum will not affect Daimler's current and future sales in respect to all the consumers in the world.

I would suggest that you put your ducks in a row and quantitatively document owners with this issue. It's not just happening with AMGs but also non-AMG owners. Collect all the data you can (Google, forums, MBCA, dealership service managers, etc.) and then present your findings to a legal firm that has experience in automotive class action suits. There are plenty of good ones out there. Like this one: http://www.girardgibbs.com/autodefects.asp

They will take the case on contingency and it won't be out of your pocket. Play it smart and cool and don't get emotional. Just the facts.

Hit them in the pocketbook. That's what will get action. Not letters to the editor.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Not a bad idea, expanding to all classes with leaks, that would be easily in the thousands. I will start calling my previous dealerships tomorrow and speak to my past SAs. If i could get some hard info, I could take it to my attorney and see if he would have any advise and maybe even take a case. I am not paying a damn cent for an issue that MB wont address... maybe when the gas splashes on the wires to the sender and shorts and blows me up, then theyll do something...
Old 03-26-2011, 01:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E63
I agree.

03 55AMG-have you filled out the report to the NHTSA? As many of you have asked....I have the email of the engineer looking into this fuel leak matter. I will finish my report in the next few days. Then I will ask him if he wants his email open to the forum.

For now, I have the E55 back and who knows how long the gas tank will stay intact. We are just tired of dealing with leaking fuel tank issues every 6 months. The folks at Chandler MB have always been good to me and the service advisor is busting his chops to get all these repairs covered under the extended warranty but we are getting tired of taking the car into service. The car is immaculate in condition in, out and under but has become a major pain in the a$$. We shall see.

Originally Posted by 220S
I applaud your attempt and acknowledge your commitment. So don't get me wrong and don't take this personally. But sending a 'petition' from a website to the head of MBUSA will only fall on deaf ears. It will be like a mosquito coming onto Ernst Lieb's porch while he's enjoying a lemonade. He will merely swat it away and go on drinking.

These cars are no longer in production. They have been sold and the profit has been realized. They aren't on the radar anymore. If this was happening to a model still in production, you can bet that it would be addressed quickly. After all, it would affect sales numbers.

Daimler is a for profit corporation. Just like Bank of America, Verizon, and your gas company. It's all about earnings. Yeah, sure, MB has built well known products, supports racing, and does massive automotive R+D, but in the end it's about making money.

The only way that they will be concerned with a retired product is if they are forced to be concerned. This is why the NHTSA and civil suits (class action) exist. A corporation, if it knows that an old product may not be working properly, has little incentive to address problems. It doesn't really affect the bottom line.

Trust me, gas leaking in discontinued cars on an internet forum will not affect Daimler's current and future sales in respect to all the consumers in the world.

I would suggest that you put your ducks in a row and quantitatively document owners with this issue. It's not just happening with AMGs but also non-AMG owners. Collect all the data you can (Google, forums, MBCA, dealership service managers, etc.) and then present your findings to a legal firm that has experience in automotive class action suits. There are plenty of good ones out there. Like this one: http://www.girardgibbs.com/autodefects.asp

They will take the case on contingency and it won't be out of your pocket. Play it smart and cool and don't get emotional. Just the facts.

Hit them in the pocketbook. That's what will get action. Not letters to the editor.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E63
BTW

I have no idea what will fix these cars. I dont think MB does either. 6 level sensors in just over 2 years and now a new gas tank and the brand new level sensor failed on startup.

I give up and blame the EPA for the stupid returnless fuel system mandate.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flying Spur
Signed
Old 03-26-2011, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
220S has beat me to it.... I was going to say that this problem belongs to the entire W211 platform and NOT limited to the AMG models. So you should count on a lot of E320, E350, E500, and E550 cars to have this problem. Try to include them in your petition in order to capture as much audience as possible.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
alright, I will post this in all the E class sections after the 2003 facelift...
Old 03-26-2011, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not a bad idea, expanding to all classes with leaks, that would be easily in the thousands. I will start calling my previous dealerships tomorrow and speak to my past SAs. If i could get some hard info, I could take it to my attorney and see if he would have any advise and maybe even take a case. I am not paying a damn cent for an issue that MB wont address... maybe when the gas splashes on the wires to the sender and shorts and blows me up, then theyll do something...

I seriously doubt that will happen, so don't get too worried.

However, let me suggest this as part of a strategy: the whole reason the EPA mandated returnless fuel systems was to keep fuel from evaporating into the atmosphere. The entire fuel system has to be an enclosed system with zero molecules going into the atmosphere. Gas stations also have had to conform with enhanced pumps and pump handles that contain the fuel and keep it from evaporating into the air.

So, when you have a leak into the cabin (or even outside) then you've breached that closed system. Whether Mercedes doesn't want to see it that way doesn't matter. It is an emissions problem. The car cannot be releasing gasoline vapors into the atmosphere. It's against state (especially California) and federal emission rules.

The warranty on emissions is longer than than the basic factory warranty. And that's under law because of the EPA's rules on minimizing polluting vehicles on the road. The EPA doesn't care if your car breaks down but they do care if it pollutes. Hence the warranty on emissions is much longer and extensive.

I realize that a few members have argued for repair under emissions warranty but claim to have been denied. They just went as far as the dealer and perhaps contacting MBUSA, only to get no action. But an attorney instigating a class action suit wouldn't stop there.

B. DESIGN AND DEFECT WARRANTY

The Design and Defect Warranty covers repair of emission related
parts which become defective during the warranty period. The Design
and Defect warranty for model year 1995 and newer light-duty cars and trucks is outlined below:

Design and Defect Warranty Coverage for 1995 and newer light-duty
vehicles:

* Emission control and emission related parts are covered for the
first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use; and

* Specified major emission control components are covered for the
first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use.

According to federal law, an emission control or emission related
part, or a specified major emission control component, that fails
because of a defect in materials or workmanship, must be repaired or
replaced by the vehicle manufacturer free of charge as long as the
vehicle has not exceeded the warranty time or mileage limitations for
the failed part.

Design and Defect Warranty coverage may vary depending on the
type of vehicle you have (e.g., heavy-duty trucks, motorcycles or
recreational vehicles have different time and mileage requirements).
To determine the length of warranty coverage that applies to your
vehicle, look for the emissions warranty information in your owner's
manual or warranty booklet. If you own a California vehicle, you may be entitled to additional warranty coverage.

What Emission Control and Emission Related Parts Are Covered by The
Design and Defect Warranty?

EMISSION CONTROL PARTS

Exhaust Gas Conversion Systems

oxygen sensor thermal reactor
catalytic converter dual-walled exhaust pipe

Exhaust Gas Recirculation System

EGR valve thermal vacuum switch
EGR solenoid EGR spacer plate
EGR backpressure transducer
Sensor and switches use to control EGR flow

Evaporative Emission Control System

purge valve fuel filler cap
purge solenoid vapor storage canister and filter

Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System

PCV valve PCV solenoid

Air Injection System

Air pump diverter, bypass, or gulp valve
reed valve anti-backfire or deceleration valve

Early Fuel Evaporative (EFE) System

EFE valve thermal vacuum switch
heat riser valve

Fuel Metering System

electronic control module (unit) or EFI air flow meter, computer
command module or mixture control unit, deceleration controls,
electronic choke, fuel injectors, fuel injection units and fuel
altitude compensator sensor, bars or rails for EFI or TBI systems,
mixture settings on sealed fuel mixture control solenoid,
diaphragm or other systems, fuel metering components that achieve closed/other feedback control sensors/loop operation switches and valves

Air Induction System

thermostatically controlled air cleaner, air box

Ignition Systems

electronic spark advance timing advance/retard systems,
high energy electronic ignition

Miscellaneous Parts

hoses, gaskets, brackets, clamps and other accessories used in the
above systems

EMISSION RELATED PARTS

These are examples of other parts of your vehicle which have a
primary purpose other than emissions control but which nevertheless
have significant effects on your vehicle's emissions. If any of these
parts fail to function or function improperly, your vehicle's
emissions may exceed federal standards. Therefore, when any of the
parts of the following systems are defective in materials or
workmanship and have failed in a way that would be likely to cause
your vehicle's emissions to exceed federal standards, they should be
repaired or replaced under the emissions warranty:

Fuel Injection System

fuel distributor

Air Induction System

turbocharger intake manifold

Exhaust System

exhaust manifold

Ignition System

distributor spark plugs
ignition wires and coil

Miscellaneous Parts

hoses, gaskets, brackets, clamps, and other accessories used in
the above systems.

What Should I Do If My First Attempt to Obtain Warranty Coverage Is
Denied?

If your first attempt to receive emissions warranty coverage is
denied, you should do the following:

1) Ask for a detailed explanation, in writing as to why emissions
warranty coverage was denied; and

2) Ask for the name(s) of the person(s) involved in the decision
to deny coverage, including anyone from the manufacturer's
regional or zone office; and

3) Ask for the name(s) of the person(s) with the manufacturer you
should contact to appeal the denial of coverage under the
emissions warranty.

4) Contact and, if necessary, write to the person mentioned above
requesting coverage and giving the basis for your request. Repeat
and continue the appeal process until you are satisfied or have
exhausted all means of appeal.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I seriously doubt that will happen, so don't get too worried.
Even if it does and I lose my MB, at least they would do something after i sued the s**t out of them. that is, assuming I would walk away from it.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Even if it does and I lose my MB, at least they would do something after i sued the s**t out of them. that is, assuming I would walk away from it.
It won't your fuel pump is submerged in fuel and the terminals are not insulated. They don't need to be
Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 AM

c200k
You might want to correct your spelling, punctuation, and grammar, etc.. It will give it more legitimacy. Consider having someone write up the petition to be specific to the issue and concise....
Or pay a lawyer to write a real legal document and start assembling owners together because the big joke is that NO ONE, since the dawn of the internet, has ever taken an online petition seriously, since they are inherently flawed, before spelling, grammar, punctuation, and other flaws of the author show up for the lulz. I know I chuckled.

Last edited by sknight; 03-26-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 AM

c200k
PS- Fix the car and sell it. Any sane, rational person with those worries would shed their vanity and go with something they think WON'T blow them up, elevate their cancer risk, or poison them. If anything, this thread and petitions shows MB that they can do no wrong. That's probably the only reason they check the forums- to make their apologist to realist count for the day.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

alright, I will post this in all the E class sections after the 2003 facelift...
You can start here:

http://www.mbca.org/forum/gas-leak-sending-unit

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...ding-unit.html

But don't forget that Daimler has already arranged their ducks in order a long time ago. They know about this but will never let on. That's why you need legal assistance and/or the NHTSA. Or just move on to a different brand.

p.s., MB had a recall this year for leaking fuel filters on recent 2011 model cars. They have engineered some interesting cars throughout their history but still haven't quite figured out how to actually assemble them together properly.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:50 AM

c200k
You can start here:

http://www.mbca.org/forum/gas-leak-sending-unit

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...ding-unit.html

But don't forget that Daimler has already arranged their ducks in order a long time ago. They know about this but will never let on. That's why you need legal assistance and/or the NHTSA. Or just move on to a different brand.

p.s., MB had a recall this year for leaking fuel filters on recent 2011 model cars. They have engineered some interesting cars throughout their history but still haven't quite figured out how to actually assemble them together properly.
This post is dead on. Stuff on these forums, including from the OP, only displays how much brand-loyalty people have, and beyond reason. The only message mercedes gets is that dumb americans (PS- I'm an American) dream to one day own a Mercedes, and will strive to keep it as their symbol of class (not a symbol of actually having achieved a social class) at all costs, including putting up with nonsense like this. Germans around me actually joke about that. Meanwhile, back when I was younger, the British luxury cars, like Rolls, were the class leaders, but everyone knew they were loaded with problems and baggage. Now Mercedes is that company, but they wonderfully get a free pass.

Here, we have a person believing their car is a ticking timebomb, getting others to believe the same, but just like everyone else, will not do what it takes to get the problem away from himself or his family, or send the ultimate message to Mercedes- sell the car and buy something from another brand. Instead, the only message here is that he'll be loyal to the brand and do whatever it takes, irrational or not, to keep the timebomb.

Not a single company makes the best of every class, across the board. This is why not being brand loyal not only protects the consumer, but forces the corporations to make better products. If people weren't buying Mercedes over and over, despite huge lists of problems and now at least 15 years or more of substandard engineering and implementation and struggling with reliability issues, then we'd have a very different company that we see now. Then you wouldn't have people on these forums wondering why their $200k+ AMG is only worth 70k a couple years later, and having trouble fetching that amount, on top of that.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
From what I have seen is that only the early cars have this issue.There are 2 e55s in my family and they both get filled up on every fill and have never had an issue.

Next time you take her in I would replace everything with what a 2006 car gets.Or I would take it to another shop since the problem keeps coming back.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 AM

c200k
It's pretty obvious that changing shops won't resolve this. Mercedes has a track record of having defective parts in the replacement inventory, and despite defects (like M271 heads), they will continue using them in repairs, warranty or not, until the supply is exhausted.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
It seems like they are replacing it with a bad part,give them a 2006 vin next time.MB changes alot of things over the years and you might not even be able to get 2006 parts to work.

I know the early 03 and 04 had a full spare and the trunk is different.That is probably why you guys keep having this issue,mb probably fixed it in the later cars and you keep changing out a bad part.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak RECALL petition *(*(PLEASE READ)*)*