Sponsored by:

Michelin's PSS - wait for it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I will be very disappointed if the new PSS has lower grip rating than the PS2...
Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by GregMB
...Anyone tried a set of the PSS tires yet and have "real world" feedback???

-G
Just hurled a set on my son's C63. 245/40s in front and 275/35s on the rear. Both on stock 18 inch rims. I only have a few miles on them, but can attest that they're quiet, and feel very solid in "spirited", but less than flat out cornering. Likewise, a fairly aggressive launch just hooks and goes, compared to the stock-size PS2s (and the previous Pirellis) which would cheerfully vaporize under more-or-less similar conditions.

Likewise, grabbing second gear and flooring it at 50 just has the car hooking up, where it previously had hissy fits (this car is chipped).

They ride a little better than than the previous Pirelli/Michelin combo, but then again, they're at full tread.

So far, very impressive, but my son gets back from Afghanistan later this month, and that's when these sneakers get their full baptism of fire.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'72 Suburban
Really happy with the Hankooks so far. Excellent dry and wet handling, very quiet.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Well my wheel guy emailed me and told me my f14s are in and asked if I wanted to switch from the ps2s and try the pilot super sports and I went with the pss.I will let you guys know how they feel.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
We've installed three sets of PSS' on C63's two have had positive feedback, the 3rd hasn't drive his vehicle yet.

Let me know if we can help any of you guys with tires, we can beat or match tirerack on both the Michelin and hankook tires.

James@ACG
Old 04-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
James,

Maybe you might have a better insider information as to if/and/or when Michelin will have a 285/30/19 size in the PSS? Having a hard time getting a concrete answer from those guys. Let me know.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Originally Posted by WayneE
Really happy with the Hankooks so far. Excellent dry and wet handling, very quiet.
i have hankooks on my dd and like them for the weather around here.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
So is there any official rating showing whether the PSS rates the same, better, or worse than the PS2s in terms only of dry weather grip? It makes sense that if they increased tread-life by using a harder compound that they would have sacrificed a little bit of grip
Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JamE55
James,

Maybe you might have a better insider information as to if/and/or when Michelin will have a 285/30/19 size in the PSS? Having a hard time getting a concrete answer from those guys. Let me know.

Thanks
That tire size hasn't been released yet, but I will find out for you in two weeks when I play golf with one of the michelin reps.

I will let you know
Old 04-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
That tire size hasn't been released yet, but I will find out for you in two weeks when I play golf with one of the michelin reps.

I will let you know
Awesome! Yes please keep me posted.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
So is there any official rating showing whether the PSS rates the same, better, or worse than the PS2s in terms only of dry weather grip? It makes sense that if they increased tread-life by using a harder compound that they would have sacrificed a little bit of grip
You'd think that's the case. But according to Michelin it has better dry grip and the better wear is due primarily to using a material called Twaron. And then there's a variable patch configuration that supposedly also increases grip while reducing heat (and allows for better tread wear.) So, we'll have to see if that's all true....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ChkX...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ODzn...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs6oh...eature=related

"Michelin's in-house testing, performed at the Michelin Technology Center, helped identify six key areas in which the Michelin Pilot Super Sport outperforms its predecessor, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2:

* Road-holding on dry surfaces: Tests showed a 1.5-second gain on a 2,700-meter closed-circuit track.
* Braking on dry surfaces: When decelerating from 100 km/h to a full stop, braking distance was shortened by 1.5 meters.

* Road-holding on wet surfaces: Time was reduced by 2.5 seconds on a 4,100-meter closed-circuit track.
* Braking on wet roads: When decelerating from 80 to 10 km/h, braking distance was shortened by 3 meters.
* Total mileage on the track: 50% more laps.
* Total mileage on the road: 10% greater distance.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
We've installed three sets of PSS' on C63's two have had positive feedback, the 3rd hasn't drive his vehicle yet.

Let me know if we can help any of you guys with tires, we can beat or match tirerack on both the Michelin and hankook tires.

James@ACG

Good to know for future purchases. Thanks, James.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by WayneE
Is anyone else waiting for the release of Michelin's PSS? The reviews sound good, but it's going to be another 3 weeks until they're shipped from Tire rack.

I loved the PS2s on my E55 and these are supposed to be an improvement over the PS2.

I want a tire that...

... is quiet
... sticks from a dig
... handles well dry or wet
... reasonable ride
... wears well

... in that order. Ride and wear are way down the list, I definitely want something that is quiet and sticks.

I read the C&D test from last year that compared a bunch of tires to the benchmark (and expen$ive) PS2s. They liked the Hankook Ventus V12s - link to review. I know some of you guys are running the Hankooks - how are they from a dig?

I think I'm going with 245/35ZR19 fr / 275/30ZR19 rr, if that matters.
The Hankooks max speed rating is only Y. The 030 performance package option on my CLS 55 requires (Y). The parenthesis gives it a higher speed rating ( 200+ mph) than the non parenthesis. The PS2s complies with MB required tire rating of (Y) as well as XL [extra load).

Why spend $100K + on a car and skimp on a few dollars savings for tires?
I like to have the best and will pay for it as well as the highest rated tire on the market.

In comparison, the PS2s are better in cornering and noise than the stock MBs. It is worth the xtra $$$.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner

I will let you know
Is ACG an authorized Michelin Dealer? If not, it becomes a big burden for tire warranty claims. PS2 and PS A/W are known for chunking rubber, a big issue for Michelin .That may be the reason for changing their rubber compound for the successor to the PS2
Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by m_berman
Is ACG an authorized Michelin Dealer? If not, it becomes a big burden for tire warranty claims. PS2 and PS A/W are known for chunking rubber, a big issue for Michelin .That may be the reason for changing their rubber compound for the successor to the PS2
By purchasing through direct Michelin distributors all of our customers have no issues with warranty claims.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'72 Suburban
Why spend $100K + on a car and skimp on a few dollars savings for tires?
I like to have the best and will pay for it as well as the highest rated tire on the market.

Having the best isn't the same as paying for a name. The Hankooks put up numbers close enough to a PS2 that you wouldn't know the difference on my E63 estate.

In comparison, the PS2s are better in cornering and noise than the stock MBs. It is worth the xtra $$$.

"... than the stock MBs." Are you referring to the stock Continentals? If so, yes I agree. The PS2s (and Hankooks) are much better tires than the stock Contis. However, I did run my best times in my 06 E55 on the stock Contis

Having owned PS2s on my last E* AMG (as well as Nittos and Contis), I don't think the PS2s are worth the $$$ over the V12s I have on my current E* AMG.

After living with the V12s for a month, I'd definitely buy another set for this car. Quiet, excellent cornering, great from a dig, good ride quality for 19s.

Finally, I'm semi-retired and I have 5 cars - I try to save $$ on consumables where it doesn't affect performance