W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens when/if STAR cant even find a problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
What happens when/if STAR cant even find a problem?

I recently had some airmatic hic-ups, and a rough idle, So I figured I'd take it to autozone for a free scan. Long story short, Two of their code readers found 0 codes, even when we purposefully pulled fuses and unplugged a tail light... They said to take it to MB, and that got me thinking, if the obd-II system itself is broken, how do you diagnose it? And why is my car throwing zero codes, even when its appearent somethings wrong? The IC even told me when I unplugged various things....
Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
You can't check airmatic faults with a OBD2 reader. If your car has a rough idle and no CEL i would check the motor and transmission mounts first. Even if you unplug taillights lol it's not going to throw a CEL but rather it will show up in your display cluster as a malfunction. You have to remember the CEL is mostly emission system related and O2 faults.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by benz_addict
You can't check airmatic faults with a OBD2 reader. If your car has a rough idle and no CEL i would check the motor and transmission mounts first. Even if you unplug taillights lol it's not going to throw a CEL but rather it will show up in your display cluster as a malfunction. You have to remember the CEL is mostly emission system related and O2 faults.
Actually, in one way or another, it's 100% emissions related. benz_addict is correct....a DAS will be required for proper diagnosis.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
ahh shoot, another trip to the stealer to get raped with fees and "oh we found this and fixed it" claims..