Misfiring only on left drivers side bank update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Misfiring only on left drivers side bank update

I'm still suffering, got it diagnosed from the dealer they said check for timing. They checked for timing but saw it was spot on. Plugs, coils, wires have been swapped already. No luck. Lifters seem fine too, no broken springs or any lose rockers.

I'm running no cats so can't be a clogged cat? BUT I do have a dual X muffler could it be a clog in there somewhere? Dealership wasn't able to check for this.

Still showing CEL misfiring P0300, 305 to 308. No other codes. This is a very mysterious weird problem I honestly believe there's something wrong with the harness somewhere perhaps under the supercharger or exhaust manifold gasket is gone because there is a loud ticking noise coming from that side. I'll be replacing the header gasket anyway. If problem doesn't go away then maybe it's time to get rid of her. There's a very low mileage CLS55 that's very tempting here... hmm.

Last edited by benz_addict; 05-15-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two 957 Cayenne GTS's (black and silver), Duc749 (dark), departed '03 E55
Coming from a Porsche, misfiring, and ticking of the engine would sometimes represent piston slap. Before getting to that though, have you checked compression on those cylinders? You could be misfiring due to lack of compression. It's a pretty simple test and should start to rule things in or out.

if you have low compression, you have a leak somewhere...it could be at the header... valves, lifters... OR it's low, which could mean head gasket or bad piston rings, scoring of the cylinder.

I know this is all a lot, so if you can start with a compression test, if that's good then you are back to your trying to figure out plugs, packs, wires, etc.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Viper SRT-10, 68 Camaro
This may have been your first thing to try, but I recently had the same problem and replaced the o2 sensor and now she drives like new! Had 14 codes appear!! Swapped out the o2 and now it's fine
Old 05-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Two 957 Cayenne GTS's (black and silver), Duc749 (dark), departed '03 E55
O2 sensor would be a hell of a lot better than what I was point towards. Of course my experience with this issue was with a Cayenne Turbo. Google piston slap for Porsche...you'll find a lot. I would advise that you not dive into a head gasket replacement though until you do a compression and leak down test. But I've seen your other posts, you seem to know your sh$t anyway.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
I will swap the swap the upstream O2's left to right. Even though left O2 is new
after leak down test will come

thanks
Old 05-15-2011, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
How did you change out the coils, with brand new ones?