W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone point me in the right direction towards a brake flush?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Can anyone point me in the right direction towards a brake flush?

I have the pump and I have the SDS. I just don't know what to do exactly. I bleed a billion brake systems but never a sensatronic.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
i believe BrianS posted a DIY on this. the man is money when it comes to DIY.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
According to the factory SBC protocol document if you have SDS it will tell you the steps to follow: ("Proper system bleeding is critical! Follow directions in SDS")

fwiw, here's the procedure without using SDS to disable the SBC. But once you disable SBC via Star, then I'm assuming the procedure should be the same. Not disabling SBC can cause bodily injury, of course.

There is a reason that MB specified DOT 4+. It's the SBC unit, which requires a higher grade brake fluid than DOT 4 for viscosity reasons. DOT 4 runs a very good risk of damaging the SBC unit over time. Use ONLY DOT 4+ or equivalent.

Bleeding the brakes without using a Star system is doable, but not preferred because it will only be a partial bleed. The Star system operates a variety of values in the SBC unit during its bleed sequence. Any other form of bleeding, including the procedure described below, is less than a complete bleed. In order to do a bleed without Star, you need a Motive pressure bleeder in order to apply positive pressure at the brake fluid reservoir.

Procedure:

Unplug the SBC control unit. To be double safe, you can also disconnect the ground from the batter in the trunk.

Note: Some recommend using a baster to suction out as much old fluid from the reservoir as possible before starting the bleed. This is a good idea, but make sure that no air is allowed to be introduced to the system. Then top the reservoir back up with fresh fluid.

1. Fill Motive bleeder with two liters of MB DOT 4+ brake fluid.
2. Attach pressure cap to reservoir and pump up bleeder to 2 bar pressure and confirm bleeder cap holds the pressure. If it does, pump up the bleeder to 2.2 bar and begin bleeding.
3. Caliper sequence is RR, LR, LF RF (RF is last since it is nearest the SBC unit).
4. Attach catch bottle to RR bleeder and then open bleeder. Allow fluid to run until its clear and free of bubbles. Close bleeder screw and move catch bottle to LR.
5. Recheck the pressure on the bleeder and pump back up as necessary.
6. Repeat the procedure at each corner in the sequence mention above.
7. On the factory front calipers, there are two bleed screws. Do the outer bleeders first.
8. Once you've bled each caliper, release the pressure on the bleeder, top up the reservoir to the fill line as needed.

It is not necessary at all to pump the brake pedal if you use a Motive bleeder, and it is a one-man job. Follow the above procedure at your own risk, but it's what I did when I bled my brakes and I got no SBC warnings, and have a very nice, firm pedal.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S63 AMG, E55 AMG,C Class AMG CLK55 AMG, Jeep Rubicon
Nice write up

I wonder what bodily injury they are possibly referring to
Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I wasn't sure if the SDS would give me instructions on how to do it. I figured I could do it without even messing with the SDS but I imagine some parts of the pump may not bleed properly such as the pressure reservoir.

Thanks for the posts guys. I should be tackling this in the next few days.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
The write up comes from member Komp55. There are numerous threads here about flushing SBC systems.

p.s., GT-ER: I have the .pdf document on the SBC system. It's too big to upload here but PM if you want it.....

Last edited by 220S; 05-31-2011 at 10:35 PM.