Trunk sensor malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Trunk sensor malfunction

Earlier today I borrowed my friend my E55 to get some zip ties from ace hardware and when he got back he said "Your car keeps telling me to close the trunk!" and I thought maybe the switch was stuck so I freed up some time and took it for a drive, and the IC kept reading "Close Trunk!" in blood red, so I called roadside and to no avail I can not figure this out. I pulled the panels off and looked for pinched wires and loose connections. nothing, even unplugged everything and rechecked connections. nothing. Any advise before I take it to the stealer?
Old 06-12-2011, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5
I checked the WIS to see if this was a common problem with a solution but it didn't have any info. I started perusing the net and found that the W211 trunks are prone to having the wires cut/pinched/damaged as evident in the following threads:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...k-problem.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...5-e55-amg.html

I know you stated you checked the wires but are you sure you traced them all the way back?? Get the old DMM (Digital multi meter) out and start checking the voltage in the wires, that should eliminate or confirm at least 1 variable
Old 06-12-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
i would think this has got to be with the lock mechanism. I am not sure it the lock is in the trunk lid or the body of the car. Find the lock mechanism and then trace wires. If the lock is in the trunk lid then it could definitely be wires cut by the left hinge.

remember too look closely at the wires and undo the black tape that keeps them together...it took me two times to find the cut wires on my trunk.

Last edited by Hellzno; 06-12-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
i just took the lock mechanism all the way apart, didn't see any weird sensors. what exactly tells the car whether the trunk is closed or not? pics to come
Old 06-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55 AMG
im just guessing that there has to be an open/close switch inside the lock mechanism. Were there any electronic wires going to the lock....if so use multimeter ohm value and check resistance to change when lock is locked vs open lock.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Fixed it! I hope! Phone died, uploading pics tomorrow AM. but I ran down the whole wiring harness and found nothing, but a minor pinch. so I left that alone and went ahead and took apart the lock/latch mechanism and saw a motor and all the gears to latch and unlatch it, not much else. but I further tore it apart and cleaned everything and put it back together and put all the zip ties and covers, screws and stuff back on and It is now working again! So I further inspected it and I may be wrong but I think the lock on the trunk uses magnets to monitor whether the trunk is open or not, but highly unlikely as I did not find magnets near the bumper to trigger a 'closed' trunk signal. I will tear it apart tomorrow and really get an in depth look and tons of pics. Stay tuned!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E55 Designo
my trunk is closed but trunk open light stays on dash