Datalogger ? about logging timing correction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Datalogger ? about logging timing correction

Do any of the dataloggers out there that any of you guys use offer a block to view/record timing retard/correction? Not actual timing that the car is running but a record of knock/retard/correction whatever you want to call it.

I was thinking about getting the Innovate OT-2 or Kiwi wifi with Rev app setup to use with my iphone, don't believe these offer it though. But I also would be interested in some kind of OBD II port hookup scan tool or software to use on my laptop for logging.

I have looked around at some of the different ones people use but don't ever seem to find either on their site or on here anything about logging the actual correction.

For example, for my Audi I use something called Vag Com and it will save a file to an excel sheet and I typically log blocks that read intake air temp, before top dead center timing, timing correction (to know if timing should be increased or decreased with the boost level I am running), boost, exhaust gas temps, air/fuel, etc.

I would like to log my intake air temps and then what kind of ignition timing the car is running, but also want to see how much timing the ecu may be pulling due to rising intake air temps and how beneficial it may be for me to add methanol injection, and then perhaps even get the car retuned with slighly higher timing and a little leaner a/f ratio. I don't know what the car runs for timing right now and how that compares to others with safe or more on the edge tunes, but I do know it runs around 11.5-11.8 a/f ratio which could be brough up to say a steady 12.0 across the board and perhaps a little timing added since I was told it is slighly conservative and not anywhere near on the edge right now.

For example here is one of my logs from the Audi. You can see the columns in "group b" labeled "idle stabilization" with "CF" below it and all the zeros in the columns. That is showing it was pulling zero timing across all cylinders since there was no inaudible knock present during that log with that boost level and ignition advance being ran. And then for anyone else curious on the other blocks they are from left to right (coolant temp, intake air temp, ignition timing, timing correction/pull, actual air/fuel and then requested air/fuel .)

I want to be able to do this with the E55, but like I said I haven't seen anyone log timing correction so don't know if it is available or not.

Last edited by urbamworm; 06-20-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I have autoenginuity and it gives me the timing CF's for each cylinder. The only difference is that the resolution of the file when logging with vagcom ( I had it for my 05 GTI ) was much higher than with the E55. For some reason the sampling rate of the E55 is really slow, especially if you put all 8 cylinders ( you can only LOG up to four items, but you can see all 8 cylinders if you are not logging ). But I can read just about anything Vagcom can with it regardless ( except for actual A/F Ratios because our cars are narrowband for some reason that I can't figure out ).
Old 06-20-2011, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool so it is available. And yeah I read that these have narrowband o2 sensors a while back which blew my mind. And I hope you are talking about Vag Com in turbo mode because it isn't so hot without it while logging 3 blocks, so my god it must be down right painful logging the E55 if slower than just regular Vag Com logging.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by urbamworm
Cool so it is available. And yeah I read that these have narrowband o2 sensors a while back which blew my mind. And I hope you are talking about Vag Com in turbo mode because it isn't so hot without it while logging 3 blocks, so my god it must be down right painful logging the E55 if slower than just regular Vag Com logging.
It's pretty painful. When I had vacom I would log 7-8 thing at a time, do a pull in 3rd gear ( which is closer to the E55's 2nd gear in comparison ) and the resolution was pretty darn good. With the E55 I sometimes log 3 things first and then do another WOT run and log 3 different things afterwards. OR I can do a 3rd gear pull to 130mph and get all 6 items with decent resolution but going 130mph while logging kinda sucks...lol.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah it sucks you have to go so fast in order to log with a descent file since lower gears go by to fast as well as not having good load. I usually log in 3rd in the Audi but I have done some 4th gear logs to see under different load, that is a bit much hiting 150mph at 8000rpm.