2004 E55 reliability vs. my current car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 555 Likes on 366 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by lawguy
While your point is true, its quite unfair. As a young professional, i was chastized by peers for driving a Lexus ES300 (when they first came out) because folks thought it was too nice, and suggested I either was paid too much or a show off. Always irked me, since its my business how I spent my own money.

The funny reverse of that is true as well. After rather unexpectedly selling my last 7-series BMW (private sale to an enthusiast who made an offer I couldnt refuse), I was without a car, and trying to figure out what to do rather quickly. A friend of mine took me to an MB dealer a town over to look at a CLK63 convert. I wasnt wild about it, but while there, saw a Mini Cooper S - 6mt, loaded, etc., with very low miles. It was "only" $15k, as they'd had it for 90 days after a trade and were ready to send it to auction. The price was actually $2k less than NADA trade value (as they had hosed the guy who traded it to them...lol). After driving it for 15 minutes, I bought it and LOVED driving it for the 6 months I owned it [and I got more money at a different MB dealer on trade than I paid 6 mos earlier). Really a fun little car for the money. However, I bet I had 15 people ask me if things were okay with my business, as they didnt percieve it to be a car suggesting professional success, and presumed I must be having money issues to be driving such a car. How funny was that? Anyhow, once I found the e63 which I had been searching for, I ended all the speculation that I was broke. (Even thought the e63 was used, people still assumed it was a new $100k car...and my image as a "baller" was quickly restored, for whatever its worth.) Funny thing is now I have people tell me they've heard about my car and want to see it....its the only AMG car in my little sleepy midwestern town.

Anyhow, I digress.
I used to LOVE my mom's electric blue Mini Cooper S. She never drove it because it was stick. My father and I would fight over that car and at the time he drove a CL500.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Talking

Originally Posted by 220S
Go for it.

Confucius once said: "A cheap Mercedes will be the most expensive car you'll ever own."

btw, the same goes for an expensive Mercedes....
Old 07-13-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by lawguy
While your point is true, its quite unfair. As a young professional, i was chastized by peers for driving a Lexus ES300 (when they first came out) because folks thought it was too nice, and suggested I either was paid too much or a show off. Always irked me, since its my business how I spent my own money.

The funny reverse of that is true as well. After rather unexpectedly selling my last 7-series BMW (private sale to an enthusiast who made an offer I couldnt refuse), I was without a car, and trying to figure out what to do rather quickly. A friend of mine took me to an MB dealer a town over to look at a CLK63 convert. I wasnt wild about it, but while there, saw a Mini Cooper S - 6mt, loaded, etc., with very low miles. It was "only" $15k, as they'd had it for 90 days after a trade and were ready to send it to auction. The price was actually $2k less than NADA trade value (as they had hosed the guy who traded it to them...lol). After driving it for 15 minutes, I bought it and LOVED driving it for the 6 months I owned it [and I got more money at a different MB dealer on trade than I paid 6 mos earlier). Really a fun little car for the money. However, I bet I had 15 people ask me if things were okay with my business, as they didnt percieve it to be a car suggesting professional success, and presumed I must be having money issues to be driving such a car. How funny was that? Anyhow, once I found the e63 which I had been searching for, I ended all the speculation that I was broke. (Even thought the e63 was used, people still assumed it was a new $100k car...and my image as a "baller" was quickly restored, for whatever its worth.) Funny thing is now I have people tell me they've heard about my car and want to see it....its the only AMG car in my little sleepy midwestern town.

Anyhow, I digress.
I gotta say I went through a similar situation late last year when I got my E. The few people that I told about it at the place I worked thought I made way too much, never mind wondering if I had any money stored up over the years or if I had other sources of income, just that I shouldn't be driving such a nice car at my age (30 at the time I picked it up). Really irked me to no end that mentality.

Image and perception can be both beneficial and detrimental, especially in your line of business. Personally I would recommend however an Acura TL, good looks, reliability, and a bit luxury all in one package that wont break the bank.