Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have IAT log on dyno?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Anyone have IAT log on dyno?

Does anyone have a log or know what their car went from and up to while doing a dyno run? And also is it comparable or different from a street log/test of intake air temps? Preferably in warmer weather also.

I had a dyno operator do a log of my car and it went from 135 F up to 175 F during the 3rd gear pull and then went back to 135 range a few seconds after the pull. So it seems that the Johnson cm 30 pump and Eurocharged heat exchanger bring the temp back down quickly but during the run the intercooler sucks. It was right around 80 outside when this was done, probably a little warmer inside but don't know how much.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
I have plenty of data logs of my SRT-6 but none on the dyno because they use the OBDII during the pulls. In the 1/4 mile with an ambient of 85º my IAT's start at 115º and end around 155º. Driving back to pick up the slip is all the time it takes to get back down to 120º more or less. On the road course (20 minute session) I see a maximum of 175º and a drop to 135º under braking. I have the stock I/C pump and a huge H/E.

Les
Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Velociabstract
I have plenty of data logs of my SRT-6 but none on the dyno because they use the OBDII during the pulls. In the 1/4 mile with an ambient of 85º my IAT's start at 115º and end around 155º. Driving back to pick up the slip is all the time it takes to get back down to 120º more or less. On the road course (20 minute session) I see a maximum of 175º and a drop to 135º under braking. I have the stock I/C pump and a huge H/E.

Les
You have a slowpoke SRT6 though.

Urbamworm, those temps seem pretty high but I've never logged mine on the dyno, only on the street where the amount of air hitting the heat exchanger is enormous in comparison so it my not be fair to compare. On the street on a full 3rd gear pull I barely go over 150*.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I still need to get a logger of some sort so I can do some logs of my own out on the street but I am not so sure if it is going to be that much different on the road compared to the dyno.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by urbamworm
I still need to get a logger of some sort so I can do some logs of my own out on the street but I am not so sure if it is going to be that much different on the road compared to the dyno.
I think there should be, just compare the amount of airflow there is in a dyno vs. the street. Stick your hand out the window at 100+mph and compare that to the fan at the dyno...my dyno's fan is pretty dinky.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Who knows, I am trying to figure out why my air/fuel takes a dive in the upper rpms or a downward slope on the dyno which then makes power take a dive instead of continuing up or flat. I see where many others appear to show a stable flat a/f all the way past 6000rpm and power not crashing like mine as well.

I would say it has to be intake air temp related and seeing the 175* temp makes sense, I just don't understand why since others have dynos in the same/close to same/higher temps and also with almost identical mods in some cases and even tuner in some cases.

Yourself for example. We both have K&N filters, Eurocharged tune, 180mm pulley, Eurocharged heat exchanger, Kleeman headers, no cats.

Differences being I have an "80mm" (really 78mm inside) throttle body and not sure if you have bigger injectors or not (I have the ones that are listed on the Eurocharged site) and car was tuned on dyno with a/f to be slightly under 12:1.

I assume your dyno was done in very close to the same temps as mine from your location (mine were both right around 80-82* outside) with some what high humidity also and a little warmer dyno room temps than outside the building.

For reference, YOUR DYNO.

I also looked at Skratch's dyno and his hp stays flat also like yours instead of falling and air/fuel doesn't take a dive at the end (no clue what temps his was in though since he lives where it gets cold). Then there is the recent Bramage dyno where hp stayed flat also, no a/f on graph.

Here is my best dyno jet run with car cool. Air/fuel looked much better on this day staying pretty flat until about 5900rpm where it then falls and so does the power. And for reference my STD corrected numbers were 509/563.

Here is a run when the engine and supercharger were both hot, as you see air/fuel and power both sucked straying off from the 11.8 range it should be at.

Here is my dyno dynamics dyno best run with car cool. As you see it peaked at about 5700rpm then started a downward turn.

Here is a pic of the dyno screen where when the car was cool the a/f stayed up closer to 12:1 but still was low and on a downward trend the whole time and then you see the other 2 were much worse when the engine was warm and so was power.

Just a little frustrating because I have intake air temp problems with my other car also while running the same damn parts as many others! I run meth injection on that car so it controls intake temps but with it off they rise pretty good. I plan to put meth on this car as well, I just want to figure out why this is happening first.

Last edited by urbamworm; 07-13-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 PM

SRT-6
Originally Posted by GT-ER
You have a slowpoke SRT6 though.

Urbamworm, those temps seem pretty high but I've never logged mine on the dyno, only on the street where the amount of air hitting the heat exchanger is enormous in comparison so it my not be fair to compare. On the street on a full 3rd gear pull I barely go over 150*.
Ouch! I hear Salinas calling.

As the rpms approach redline the ECU slightly closes the throttle body and pulls timing (varies from 1rst to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd. etc.) and the AFR's drop quite a bit. At least that's what happens on my car. The ECU also pulls timing as the IAT's rise. The 1/4 mile generates more heat than a 3rd. gear dyno pull but also has much more air flow. I don't think 150º on the dyno is unusual.

Les
Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
My only experience is at the track.

84 degree ambien
105 degree at the start of the run
And 160 degree crossing the line
Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
My dyno was just done,I didnt log temps but it was like 78d outside and about 83d in the shop.Im going to do an 80mm tb soon and might drop boost down to a 168mm for lower temps,If I can make the same top end with a little less torque Im game.

You want to see a crazzy dyno.look at this car.All it has is a 168,johnson pump,80mmtb and kleemann headers with there tuning and it pulls to redline.

Last edited by skratch77; 07-13-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Who knows, I am trying to figure out why my air/fuel takes a dive in the upper rpms or a downward slope on the dyno which then makes power take a dive instead of continuing up or flat. I see where many others appear to show a stable flat a/f all the way past 6000rpm and power not crashing like mine as well.

I would say it has to be intake air temp related and seeing the 175* temp makes sense, I just don't understand why since others have dynos in the same/close to same/higher temps and also with almost identical mods in some cases and even tuner in some cases.

Yourself for example. We both have K&N filters, Eurocharged tune, 180mm pulley, Eurocharged heat exchanger, Kleeman headers, no cats.

Differences being I have an "80mm" (really 78mm inside) throttle body and not sure if you have bigger injectors or not (I have the ones that are listed on the Eurocharged site) and car was tuned on dyno with a/f to be slightly under 12:1.

I assume your dyno was done in very close to the same temps as mine from your location (mine were both right around 80-82* outside) with some what high humidity also and a little warmer dyno room temps than outside the building.

For reference, YOUR DYNO.

I also looked at Skratch's dyno and his hp stays flat also like yours instead of falling and air/fuel doesn't take a dive at the end (no clue what temps his was in though since he lives where it gets cold). Then there is the recent Bramage dyno where hp stayed flat also, no a/f on graph.

Here is my best dyno jet run with car cool. Air/fuel looked much better on this day staying pretty flat until about 5900rpm where it then falls and so does the power. And for reference my STD corrected numbers were 509/563.

Here is a run when the engine and supercharger were both hot, as you see air/fuel and power both sucked straying off from the 11.8 range it should be at.

Here is my dyno dynamics dyno best run with car cool. As you see it peaked at about 5700rpm then started a downward turn.

Here is a pic of the dyno screen where when the car was cool the a/f stayed up closer to 12:1 but still was low and on a downward trend the whole time and then you see the other 2 were much worse when the engine was warm and so was power.

Just a little frustrating because I have intake air temp problems with my other car also while running the same damn parts as many others! I run meth injection on that car so it controls intake temps but with it off they rise pretty good. I plan to put meth on this car as well, I just want to figure out why this is happening first.
While I do find 175* to be quite high for a single 3rd gear pull, I can't say mine doesn't get there as I haven't checked it out on the dyno. I'll tell you what though, I've seen wavy lines like the ones you have in your dyno's from running too little timing. Have you checked to see how much timing you are pulling at WOT? I sometimes pull anywhere from 3-4* of timing at random spots which apparently is fine ( On my VW, pulling up to 6* of timing was fine and it was a motronic system ). Maybe you just need a more aggressive tune?

Les, I saw what you ran in Ponce...not bad my fiend. I was honestly impressed with the traps and the times.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
My only experience is at the track.

84 degree ambien
105 degree at the start of the run
And 160 degree crossing the line
160F and still pulled an 11.55 1320
Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GT-ER
While I do find 175* to be quite high for a single 3rd gear pull, I can't say mine doesn't get there as I haven't checked it out on the dyno. I'll tell you what though, I've seen wavy lines like the ones you have in your dyno's from running too little timing. Have you checked to see how much timing you are pulling at WOT? I sometimes pull anywhere from 3-4* of timing at random spots which apparently is fine ( On my VW, pulling up to 6* of timing was fine and it was a motronic system ). Maybe you just need a more aggressive tune?

Les, I saw what you ran in Ponce...not bad my fiend. I was honestly impressed with the traps and the times.
I believe these cars are the same as my Audi and are capable of pulling up to 12* of timing so yeah pulling 3-4* would be right where you want it to be just aggresive enough but not to much. The tune is claimed to be somewhat conservative so I guess it could be possible. I haven't checked timing since I don't have a logger. I just can't decided what I want to get because I really want to get the "cool" iphone app style logger but I also want to be able to log timing correction which I believe is only available from one of the more indepth loggers I would use with my laptop. I could be wrong here though. What kind of timing do you see in your car?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
I believe these cars are the same as my Audi and are capable of pulling up to 12* of timing so yeah pulling 3-4* would be right where you want it to be just aggresive enough but not to much. The tune is claimed to be somewhat conservative so I guess it could be possible. I haven't checked timing since I don't have a logger. I just can't decided what I want to get because I really want to get the "cool" iphone app style logger but I also want to be able to log timing correction which I believe is only available from one of the more indepth loggers I would use with my laptop. I could be wrong here though. What kind of timing do you see in your car?
I can't remember the actual timing advance...it's been months since I've logged the car. I wanna say 18* or so but can't say for sure. I'd have to log again to make sure.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Logged the car today and never saw over 115aits ambient is 77
Old 07-14-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
Logged the car today and never saw over 115aits ambient is 77
Other than the H/E what type of cooling setup do you have? What type of pump, is it a split system?
Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by jmb614
Other than the H/E what type of cooling setup do you have? What type of pump, is it a split system?
stock setup with upgraded oem pump.I didnt do any full blasts to red line because I get nothing but tc kicking in and there was a lot of cars on the road.

I did do a few pulls,I just got dash command for my cell and trying to figure it out.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG
If you get any numbers from the track please share
Old 07-14-2011, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG
I was hitting about 190-200F consistently at the end of the 1/4. Ambient temps the same or lower as Forrest's. 75-85F.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Next time I hit the track ill log temps,I went last sat and ran 11.6 and it was about 78out and verry muggy.

Im debating on doing a 80mmtb and lowering to a 172mm pulley,your seeing those temps because of the 185 pulley for sure.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG
I have a hard time believing that a 5mm smaller pulley and a split cooling system would make a 40F difference in IAT's, but perhaps it does... if the formula I see on the forums is correct that extra 5mm of pulley is only 1PSI.

Not sure what type of pump Forrest is running.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jmb614
I was hitting about 190-200F consistently at the end of the 1/4. Ambient temps the same or lower as Forrest's. 75-85F.
Dang that is real high. What kind of times/traps were you doing with the car running like that? I would think power would be destroyed from those temps making the car run rich as hell.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:02 PM

SRT-6
If it helps I peak at 17.7 PSI. I looked at my latest logs and I don't have the spark advance from the 1/4 mile. I can look it up from the latest track day if you like. But as GT-ER points out, I have a slow AMG 6. One day I'll meet him at the track .... after I get drag radials.

Les
Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, but that isn't going to help me any since it isn't the same car so kind of pointless. Oh and I am rooting for GT-ER
Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 AMG
Dang that is real high. What kind of times/traps were you doing with the car running like that? I would think power would be destroyed from those temps making the car run rich as hell.
12.31@114.4
Old 07-14-2011, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
IAT's were near 178 degrees when I did my 530 whp. Always over 170 on every run. I have a 185 mm pulley so that doesn't help

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone have IAT log on dyno?