Sponsored by:

Newb here with newb questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Newb here with newb questions.

Hello everyone, I'm Marcus and new to MBWorld, sup?

I'm buying a 2006 E55 AMG, I haven't took delivery yet but its on its way. I didn't check JD Power or anything before buying, and earlier today ran across a report showing that, well, the mid-decade AMG cars weren't very reliable. At all. And mine already has 78,000 miles on it.

Good news is the Carfax is pretty clean, nothing major has broke, yet. And its the 'yet' that bothers me.

I was just hoping to solicit some input here: when I take it to the dealer later this week, what should I have them look at? For 06 was there any one thing that stood out more than another? I'm seeing here that a few people had problems with the crank shaft positioning sensor, and I've read elsewhere that the stock supercharger intercooler pump wasn't engineered to par. How much does the Johnson CM30 usually run and where is a good place to get it? I think I'll leave in the stocker now and replace when it breaks, still good to be prepared.

And finally, any MB fans on here in Kansas City?
Old 07-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
check the s/c clutch assembly, motor mounts, ic pump for sure. cm30 is good for a stock car. i would to a transmission and rear diff drain and fill, change spark plugs
Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
check the s/c clutch assembly, motor mounts, ic pump for sure. cm30 is good for a stock car. i would to a transmission and rear diff drain and fill, change spark plugs
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.

Hmmm, and a good bit of that can be found under DIY it looks like. Suddenly I'm not so worried about my purchase
Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
You might consider an aftermarket warranty for your new ride. These cars can get expensive when it come to repairs. It could be you are starting one of the biggest love hate relationships you will ever have with a car. When she is broke, you will hate her. The rest of the time you will get an ear to ear grin every time you apply a little right foot pressure to the throttle.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cal1
It could be you are starting one of the biggest love hate relationships you will ever have with a car. When she is broke, you will hate her.

Story of my wife.

Originally Posted by cal1
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you.