W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Suspension mode setting affect shift quality?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Does Suspension mode setting affect shift quality?

The E55 has three suspension settings and three transmission shift programs.... does that mean that there are a total of 9 unique shift programs in the TCU for firmness and speed??

I mostly have been driving around town with the suspension in Comfort mode, and when I play with the Manual shifting the shifts are SLOOOOOW. (This would be #7 in the table). I switched up the suspension setting to Sport 2 and played around with the shifting again (#9 in the table) and it "feels" like the shifts happen more firmly and with less delay. This has me wondering if there is really anything happening or it's just a placebo effect?

Does anyone know how inter-related the suspension settings and transmission settings really are? If nothing else it would be interesting to hear what number combination you guys typically drive around in (#1 - #9)
Old 08-05-2011, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
The transmission and the suspension modes are not related to each other. But the transmission is adaptive. The more you play with it, the more it adapts to your playing.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
On the 7G you can manual shift in C mode and it is lazy. Sport is faster. Manual is the fastest I think. Though sport and manual may be the same. Suspension has nothing to do with it. Do transmission modes affect throttle response would be my question. I don't notice, but the converter slipping thru 2nd in C makes it seem slower.