Sponsored by:

DaimlerChrysler Employee Here...ask away

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DaimlerChrysler Employee Here...ask away

All-
I have just recently taken an internship for DaimlerChrysler at their Washington, D.C. office, the main focus of the office is Lobbying, however they do dabble in other parts of the business.

I will try to answer any questions, as I have direct access to the daily DaimlerChrysler Newsletter along with the ability to pick at the minds of some of the top executives here.

The standard company car here is the new E500, while one of the workers has a new S600 (Yes, 2003) as a company car. He cannot stop talking about it, so I will hopefully be getting a ride in it soon enough.

I believe Jurgen Schrempp ( DaimlerChrylser Chairman of the Board) will be coming into the office in the next week or so and I may be able to meet him.

So if anyone has any questions they have answered, Ill do my best. Im still working on trying to get an E55 as my company car
Old 06-03-2003, 01:57 PM

OK, lets start with the easy ones. Please ask Mr. Schrempp the following:

First, what was the deal with the Nav on the new E? Why did it take so long? Why the poor communication with customers? And why is it that with a third decade of June build I still can't get the Nav system even though it is now available and being installed on vehicles as I write?

Second, what is the deal with the voice control module for the new E? Why is it that MB, with all of its technical prowess, still can't get it working?

Third, to what does he attribute the drop in MB quality as evidenced by the falling JD Power initial quality survey results? What is MB doing to turn that around?

Finally, does he not find it ironic that Germany fought so hard for the growth and stability pact only to be one of the EU countries that has blown the 3% cap and now faces the possibility of sanctions? (OK, that one is a little esoteric -- maybe just try for the first three)

If you get answers to those and still have your internship let me know and I'lll come up with some more. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:02 PM

Well...I doubt I will be able to get more then a few words with him, and even if I did I dont think those would be the kind of questions to ask when first introduced to anyone, especially the head of a major corporation.

But, I'll try.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:21 PM
ak1

When E350 will make production? Will there be a price increase?
and the last one........ When AWD will be an option?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2003, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C63 Black on Black
Question for MB/AMG site

Turbo2: any idea when the AMG screensaver will be updated with the new W211 E55?? Sorry for the trivial question! The AMG screensaver is really great!
Old 06-03-2003, 02:28 PM

The marketing and PR person will be out of town until Thursday (I believe) but I will try to ask him when I talk to him. Just to keep in mind, the D.C. office is more based on lobbying, so this is only a small part of DaimlerChrysler (the office is 30 people max) so some questions I will not be able to answer at all, but Ill do my best.
Old 06-03-2003, 02:42 PM

CLK55, Mini S
Ask him when DC-MB will realize that Americans are mind-numbed television junkies who would LOVE to have DVD capability in their cars! Ask WHY in God's name can't you get top quality audio and video in supposed luxury cars costing $50k or more!!!!????

Asks him if he still chuckles to himself when he hears or reads that line about "a merger of equals."

Trending Topics

Old 06-03-2003, 02:54 PM

MB Europe, along with AMG is currently testing a rear seat entertainment system for the E-class and with enough demand it will most likely be available in the United States. Mercedes has stepped up to Harmon Kardon, there getting there...

"A Merger Of Equals" I would have to agree with you there, probably one of the poorest moves on behalf of MB. However, there has been some talk as to why Schrempp stated that this was "a merger of equals", a Daimler-Benz executive a few months prior to the merger wrote in his notes that this was to be a takeover, not a merger. Therefore, by Schrempp saying it was "A Merger of Equals" he avoided paying a takeover premium by stating that it was a merger. The truth be told, no one really knows what Schrempp was thinking (was it a merger, or was he just doing that to avoid paying the premium), but either way I don't think the two companies "coming together" was the greatest idea.

Last edited by Turbo2; 06-03-2003 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Ask him why I don't have my E55 yet.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:53 PM

Norb-

My guess would be because you didnt place your order far enough in advance, if you had, you should of had yours by now.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
How many chicks does he get saying he's the head of Dialmer-Chrysler???
Old 06-03-2003, 04:06 PM
Almost a Member!

First off... Congrats on your newly acquired internship!

My question is a minor one, I would just like to know if they plan on having Keyless Go as an option for the C32's. Thanks.... and good luck interning in D.C. w/ D.C. (Daimler Chrysley ).

Old 06-03-2003, 04:10 PM

Stiggs-
Haha...good question, Ill try to ask that if I have time

w211 e55-
Thanks for the compliment, hopefully it will be a worth while experience. As far as Keyless Go on the C-Class, it has been discussed briefly (although it would be only for the C32, as your question states) however, would most likely not be introduced until the 2005 MY, although it may possibly be seen on '04's but its not looking that way.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:10 PM
alz

When will AMG Advanced Mobile Media be available?

in the United States (if ever).

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:21 PM

Alz-
In terms of this, MB is testing the system currently in Europe and if there is enough interest in the system both over there, and by people in the US it will be brought here. This means call your dealer, or even better, call MB USA and tell them that you have a distinct interest in the product. Thats the only way MB will know people want these types of things.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally posted by hmrdwn
Ask him when DC-MB will realize that Americans are mind-numbed television junkies who would LOVE to have DVD capability in their cars! Ask WHY in God's name can't you get top quality audio and video in supposed luxury cars costing $50k or more!!!!????

Asks him if he still chuckles to himself when he hears or reads that line about "a merger of equals."
Those type of decisions are usually left up to the Chairman of MBUSA or something prohibited by DOT regulations, not the chairman of DaimlerChrylser. DC will ship anything to the USA that MBUSA would ask and pay for. Anytime there is a unavailability of certain cars, motors, options, etc. it is because some 'Suit' here in the MBUSA does not order them for the US market. DC would gladly sell MBUSA any car or option they want, like S350 or SL350 or SL65 or CL65 or E240 or E200 kompressor or A-Class.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:45 PM

congrats. ask him why do we have to pay extra to get a CD changer in a S500? or any other benz? or y do we have to pay extra for xenons in E55 or S430 or any other benz costing $40K+?
Old 06-03-2003, 04:49 PM

Guys-
I appreciate the compliments, however some of these questions I cannot answer, such as what is/should be considered standard equipment and why. I dont agree with some of the options MB places on their high end cars, but I cant do anything about it.
Old 06-03-2003, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by thuged_out
congrats. ask him why do we have to pay extra to get a CD changer in a S500? or any other benz? or y do we have to pay extra for xenons in E55 or S430 or any other benz costing $40K+?
MBUSA sets pricing and options in the US. The chairman of MBUSA does these types of things.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Turbo2, I hope you did not open the 'flood gates' for information, gripes, concerns and questions by divulging your position with D-C.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:05 PM

'03 E55 AMG keyless go issue

Just got a '03 E55 AMG, which I love, except for how the keyless go system causes a chime and an alert message in the speedometer saying something like "don't forget to take your key with you." This happens when entering or exiting the car. I can live with the message in the speedometer, but the chime drives me crazy, and I know that E55 AMGs with keyless go delivered in German don't have the annoying chime.

I asked 2 dealer service departments and also MBUSA HQ customer service, and have been told there's no way to disable that annoying chime. This is a real annoyance. The ironic thing is you can't lock the car if you leave the key inside, so having the annoying chime makes absolutely no sense to me. Please help!!!!!

Last edited by Poursha; 06-03-2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:42 PM

Turbo2, I think you know that mine with written the tongue firmly planted in cheek. Nevertheless, you have indeed opened the floodgates.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!

Congrats on the internship.

Question:

When will MB come out with a Bi-Turbo on their current or future E-class that will have 600hp,700hp or more HP???
Old 06-03-2003, 09:46 PM

2000 BMW 540i
Turbo,

What do the interns get to drive. I hope at least a 'C' class. I have a couple of questions. First will the 2004 E55 have the universal adapter for car phones. I know they make them, but I haven't seen one in the US. Second, why doesn't MB institute a program like BMW where BMW car club members get a rebate on certain cars.

Thanks and good luck this summer!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:13 PM

E55Kev-
It looks like I have opened the floodgates, I guess I should of known...

Poursha-
I wish I could help but I really will not be able to deal with Technical Issues as the office I am working in focuses mainly on lobbying and other issues, not problems, etc. Sorry I couldnt be of more help, I would suggest calling MB Customer Service if you haven't already. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reb13-
Totally agree.

JamE55-
Thanks for the compliment, as I stated above, I really don't get too much information on models, etc. However, I took look at the DaimlerChrysler Times daily and check the DC Employee website which details information, so anything I feel that is informative or interesting I will pass along. I wouldn't hold your breath for a bi-turbo E-class though.
:p

HarvE55-
The interns, we get nothing, except METRO ( D.C.'s Mass Transit or a cab to Capitol Hill if were in a hurry). As I stated, I don't get much news on technical things, however if I hear anything I will be passing it along. In terms of MB not offering rebates, don't get upset about it. Mercedes executives do not receive rebates on cars (although they do get company cars), DaimlerChrysler only provides incentives on Chrysler (sigh) vehicles. So it's not just Mercedes Enthusiasts who are getting shafted, but pretty much everyone.

Once again, Ill try to relay any relevant information to the board.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DaimlerChrysler Employee Here...ask away