Sponsored by:

Show me your aftermarket stereos!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Show me your aftermarket stereos!

I'm looking into getting some better car audio. Might keep the factory COMAND system... might not. Looking at head unit, amps, comps and sub. I'd love to see some folks who have upgraded their audio gear.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Not an E55, but I replaced the Comand system with A Pioneer ACIV-Z120BT. This head using is amazing. Movies, Pandora, Ipod, Bluetooth, DVD, CD, CD-WR, DVD-RW, Memory card, Nav, Sat radio, touch screen. Its a killer head unit. I'm also running a JL Audio amp, on the factory speakers and the sound is much better then the stock system. There are other great options out there for head units, but you cant go wrong with a Pioneer. Lastly, you can pic this head unit up for under $800 now on Amazon. I paid close to $1500 6 months ago. Worth it at $1500 and now its 1/2 the price on some online store. Makes it well worth it!

Last edited by MBH motorsports; 10-14-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 PM

2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Looks great! What did you lose, feature wise? Like steering wheel controls? STAR diagnostics? Instrument panel menu options?

Yeah, I just bought the AVIC-Z130BT for $870. Pioneed is also offering a $100 rebate, so that pretty much pays for the iPod cable and steering wheel control. The backup camera is $150, so I'll probably buy that too.

I'm looking at JL Audio HD900/5 5-channel amp. Probably some new speakers, though. Just looking to learn more about what I lose when I dump the COMAND head unit.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by bamaster
Looks great! What did you lose, feature wise? Like steering wheel controls? STAR diagnostics? Instrument panel menu options?

Yeah, I just bought the AVIC-Z130BT for $870. Pioneed is also offering a $100 rebate, so that pretty much pays for the iPod cable and steering wheel control. The backup camera is $150, so I'll probably buy that too.

I'm looking at JL Audio HD900/5 5-channel amp. Probably some new speakers, though. Just looking to learn more about what I lose when I dump the COMAND head unit.
You loose the volume on the wheel, and the nav info on the wheel, Song selection on the wheel and thats it. STAR works great, Even my SOS, Info, and wrench buttons still work. Even without the being able to adjust my volume and phone button controls on my steering wheel. My M1 lowering module still works for those buttons. So the buttons still work for other fuctions in your car. Like selecting options on your dash read out. The just dont work for head unit related stuff...

ALSO! Since my head unit is not synced to the clock in the car, Like it was with the Comand. I have to adjust it the time all the time. Its like I can count to 60 better than my clock in my car can. About once every 2 days I adjust it from the dash selection screen.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:37 PM

2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
ALSO! Since my head unit is not synced to the clock in the car, Like it was with the Comand. I have to adjust it the time all the time. Its like I can count to 60 better than my clock in my car can. About once every 2 days I adjust it from the dash selection screen.
That sounds like a pain. heh

Where can I get custom faceplates made of the birdseye maple wood? I've seen some installed before. Need to find a place that sells dash kits.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
I was just looking at a double din touch screen head unit I absolutely love. Only question, it has a built in EQ, will it sound as good/better than stock Harmon kardon bass/treble settings? I forgot the brand, I think it was Sony. Also, not a big deal but would it be possible to retain steering wheel functions? I'm looking it up right now to post link.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
I was just looking at a double din touch screen head unit I absolutely love. Only question, it has a built in EQ, will it sound as good/better than stock Harmon kardon bass/treble settings? I forgot the brand, I think it was Sony. Also, not a big deal but would it be possible to retain steering wheel functions? I'm looking it up right now to post link.
I'm running an aftermarket amp. "I think" you have to use an amp when swapping the headunit. All I know is I did nothing more than a new headunit and deleted the factory amp and installed a JL Audio amp. The sound is much better than stock and there is all sorts of EQ adjustments that can be made.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 PM

2009 Cadillac CTS-V
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
This is what I bought.

Right now Pioneer is offering a $100 mail-in rebate, so that makes the AVIC $770, which is a fantastic deal! It's not installed yet, but the steering wheel adapter is supposed to retain all the functions.

As I understand it, you will need to keep the stock amp, because it receives the MOST fiber optic signal. You basically bypass it... so you will need an aftermarket amp if you want to properly power aftermarket speakers.

My plan is to buy a big 5-channel amp, like the JL Audio HD900/5 amp. And some high quality front door components. I had some Hybrid Audio Legatia Pro comps in my last car and they were amazing. Expensive but they sound fantastic. There are many alternatives, like Dynaudio, Focal, DLS, Rainbow, etc. Add a single 12" sub, which I haven't decided on yet, and I'm good. Final touches would be door deadening and cables.

I'll buy the parts online and have it installed professionally. I'm trying to keep it all under $4k. We shall see...
Old 10-18-2011, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
I stand corrected, it's a pioneer not a Sony. Except this one is only ~$450. It plays DVDs, Bluetooth, iPod USB, and has xm. Newb question, where is the stock amp? And correct me if I'm wrong but since I have a 2003 don't I lack fiberoptics? I thought that was MY 2004-2006?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Not an E55, but I replaced the Comand system with A Pioneer ACIV-Z120BT. This head using is amazing. Movies, Pandora, Ipod, Bluetooth, DVD, CD, CD-WR, DVD-RW, Memory card, Nav, Sat radio, touch screen. Its a killer head unit. I'm also running a JL Audio amp, on the factory speakers and the sound is much better then the stock system. There are other great options out there for head units, but you cant go wrong with a Pioneer. Lastly, you can pic this head unit up for under $800 now on Amazon. I paid close to $1500 6 months ago. Worth it at $1500 and now its 1/2 the price on some online store. Makes it well worth it!

Looking good with all of the features to boot.