Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:17 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
'06 E55 AMG
Wanting to buy an E55 and have a few questions

I'm looking for an E55 and have a few questions.

Are the Airmatic struts difficult to replace and repair? Overall, are these cars that difficult to work on? I do all of my own service on a Porsche.

Are the rods and pistons forged?

Are there any year or option packages to avoid?

What is the best and most heavily used forum?

Besides AutoTrader and MBWorld, are there any good classified sections to locate an E55?

Thank you for any assistance!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
First off, you are an SVT playa, so I will jump in and answer some of your questions:

1)If the airmatic goes out, it can be replaced with steel suspension now (springs, shocks and struts or coilovers), but if you opt for the crapmatic, is is not bad at all. The car is easy to work on but it does have a ton of electronics.
2)Pistons are cast and not forged metal, rods and crank are forged and typically do not give way first. Guys have these cars pushing twin screw lightning and cobra numbers, but one thing you do need to address fairly early is bigger injectors and full looping fuel rail. Melt down on number 8 piston has been the majority of the engine failures due to it receiving fuel last. Once that is addressed, I think you would be more than happy at the power level the car can put out (10 Sec daily driver with the right mods is attainable).

3)The pano is a great option to have but it is known to leak and creaks alot due to flexing. Offcourse your always like to avoid the first year of production which would be 2003, but to be honest, these cars are so well made, the 03 did have some minor electric issues but got ironed out relatively quickly.
4) This forum has VERY knowledgable guys (E55 forum), and a great group to boot, not like on svtperformance, where it is so big and very young, alot of immaturity going on over there.
5) If you are going to do your own wrenching, I would steer away from buying from a stealership, rather buy from an enthusiast that has taken care of the car. Make sure you get the vehicle history pulled on it and do a PPI before purchase.

Go for it bro, you would love the car. It is basically a terminator with an auto in terms of sheer violence off the line and a tq monster too

Where are you located?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:23 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55 AMG
Thank you for the great reply! I'm down in Ft Benning GA.

Your motor looks awesome. Is there anybody around that can dyno tune the E55 or do we just use a mailorder tune?

Thanks for the help bro!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Dude, did you search at all?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by DVC
Thank you for the great reply! I'm down in Ft Benning GA.

Your motor looks awesome. Is there anybody around that can dyno tune the E55 or do we just use a mailorder tune?

Thanks for the help bro!
Sent you a pm
Old 10-14-2011, 04:44 PM
DVC
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Sent you a pm
Thank you!