Sorry guys-changed my order

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 997 Turbo
Re: Sorry guys-changed my order

Originally posted by Stiggs
Well....I've been kicking the E55 vs. CLK55 around for a while now and I've finally made up my mind. I cancelled my order for the E55 and placed an order for a CLK55. This past Friday I was able to take an E500 out for the day from my dealership.
It was a very nice car...but just not me. Very soft ride...which was nice, only problem....I didn't like the feeling I was in a four door sedan. I felt like I should have been married with three kids. Hell no. I drove to the mall with it and I didn't get the stares like I did when I was in my CLK430. Now I know what you guys are going to say....The E55 will get more looks and better performance than the base E500, but its still the whole 4 door thing!! Only thing I will regret is not getting the dual exhaust and 18 inch wheels. And finally the biggest thing....the CLK55 is less expensive than the E55....I finally figured I needed to save as much money as I could. I know some people here will not agree with me on this one....but I think this is the best choice for me. Besides....I probably would have killed myself or gotten arrested with 469 horses!!!!!

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention...my dealership has a CLK55 on the lot that they let me test drive as well. The E500's brake were super touchy...very hard to stop smoothly, but with practice it could be done. The clk55's brakes felt much better to me. test drove the 2 vehicles on back to back days.
BIG mistake. I drove the CLK55 and it is a nice car. But the E55 is a rocket compared to it and the Airmatic does a great job.

You wanted to save money? Sound OK to me. But don't try to fool yourself that you made the better choice. You didn't.
Yes, the E55 is a 4-door limousine but I enjoy driving it ten times more than my wife's SLK32 AMG which is pretty near in performance to the CLK55 (if not better at higher speeds).
And I owned a 996 Turbo tuned by RS-Tuning (543 HP) before.

On the other hand I have to be fair: if I was a little bit younger now and single (no wife and kids), I would have gone for a Porsche or at least the SL55.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:25 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
W209 (new CLK) resale values are plummeting, just got a few quotes on my 500 and they were not good at all. High volume dealers now have new unsold cars on the lots and are fully available for $2-$3,000.00 off msrp (for the 500's) without even trying hard.
Old 06-12-2003, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Well I hate to dissapoint you guys....but I'm picking up my car this Saturday.
I always find it amusing when I hear everyone talking about resale values....here's a hint.....its a G*D Damn car.....this isn't an investment. I will drive it and enjoy it.....not hope I get some money back!!

And yes I hate to break it to you.......not that many nice cars where I live in Connecticut. I could turn a few heads with a cardboard box and a mercedes sign drawn in magic marker!!!

Here's my long term plan....drive it like I stole it.....keep it until it dies....then p*ss on it!!!
Old 06-13-2003, 02:03 PM

e500
chose a car with whatever you'll be happy with, because you're spending at least 60k so pick something you want to see everyday and drive and feel comfortable.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:32 PM

one of seven
stiggs your long term plan is a classic!!