Sponsored by:

Dumb question about non-stock rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55
Question Dumb question about non-stock rims

I say this is a dumb question because the answer is probably pretty obvious. If I order an E55 with non-stock rims (say AMG Style III 5 Spoke), is this done at the factory or by the dealer? If it's the latter, then I guess I could decide on if I want non-stock rims at any point prior to delivery. Also, if I do go that route, I won't wind up with the original set of rims that I have no use for will I (I will be leasing)?

Jeff
Old 06-09-2003, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
This is a very good question....since I want to put 18 inch rims on my upcoming CLK55. I asked my dealer if they could do that at the factory? He said that they probably could butI would have to buy the rims and tires. Now does this sound right to you??/ I'm gonna have a set of 17 inch rims and tires (never used) sitting in my garage collecting dust?? I don't think so. I told him that the factory can keep my 17 inchers and tires and give me the 18 inch rims with tires and all I should have to pay is the price difference!!! dealer didn't seem to like that answer...he didn't have a response. Those 17 inch rims must be worth something.........they could easily sell them to a customer!!! It doesn't make sense. Why do I need 2 sets of rims??
Old 06-09-2003, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter what the dealer tells you (even they said the wheels will be installed in the factory), the wheels WILL be changed AT the dealership. If you dont want the stock wheels, your dealership will sell them as "take offs" to others who might want it for snow tires. And they will most likely charge you full retail less 10-20% for the AMG wheels (which is still VERY expensive). In either case, they are the winner and you're the loser.

What I'll suggest you to do is: stay everything "as is". Buy the AMG wheels AFTER delivery, if you dont need the stock wheels for winter, sell them privately. Then your AMG wheels will get subsidize a bit from the selling of the stock wheels.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Stiggs
This is a very good question....since I want to put 18 inch rims on my upcoming CLK55. I asked my dealer if they could do that at the factory? He said that they probably could butI would have to buy the rims and tires. Now does this sound right to you??/ I'm gonna have a set of 17 inch rims and tires (never used) sitting in my garage collecting dust?? I don't think so. I told him that the factory can keep my 17 inchers and tires and give me the 18 inch rims with tires and all I should have to pay is the price difference!!! dealer didn't seem to like that answer...he didn't have a response. Those 17 inch rims must be worth something.........they could easily sell them to a customer!!! It doesn't make sense. Why do I need 2 sets of rims??
Like I said before, they will always win in these kind of situation. Sorry to say this but buying wheels from your dealership is always the most stupid thing to do because you will definitely got ripped off.

Why do you need 2 sets of rims?? 1) Because some people might want to use the 17"s for snow tires, obviously not applicable if you live in areas where it doesnt snow; 2) when you sell your car in the future, people always prefer to buy everything "stock". You may enjoy a set of 18" wheels on yr car, but the buyer who buys yr car in the future might not. By then, you will have to spend money and put a set of used stock wheels back on.

Also....you always hear people saying their dealership messed up their orders, no Nav, no this and no that....I really believe that it will be a pain in the a$$ for the dealer to make sure that you car arrives with AMG wheels on!! The safest & easiest way for them to do is to order a set of AMG wheels and put them on when your car arrives.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Harris is correct. I sold my OEM wheels from my 98 E430 (never used them). At trade-in all dealers insisted on the OEM wheels instead of the aftermarket (Carlsson) or they downgraded the trade-in value. I had to repurchase used OEM wheels & tires to get full trade-in consideration. Being that the upgrade wheels you want are AMG they 'may' not be as difficult at trade-in. Good Luck!

However, I have a question? When you place an order for the accessory AMG wheels don't you only get 1 set even if changed at the dealer?
Old 06-11-2003, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by E55 KEV
.....However, I have a question? When you place an order for the accessory AMG wheels don't you only get 1 set even if changed at the dealer?
Depends on how the deal is worked out. If you do not want the original wheels, and if the dealer agrees to change the stock to AMG, chances are you will have to make up the difference. If you want to keep the stock wheels, chances are they will sell close to full retail because they dont make any money through your take offs anymore. Thats why I said, in no situation will the customer have any advantage.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
On MBUSA "Build Your Own" secton you can specify some AMG accesory wheels to be included in your car order. Of course the prices are high. I wonder if you get both? The website has the AMG Style III 5-Spoke (Staggered) for $2910. It says:

"7.5J X 18 ET37 225/45 R18 (FRONT) 8.5J X 18 ET 30 245/40 R18 (REAR)

* Prices reflect a set of four. (Tires sold separately.)"