Sponsored by:

Grill replacement question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
german car
Grill replacement question.

I was attacked by a wild 18 wheeler tire on the highway today. Luckily just cracked my front grill. Looking for any recommendations on websites, or vendors that have a good product at a decent price. My e63 is black so I'm thinking this is a good time to get a black grill and black out badging.

thoughts.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Ebay seems to be the best bet. I bought a OEM replacement unit and the quality is good, very heavy, and then prep'd, and 2 stage painted it GT-R K11 along with the rest of the car-no more black for me. Also, some require the little emblem which may not come with it. oediscountparts had it for $18, much cheaper than other sources.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Ebay seems to be the best bet. I bought a OEM replacement unit and the quality is good, very heavy, and then prep'd, and 2 stage painted it GT-R K11 along with the rest of the car-no more black for me. Also, some require the little emblem which may not come with it. oediscountparts had it for $18, much cheaper than other sources.
Do you have any pics of your E63 conversion?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by AKnight55
Do you have any pics of your E63 conversion?
Coming soon as I just put 3 coats of clear on the emblems on top of the base and the wife will be putting the sticky sticky on the back of them tomorrow to go back on the car for this weekend-I hope. Went over a gallon of clear already between grille, bumper, fenders (blend bumper) , mesh, emblems, and wheels. Grills like these are a PITA to paint properly, get in between everything.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts
2012 C63 BS & 2014 E63 Estate & 2008 CLK63 BS
Originally Posted by pearlpower
Coming soon as I just put 3 coats of clear on the emblems on top of the base and the wife will be putting the sticky sticky on the back of them tomorrow to go back on the car for this weekend-I hope. Went over a gallon of clear already between grille, bumper, fenders (blend bumper) , mesh, emblems, and wheels. Grills like these are a PITA to paint properly, get in between everything.
Aight, Look forward to seeing the final product.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 E63 AMG, 1991 NSX, 2007 Corvette
Great idea to black out the grille. I got with my tuner shop, Buckhead Import Performance here in Atlanta and they sent the grille out to the paint guy who does all the work for Ferrari of Atlanta. They took the grille and removed the badge at the top and filled it in with a polymer and sanded it all down and put a nice semi gloss black which blends right in with the paint color. I wanted the grille to blend in rather than stand out say with a matte color texture. By removing the badge on top of the grille, it left just the flat badge on the hood which I liked. Having two badges close together looked too crowded.
So, the grille came out awesome. I wish I had read an earlier thread about blacking the chrome pieces around the foglights. That is next up on the list.
Post a pic when you get it done. Good Luck.