W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problem shifting and other problems

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
Yeah, got the p0730 code (not showing, only pending when scanned). Reset it, unhooked the battery, reconnected it and got it home since I wasnt far away. Would only go up to 3rd and eventually would work its way into a neutral state, even though in D.

Never had an issue before in terms of transmission. Needed an oil change and figured Id do a transmission service/fluid change since Im at 115k miles and never had it done, or have any records of it being done.

And now it only moves when i clear the code, but not for long. I had it towed to the dealer today and know they are going to deny any responsibility.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Originally Posted by AWOL
Yeah, got the p0730 code (not showing, only pending when scanned). Reset it, unhooked the battery, reconnected it and got it home since I wasnt far away. Would only go up to 3rd and eventually would work its way into a neutral state, even though in D.

Never had an issue before in terms of transmission. Needed an oil change and figured Id do a transmission service/fluid change since Im at 115k miles and never had it done, or have any records of it being done.

And now it only moves when i clear the code, but not for long. I had it towed to the dealer today and know they are going to deny any responsibility.
Did you clear the code using STAR? Any trans codes must be cleared from the TCU, not ECU, else the TCU will trigger the ECU each time rendering the car in LIMP mode.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e55
No, all I have is a cheap scan tool. The dealer is looking at it tomorrow or tuesday, so maybe they can clear it. It does seem something electrical however, maybe STAR can clear it for good.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E55
I am thinking of getting AutoEnginuity scanner. There's a MB add-on that says it can reset trans adaptations, etc. Will this work for clearing TCU codes?
Thx
Old 04-04-2013, 10:01 PM

2005 E55 AMG
did you ever figure out what the issue was? this is happening to me now
Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by RoldGold
did you ever figure out what the issue was? this is happening to me now
lol me too! car just popped outta gear today while driving as i was about to get on the gas to pass some slow@ss... them bamm, engine is revving while in D but just coasting.... i looked bi-polar "im gonna pass you! ah no im not!"

anyways finally got it to get back to putting the power to the driveline and limped to dealership by my office.... they were saying they suspect clutch and are checking adaptations codes, while i just think its low trans fluid.... funny i actually just bought trans fluid, filter and new gasket as i was planning on changing it this weekend
Old 07-04-2013, 03:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CTS-V ///
How did you fix is? My car is at a shop now and theyre telling me I need a new transmission .
Old 10-25-2013, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 w211 E55
Just came across this thread. I'm throwing P200A(picture attached) code on the tcu. Car shifts normal 1st to 2nd, 2nd-3rd is stalls and thumps when it shifts, same thing 3rd-4th and car will not shift into 5th. I havn't experienced any limp modes. Anyone ever have this code?
Attached Thumbnails Transmission problem shifting and other problems-image.jpg  
Old 10-26-2013, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CTSV/6sp Grocery Getter
My car had similar issues, try swapping the part listed in my post with another car that drives normally and see if this fixes your car before spending money on the new control module
https://mbworld.org/forums/4894807-post38.html
Old 12-28-2013, 05:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
Same issues with the car going into Neutral whilst in Drive..but only doing it in the regular S(Summer?) not W(Winter) mode.
Oil changed..twice, valve bodies and conductor plate cleaned.
Stealer is scratching his head
Old 02-15-2015, 02:21 AM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
(P2561, P220A, or P2562). 2005 E55 AMG

I received the following codes and my car is at the shop waiting for them to change out the conductor plate. When I accelerate I hear a loud whine but not sure where it's coming from. Soon afterwards it goes to limp mode and cannot shift until I turn off the car and then back on. Any suggestions?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Originally Posted by ap10046
Same issues with the car going into Neutral whilst in Drive..but only doing it in the regular S(Summer?) not W(Winter) mode.
Oil changed..twice, valve bodies and conductor plate cleaned.
Stealer is scratching his head
Second could be all done for normal shifting. But W or C mode spikes the pressure real high in order for the clutches to hold...remember it is starting off in 2nd gear so normal operation would need to hold with all that power in front of it and require more pressure. You would need to pull up the transmission pids on a scanner and "see" what is going on in the transmission. Not sure Stars has that These are mechanically very good and strong transmissions but the electronic side.....kinda sucks. On the bright side they are very very easy to rebuild/repair. If your handy with your own work, dont be afraid to fix it.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:19 PM

2005 Mercedes E55 AMG
My car wont shift out of 2nd gear. I had issues a few months ago and replaced the conductor plate and now am having transmission problems but the issue is different. Before I heard a loud pitched whine with no acceleration, but now the car wont shift out of 2nd automatically. I am able to manually use the paddle shifters to go to 3rd, and 4th. I'm not sure if it can be the TCU. Is the TCU easy to replace? I am not a mechanic and don't know much about cars. When the mechanic changed the conductor plate he found no metal shavings and said the fluid looked clean.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
TCU is located where the passenger's feet go. Grab the carpet up under the dash and pull it back, there is a metal plate under there with 2 modules, one is the TCU. So yes they are easy to replace. There should be an instructions pdf or something somewhere on Eurocharged's site to help. Also while you are there check and be sure that there isn't fluid on the conductors in the plug that connects to the tcu. Some craziness can happen where the fluid works its way up the wiring harness from the transmission and goes all the way in the car to the TCU plug. This happens when a rubber o-ring seal goes bad down at the transmission in a white plug on passenger side.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:01 PM

2004 E55
Ok guys this happened to me today kinda' I was going onto the highway and punched it to gain highway speeds and it totally went into neutral on me. I mean C/S/M, steering control, shift knob control 1,2,3,4,D into neutral and back to D nothing at all. I had to pull over put it into park and back into D to be able to move under my own power. Should I be looking at something crazy or was it just maybe a symptom of a cooler day than average or a one time fluke.

Any advice would be appreciated.

J
Old 09-29-2015, 11:38 PM

E55
Is it gonna solve the problem?

Originally Posted by urbamworm
TCU is located where the passenger's feet go. Grab the carpet up under the dash and pull it back, there is a metal plate under there with 2 modules, one is the TCU. So yes they are easy to replace. There should be an instructions pdf or something somewhere on Eurocharged's site to help. Also while you are there check and be sure that there isn't fluid on the conductors in the plug that connects to the tcu. Some craziness can happen where the fluid works its way up the wiring harness from the transmission and goes all the way in the car to the TCU plug. This happens when a rubber o-ring seal goes bad down at the transmission in a white plug on passenger side.
good day,
I am suffering from exactly the same probs of shifting between 2nd & 3rd gear in my 2004 E55, pls let me know fr where to start inspecting as I have had almost the same coding#. Also, they told first to replace the CGW computer so they could diagnose the vehicle SYS's properly. As the CGW is giving the right after reading through.