Question for guys that have installed their own pulleys or have this info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
how do you know if that's what or how the MB techs are trained? I don't know either but if you're taught something in training then that's the extent of your knowledge is what you are trained. correct?
Well...can't argue with that...I hope MB didn't tell them that they could crack the crank shaft...lol.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Well...can't argue with that...I hope MB didn't tell them that they could crack the crank shaft...lol.
well he certainly didn't make it up and in my book anyone that gets awarded by MB in Germany is in my book and I'm all ears when he talks.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
I remember that there was mention of damaging the crank by holding from the flywheel. To be honest it was 1997-98 when I went to training on those engines. I think it was twisting or something. I do not personally believe this but would not suggest someone to ignore it. The engines before and the engines made after all use flywheel holding tools for removing the crank pulley and they are all as tight or tighter on some of the old engines. I would just use the pulley holding tool for no other reason than ease. As far as doing it by yourself like I said just put a piece of pipe on the handle to extend it to rest against the frame rail or the floor. A jack handle works well for the floor. I have about a 2 foot piece that works well against most frames.