W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

e55 transmission or engine stutter at low rpms..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55 amg
e55 transmission or engine stutter at low rpms..

Hi, I have been having slight issues with my 55, as when I am accelerating at low speeds, the engine or tranny seems to stutter and shake. It will not do this at higher rpm's but only down low/accelerating slow..and it goes away when I speed up. Could this be that the gears in the tranny are not shifting correctly? I am lost as to what this could be. I do have an aftermarket warranty but I would like to know if you guys had any ideas as what it could be before I bring her in. The car has 92k miles and no aftermarket mods. It just recently started doing this. Also I noticed the other day that the coolant was almost all gone and I had to fill it up...don't know if this has anything to do with it but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
If it is an 03, you may have coolant leaking into the transmission. This was a problem with this model year.

Not good. Have it checked out immediately.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Its hard to tell based on your description, but these cars have a clutch engaged supercharger, and when leaving a stop slowly, they can do some strange things. Some describe it as bucking, some describe it like you just did.

I have a feeling it may be normal operation if you are not used to the feel of this car. When my car was stock, it did it when I started very slow from a stop (and held a low RPM), or when starting an making a turn. Under any load, it didn't do it.

After re-reading your post, the fact that the issue is new, and there is some coolant missing, take it in.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eko1
If it is an 03, you may have coolant leaking into the transmission. This was a problem with this model year.

Not good. Have it checked out immediately.
You are correct.

... happened to me last December.

coolant in the transmission.

vibration from rear, uneven rpms and exhaust sound changed slightly a lower note.

The dealer replaced, radiator, and trans and torque converter. If you don't have warranty, I would start by taking it to a good transmission shop.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by TopGun32
You are correct.

... happened to me last December.

coolant in the transmission.

vibration from rear, uneven rpms and exhaust sound changed slightly a lower note.

The dealer replaced, radiator, and trans and torque converter. If you don't have warranty, I would start by taking it to a good transmission shop.

Oh man.... this is bad news....... hopefully its not the case...... this is a $5k bill.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I'm experiencing similar issues, but haven't even checked the coolant level. Also, are you getting any wheel hop?