Mods with Stock Boost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Pewter E55 (Sold) 2006 Flint Grey E55
Mods with Stock Boost

Good Morning,

I have had my current 06 E55 for a year and a half and have resisted the itch to mod the car - It has only 47k on the odo. I made the "mistake" of getting a Eurocharged ECU/TCU tune while the guys for EC were here in Vegas for SEMA a few weeks ago. Well, thats all it took for me to get the mod bug going. I don't want to get too crazy with mods (I've done that before with my other cars) and want to have a good combination of the RIGHT MODS. With that being said, I've come to a few conclusions that I want to run by the fellow forum members:

1. Long Tube Headers along with CM30 and EC H/E are going on the car next for sure.
2. Vegas air conditions may not be ideal to increasing boost. Seems like alot of folks go with more boost, but still struggle with increased IATs. There is really only about 3-4 months per year which see sub-70s temps outside.
3. I may consider going with an 82 mm TB instead of increasing boost (i know...why not do both). Although going with a 168 or 172 pulley may do the trick, it seems that an 82mm TB yields ALMOST the same increase in HP as a 168mm pulley. Is this correct?

Questions:

Has anyone done intake and exhaust mods (with tune) without increasing boost levels? if so, what are your impressions? Does this make sense?

Many thanks for your input guys.

Cheers!
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Originally Posted by slamar1
Good Morning,

I have had my current 06 E55 for a year and a half and have resisted the itch to mod the car - It has only 47k on the odo. I made the "mistake" of getting a Eurocharged ECU/TCU tune while the guys for EC were here in Vegas for SEMA a few weeks ago. Well, thats all it took for me to get the mod bug going. I don't want to get too crazy with mods (I've done that before with my other cars) and want to have a good combination of the RIGHT MODS. With that being said, I've come to a few conclusions that I want to run by the fellow forum members:

1. Long Tube Headers along with CM30 and EC H/E are going on the car next for sure.
2. Vegas air conditions may not be ideal to increasing boost. Seems like alot of folks go with more boost, but still struggle with increased IATs. There is really only about 3-4 months per year which see sub-70s temps outside.
3. I may consider going with an 82 mm TB instead of increasing boost (i know...why not do both). Although going with a 168 or 172 pulley may do the trick, it seems that an 82mm TB yields ALMOST the same increase in HP as a 168mm pulley. Is this correct?

Questions:

Has anyone done intake and exhaust mods (with tune) without increasing boost levels? if so, what are your impressions? Does this make sense?

Many thanks for your input guys.

Cheers!
Yes YES I think this is an incredible way to go in the Vegas heat!! Only thing mayyyyybe you should think about down the road is a simple Kleemann pulley. Tiny compared to the dish plates out there now but will bump up your boost a bit.

Chiromikey DD'd his in the Phoenix heat for years without major problems.

For now though, sounds good to me. Curious if boost will drop with all that increased airflow in and out. Make SURE you datalog after mods to see how lean she is running. Jerry may have to add some fuel.