W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kleemann Header install. Difficulty?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by pullejo
But...they don't do a visual here.
They're supposed to in the ATL. I know where I take mine does. I need to find a less competent inspection station. Suggestions?
Old 12-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E63, E55(sold), C32 (sold), '65 Skylark GS 445 convertible, '12 ML350
Originally Posted by komp55
They're supposed to in the ATL. I know where I take mine does. I need to find a less competent inspection station. Suggestions?
The gas station by my house. :-) Not joking. If you want directions or anything, pm me.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK55
My guy took 5 hrs to install w/o welding
Old 12-29-2011, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
so what do u guys do with the secondary O2 sensors? leave them unplugged? has anyone tried extending the wires and relocating them behind the secondary cats?
i will be installing the Kleemann headers on my car and will post a DIY. I bought the EC tune, will they be able to turn off the secondary O2 sensors like Kleemann can? or do I need to send my ECU to Kleemann specially for that?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
btw here are the instructions from Kleemann for those interested.
Attached Files
Old 02-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xpl0sive
btw here are the instructions from Kleemann for those interested.
This has recently been brought to my attention-

I'm afraid these instructions were not made by KLEEMANN USA, nor do they show how to correctly cut the factory down pipe. I'm not sure where it came from, but it is inaccurate and should not be used as a guide to install KLEEMANN Headers. Were it a real KLEEMANN manual, it would have our corporate logo on the top of every page, as well as a revision number and date at the bottom of each page indicating what version it is, and when it was written- neither of those telltales are present on that manual.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
Originally Posted by xpl0sive
so what do u guys do with the secondary O2 sensors? leave them unplugged? has anyone tried extending the wires and relocating them behind the secondary cats?
i will be installing the Kleemann headers on my car and will post a DIY. I bought the EC tune, will they be able to turn off the secondary O2 sensors like Kleemann can? or do I need to send my ECU to Kleemann specially for that?
did you find an answer for this?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
E55 AMG
EC can make sure the car won't throw a CEL if you delete the primaries.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:56 AM

E55 AMG W211 - sold, CLS 500 C219, E63S AMG W212
Originally Posted by AWOL
I did VRP shorties in about 6 hours. Its not particularly hard, its just time consuming. You'll likely get bloody knuckles.

The hardest part is putting on the gaskets if the bolts back all the way out with the nut. That shiz made me mad.

I didn't find time to install them
Did you disconnect the o2-sensors?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 AM

2008 G55k
Hi guys. Has there been any update on this install? I'm gathering all the information I need to do an install on my G55 and there's just not much information about installing these headers on a G-wagen. It seems to be a very popular item to upgrade on E55's so your threads have been very helpful.

It seems I'll be losing a set of cats when I install my Kleemann downpipes but I'll still have one set of cats left. The first set of O2 sensors (extensions needed on these) attach to the ends of the headers.

The second set attach to my down pipes after the high flow cats.

So with my setup, I'll be able to reconnect both sets of O2 sensors. However, according to Cory, I will still be getting CEL with a code "efficiency below threshold". Therefore, I will still need to send the ECU to Kleemann for reprogramming.

Has anyone done this? Or experienced any of these codes after installation?
Old 04-23-2017, 01:33 PM

W211 AMG
Originally Posted by BonitaBeast
Hi guys. Has there been any update on this install? I'm gathering all the information I need to do an install on my G55 and there's just not much information about installing these headers on a G-wagen. It seems to be a very popular item to upgrade on E55's so your threads have been very helpful.

It seems I'll be losing a set of cats when I install my Kleemann downpipes but I'll still have one set of cats left. The first set of O2 sensors (extensions needed on these) attach to the ends of the headers.

The second set attach to my down pipes after the high flow cats.

So with my setup, I'll be able to reconnect both sets of O2 sensors. However, according to Cory, I will still be getting CEL with a code "efficiency below threshold". Therefore, I will still need to send the ECU to Kleemann for reprogramming.

Has anyone done this? Or experienced any of these codes after installation?
I was under the understanding that you will only need O2 extensions on the sensors after the high flow Cat. This should take care of any cel codes. I believe you only need ECU to turn these sensors off if you delete the cat altogether.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:19 PM

2008 G55k
I did this install quite a few years back. I sent my ECU over to Cory since I was doing a full supercharger kit install with larger plus headers so the ECU software needed an update anyway. No CELs at all in the 4 years since the completion of the install. A few minor hiccups along the way but this setup has been pretty solid.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Originally Posted by kustom2k1
What AK said, I had a set installed by an indie MB shop, cost was 500 for the install.
That's not too bad honestly...

Gonna get mine donezo
Old 04-25-2017, 08:39 PM

W211 AMG
Originally Posted by BonitaBeast
I did this install quite a few years back. I sent my ECU over to Cory since I was doing a full supercharger kit install with larger plus headers so the ECU software needed an update anyway. No CELs at all in the 4 years since the completion of the install. A few minor hiccups along the way but this setup has been pretty solid.
what kind of hiccups?
Old 04-26-2017, 12:09 AM

2008 G55k
Originally Posted by Sosyal08
what kind of hiccups?

1.) The Bolts on the fuel pressure regulator started coming loose producing very slight slight leak on the pressure regulator body. Quick tightening of the allen bolts and no leaks. No loss in performance at that point. I was just smelling gasoline which wasn't good. Luckily the diaphragm of the regulator was not damaged.

2.) One of the ribs of the fanbelt shredded off after about 10k miles (Note The belt did not come off. Only 1 of the 7 ribs). Upon closer inspection, the additional pulley that we added after fitting the supercharger was about 2 mm too far in from alignment causing the fan belt to NOT be flush with the pulley surface. I added a spacer to move the pulley out a sliver and now is perfect.

3.) One of the Kleemann headers developed a hole on one of the welds. Not a nice noise at all coming from the engine when that happens. I had it welded up and sealed and all good once again.

Other than that, the engine is running good and strong in this crazy hot and humid weather we have here in the Philippines.

Last edited by BonitaBeast; 04-26-2017 at 12:11 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-26-2017, 03:30 PM

W211 AMG
Oh, okay...I thought you had a list of issues with the headers specificly.

philippines? Cool, I have family there too