Sponsored by:

This really makes me wonder............

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Calm down there gun slinger. Not everybody wants to blend in with every other civilian and go through life unnoticed.

Some of us want to make an impact and be heard. Just out of curiosity Greg, what car did you come from before you purchased a e55? So you saying you never ever want the option of increasing power and performance beyond a couple bolts ons? Built short blocks, aftermarket huffers, better suspension does not interest you?

If that is the case, good for you, dont get all butt soar about it

On a side note, how am I trying to turn and E55 into a mustang for the name of God, because I brought up the aftermarket beyond simple bolt ons for these cars blow? A simple comparison does not transform one platform into another bro.

My point, quite simply.... is that you are fighting an almost impossible uphill battle if you want the E55 platform to have the same kind of aftermarket support as the Mustang. The total number of E55s out there don't justify a large-scale development effort. That's not to say you can't build a "fast-as-hell" E55 if you're willing to spend the money to R&D your own blower setups, pulleys, fuel system, etc. With enough money, ANYTHING can be accomplished. It just won't come cheap....

If your primary motivation is to go fast, be loud, get noticed and have access to thousands of aftermarket parts.....drive a Mustang. That story has been well-documented. I'm sure in less than 30 minutes on Google, I could come up with a complete parts list and build plan for a 10-second Mustang. I don't think there is another car on the planet that offers the same bang-for-the-buck performance as the Mustang. Period.

You seem annoyed that the AMG community doesn't share your passion to daily-drive our cars on drag slicks and uncorked exhaust pipes the way that you do..... trading everyday comfort for a few extra tenths in the quarter mile. From what I've observed on these boards, you are the exception to the rule. If the entire "Modified E55 Club" is only 20 - 30 people, you're in the top 1% of that group.

Here's how I see it (and again, this is just one man's opinion) not everyone here will share my views:

The E55 is truly a marvelous car, not because it does one thing well... but because it does a LOT of things well. Comfort, Style, Speed, Handling, etc are all part of that package.... and many of us are willing to spend money to make small improvements in those areas.

The "magic" is in the balance of the complete package.... you screw around too much with handling, and you end up with a punishingly harsh ride. Push too hard for more power, and you end up with a boatload of intake noise, droning exhaust and you're no longer driving down the highway in a quiet, luxury automobile.... it's become something much more crude and impolite.

Would I like a bit more power? Sure.... but not at the expense of NVH, so I'm sure my options are limited. What I'd really like is a reprogrammed TCU and a Quaife LSD so that I can actually put my current power to better use with almost no detectable change to the normal operation of the car. (Santa are you listening?)

You started this thread asking for opinions... and this is my view of what "Mercedes-style hotrodding" is all about. It's about maintaining the delicate balance of the entire package.... something that AMG happens to be quite good at already!

-G
Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GregMB
My point, quite simply.... is that you are fighting an almost impossible uphill battle if you want the E55 platform to have the same kind of aftermarket support as the Mustang. The total number of E55s out there don't justify a large-scale development effort. That's not to say you can't build a "fast-as-hell" E55 if you're willing to spend the money to R&D your own blower setups, pulleys, fuel system, etc. With enough money, ANYTHING can be accomplished. It just won't come cheap....

If your primary motivation is to go fast, be loud, get noticed and have access to thousands of aftermarket parts.....drive a Mustang. That story has been well-documented. I'm sure in less than 30 minutes on Google, I could come up with a complete parts list and build plan for a 10-second Mustang. I don't think there is another car on the planet that offers the same bang-for-the-buck performance as the Mustang. Period.

You seem annoyed that the AMG community doesn't share your passion to daily-drive our cars on drag slicks and uncorked exhaust pipes the way that you do..... trading everyday comfort for a few extra tenths in the quarter mile. From what I've observed on these boards, you are the exception to the rule. If the entire "Modified E55 Club" is only 20 - 30 people, you're in the top 1% of that group.

Here's how I see it (and again, this is just one man's opinion) not everyone here will share my views:

The E55 is truly a marvelous car, not because it does one thing well... but because it does a LOT of things well. Comfort, Style, Speed, Handling, etc are all part of that package.... and many of us are willing to spend money to make small improvements in those areas.

The "magic" is in the balance of the complete package.... you screw around too much with handling, and you end up with a punishingly harsh ride. Push too hard for more power, and you end up with a boatload of intake noise, droning exhaust and you're no longer driving down the highway in a quiet, luxury automobile.... it's become something much more crude and impolite.

Would I like a bit more power? Sure.... but not at the expense of NVH, so I'm sure my options are limited. What I'd really like is a reprogrammed TCU and a Quaife LSD so that I can actually put my current power to better use with almost no detectable change to the normal operation of the car. (Santa are you listening?)

You started this thread asking for opinions... and this is my view of what "Mercedes-style hotrodding" is all about. It's about maintaining the delicate balance of the entire package.... something that AMG happens to be quite good at already!

-G
Thanks for your input Just to clear a few things up, my exhaust is whisper quiet when I want it to be, and open header loud when I want it to be. As far as the drag setup goes, I do run it on the street, and so do tons of other members run drag radials in the back. My front skinny rims are cut from CCW in such a way that it is near impossible to see they are skinny's, unless the wheels are turned outwards, it is nice and clean and stealthy.

I think you are more annoyed as you brought it up about uncorked exhausts and drag packs. That was never mentioned by me, I was simply talking about the aftermarket goodies, but I think it really bothers you. You never answered my question about what car you came from, and what your background is in performance cars? I have a sneaky feeling that you get annoyed by loud obnoxious cars on the street, and that is the EXACT reason I set my exhaust up the way I did. That way if I get a dirty look or the shaking head routine, I will put open the cutouts, and put the exhaust right in your earStiff necks and nose in the air folks do not drive E55's anymore playa.

I asked for opinions on our aftermarket, not what do you think of my cars setup

Last edited by chawkins2001; 12-15-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Speaking of loud exhaust, I once made a jackass on a Harley let go the handle bar and cover his ears. I was so proud of myself that day. Now try to top that Craig.

It wasn't in the E55.

Last edited by Forrest Gump 9; 12-15-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Speaking of loud exhaust, I once made a jackass on a Harley let go the handle bar and cover his ears. I was so proud of myself that day. Now try to top that Craig.

It wasn't in the E55.
It had to be a corvette, camaro or mustang, just had to be
Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
the lsx world and aftermarket is second to none , ive been and will be a gm guy for lifr. this is why i built my truck , it weighs almost 6k lbs which is freaking crazy and it is capable of 9's now , awd , twin turbo and 7.0l ive spent almost as much as a new e63 but its something very unique that is cool , can haul crap arpund , tow and when someone in thier super car get spanked from a roll says wtf just happened is priceless. i have pulled hard on new c6 z06 , spanked gtr's off the line , even on big ol 22's rims and all.

the e55 i bought for the lady because she likes high end luxury cars and i wanted something appeased to me since i drive when we are together which is alot. imo the benz have found a new place of respoect in my mind , i love the car so much i always try to steal it on the weekend and let her drive my big truck which is slow im comparison ( high 14's with 37;s tire's)

the only ford product i have liked is the 03-04 cobra terminators , their exhaust note always sounds amazing and are quick with little mods, but at the end of the day its a mustang.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Thanks for your input Just to clear a few things up, my exhaust is whisper quiet when I want it to be, and open header loud when I want it to be. As far as the drag setup goes, I do run it on the street, and so do tons of other members run drag radials in the back. My front skinny rims are cut from CCW in such a way that it is near impossible to see they are skinny's, unless the wheels are turned outwards, it is nice and clean and stealthy.

I think you are more annoyed as you brought it up about uncorked exhausts and drag packs. That was never mentioned by me, I was simply talking about the aftermarket goodies, but I think it really bothers you. You never answered my question about what car you came from, and what your background is in performance cars? I have a sneaky feeling that you get annoyed by loud obnoxious cars on the street, and that is the EXACT reason I set my exhaust up the way I did. That way if I get a dirty look or the shaking head routine, I will put open the cutouts, and put the exhaust right in your earStiff necks and nose in the air folks do not drive E55's anymore playa.

I asked for opinions on our aftermarket, not what do you think of my cars setup
Love the way you think! Perhaps we're distant relatives I had the most obnoxious/NASTY Kooks longtube/X-pipe/Bullet exhaust on past C6 Vette, every possible bolt-on 420+ rwhp & tq, just simple flick of my right calf set off car alarms for blocks @ a time. 1 time after firing up in mall parking lot, I noticed a grouchy old fart give me the "poo-face" appeared to be w/his teenage grandaughter dressed like she came from Red-Light District, I hit the peddle & blipped to 6800+ rpm's all I saw was gramps poo-face turn bright red & teenager w/both hands covering her ears

Ya.. I'm that guy

Last edited by Thericker; 12-15-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
LOLL

Ahh, the old poo face, thats an open invitation to initiate 6k rpm pipe shots. Did you ever run the vette at the 1/4?

Originally Posted by Thericker
Love the way you think! Perhaps we're distant relatives I had the most obnoxious/NASTY Kooks longtube/X-pipe/Bullet exhaust on past C6 Vette, every possible bolt-on 420+ rwhp & tq, just simple flick of my right calf set off car alarms for blocks @ a time. 1 time after firing up in mall parking lot, I noticed a grouchy old fart give me the "poo-face" appeared to be w/his teenage grandaughter dressed like she came from Red-Light District, I hit the peddle & blipped to 6800+ rpm's all I saw was gramps poo-face turn bright red & teenager w/both hands covering her ears

Ya.. I'm that guy
Old 12-15-2011, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
LOLL

Ahh, the old poo face, thats an open invitation to initiate 6k rpm pipe shots. Did you ever run the vette at the 1/4?
Yes, I had it Widebodied w/stk Z-06 parts, A-4 Tranns, 3.90 gears/All bolt-ons possible N/A No drag setup Z06 wheels 19x12 rear 345's horrible 60' 1.9-2.+ but still managed 120+mph @ 11.9x Was wicked car, the TQ multiplication w/3.90's was retarded fast from stoplights but Scarry as hell w/3200 lbs even w/LSD on cold nights it'd break loose @ 75+mph rear swinging wildly from left to right (main reason I sold it, as it was a potential death trap, seen too many hit the wall @ 1/8 mi etc)

I made bunch of friends in Vette forums over 2 yrs I modded it, w/same mods & proper 16"-17" dragpak it was capable of mid 11's @ 120-123mph... After selling her a friend bought a similar C6 A-4 tranns, tossed stk motor out & transplanted Z06 motor, full N/A bolt-ons 550+ rwhp coupled to the Auto A-4 it ran 10.40 @ 130+ mph, dude had drag pkg on 24/7 anything else = 1 way ticket to Morgue...

My old C6 Vette..

Last edited by Thericker; 12-15-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 AMG E55
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Supply vs demand

How many 55k were built? Out of those number, what percentage are modded? R&D cost $$$, that somehow have to be recover. On the AMG crowd, the dumb one with the modded ones got the share of the R&D bill.
+1. Nailed it.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Nice vette Ricker I really love the C5Z06's the best. Nice and wide with a simple HCI and spray, high 9's are a walk in the park if you can drive the car to its full potential.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
What about the 63 cars? With the Weistec supercharger now available and a 63 engine has already made 600+rwhp why aren't any of the 63 owners getting it? I know it's an expensive package but didn't JRCart get 660whp out of his 63 BS. I know he had more mods than just the Weistec kit but it's not like the mods he did can't be done by anyone else, it's not exactly an SLR. The point is are the Weistec 63 kits still behind the 55k in terms of heatsoak and cooling issues? After all the 63 is a DOHC 6.2 so why would the new Weistec 55k kit be more potent than their 63 kit?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by e500slr
What about the 63 cars? With the Weistec supercharger now available and a 63 engine has already made 600+rwhp why aren't any of the 63 owners getting it? I know it's an expensive package but didn't JRCart get 660whp out of his 63 BS. I know he had more mods than just the Weistec kit but it's not like the mods he did can't be done by anyone else, it's not exactly an SLR. The point is are the Weistec 63 kits still behind the 55k in terms of heatsoak and cooling issues? After all the 63 is a DOHC 6.2 so why would the new Weistec 55k kit be more potent than their 63 kit?
because the 63 s/c is running less boost since its a NA engine... also the 63 s/c is a 2.3L blower while the 55K s/c will be a 3.0L blower so more potential power and better efficiency
Old 12-17-2011, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 E63, 2013 CLS63
Originally Posted by gaspam
because the 63 s/c is running less boost since its a NA engine... also the 63 s/c is a 2.3L blower while the 55K s/c will be a 3.0L blower so more potential power and better efficiency
I understand that part but my question was does the Weistec 63 kit have the same problems as the 55k is getting with cooling and what not. I'm just thinking can a Weistec E63 run mid 10s like the 55 has achieved? I mean they can make over 600rwhp and the torque is not bad either. The 7 speed might hold it back but is it possible?