W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is it that...... (Changing keyfob batteries + other issue)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Why is it that...... (Changing keyfob batteries + other issue)

I have two brands (energizer & duracell) brand new batteries.
whatever kind the new style key takes (CR2025 I believe)

And a third kind in the key currently. Car does have keyless go.
The batteries in fob need replaced. I try BOTH brand new brands and neither has any luck. THEY ARE installed correctly. Doesn't work at all - doesn't even light up the red light on fob when manually pressing lock or unlock.
Then I pop the old dying batts back in & we good....??

Secondly - is this normal?
Because I KNOW that the Bentley Continental GT does not do this.... (when key not present)
In addition to weaker signal strength (my sign that the batts in fob are dying) - twice now, while DRIVING randomly - I have gotten the Red "key not recognized" message in dash. I ignore this while it beeps at me constantly.
Then, when rolling up to a light - the second it hits 0mph - boom, car dies in drive, just shuts off. While I appreciate the safety/theft aspect of the feature, I feel this is also a safety hazard in a way/accident waiting to happen. - and how embarrassing if with a girl/client/etc !!
I grab the key out of pocket, flick her in neutral, and fire the car up. ZERO issues after that. And these two dying instances were weeks apart....

Thoughts?
Regards
Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
my car has done the second thing once before and it went away. i find that when i have my keys in the same pocket as my cell phone, the car has a harder time recognizing the key. when i first get in to start the car it will sometimes say key not detected, then i take out my cell phone and boom, car starts up
Old 01-05-2012, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
First issue you describe sounds like you might have a bad fob. I've changed my batteries in all 3 of my remotes and have not run into that issue.

Second issue you describe is likely caused by the first issue. On a few occasions my wife left my car with my keyless go fob in her purse. When she is about 10 feet away the warning starts popping up until the car eventually shuts off.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by xpl0sive
my car has done the second thing once before and it went away. i find that when i have my keys in the same pocket as my cell phone, the car has a harder time recognizing the key. when i first get in to start the car it will sometimes say key not detected, then i take out my cell phone and boom, car starts up
THIS.

Happens to me all the time. Do not keep your cell and your keys in the same pocket.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by jpohl402
I have two brands (energizer & duracell) brand new batteries.
whatever kind the new style key takes (CR2025 I believe)

And a third kind in the key currently. Car does have keyless go.
The batteries in fob need replaced. I try BOTH brand new brands and neither has any luck. THEY ARE installed correctly. Doesn't work at all - doesn't even light up the red light on fob when manually pressing lock or unlock.
Then I pop the old dying batts back in & we good....??
I know this is an old thread, but had this happen recently. Brand new Sony batteries on Ebay, shipped from China. (I've bought them before).

Voltage was strong @ 3.29V. I finally tested the amperage and they measured 20-35 mAh, when they should have been 160 mAh. And that 160 spec should hold down to 2.0 V.

Turns out they were counterfeit. My first clue was that there was no bar code(s) on the back of the package.