Sponsored by:

Blowing up an E55 Motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG, 2007 Chev Lumina SS, 2006 ML 320cdi
Blowing up an E55 Motor

I have crossed over from the C32 forum and would be interested in some feedback on 'what not to do when modifying an E55'. I plan on getting a 2004 E55 AMG with approx 100 000km on clock and only doing the pulley, headers, complete exhaust, tune and IC pump (if it needs it). I want a daily driver that is reliable and pulls like a freight train. If you have read my threads before you will know I have had a bad track record with my previous C32, blowing 2 motors and I can't repeat the same with an E55 because it will bankrupt me and probably lead to a divorce as well. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Make injectors one of your first mods and make sure your tune is good...have fun.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
you to Hate
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Make injectors one of your first mods and make sure your tune is good...have fun.
^^^^^ THIS
Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by I give up
I have crossed over from the C32 forum and would be interested in some feedback on 'what not to do when modifying an E55'. I plan on getting a 2004 E55 AMG with approx 100 000km on clock and only doing the pulley, headers, complete exhaust, tune and IC pump (if it needs it). I want a daily driver that is reliable and pulls like a freight train. If you have read my threads before you will know I have had a bad track record with my previous C32, blowing 2 motors and I can't repeat the same with an E55 because it will bankrupt me and probably lead to a divorce as well. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Since its a daily driver I would simply do k&n's, headers & a tune and you will pick up about 70rwhp and call it a day. The second you decide to go with any pulley you will want to add proper cooling & the TTM Fuel Rail and injector setup along with a retune and if you want more add a 82mm TB Kit and a upgraded air box or intake kit....good luck
Old 01-07-2012, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Originally Posted by I give up
Well the FIRST thing you need to do on an E55 with 62000miles (100k km) is do a compression test!! You HAVE to check those pistons to make sure you are starting with a good platform brotha. Can't tell you how many guys start to detect a piston going south and hurry up and put the car back to stock and dump it used. So sad but it happens.

After that.....what Hammer said above. If you have to go pulley...168mm should be MAX you should run. Super safe and adds a bit of boost over stock. Otherwise, headers add 30-40wheel, tune adds more.....larger TB adds even more. That's upper 500s crank without even adding massive heat from the pulley.

Last thing and VERY IMPORTANT. Was taught this by an E55 old timer years and years ago. If you EVER put this car on the dyno, please please invest in just a few gallons of race gas to mix in. The dyno is such a violent environment. Tiny air flow with massive heat buildup with little cooling. You are just asking for trouble with enough runs. Couple gals race gas mixed in at least throws you some insurance against detonation.