Sponsored by:

Problem replacing my belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem replacing my belt tensioner

I'm really hoping you guys can help:

I am having a problem replacing my belt tensioner. I have purchased 2 (one from Car Parts Wholesale on eBay and the other from AutoZone, Duralast brand - both companies showed the part was a fit for my 2005 E55 AMG), but neither one fit.

The problem is the bracket that holds the 2 hoses to the left of the tensioner is in the way. I could replace the tensioner if I did not re-mount the hose bracket, but I don't want to do that.

Here is a link to the tensioner I have previously purchased on eBay - the one I purchased from AutoZone is identical (I compared the two when I got home):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ACCESSOR...sories&vxp=mtr

Any advice on what to do or where to get the CORRECT part?

I've been trying to resolve this for months and cannot seem to find an answer through any forums or other websites.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Are you trying to source a S/C belt tensioner (upper left as you look at the motor) or accessory belt tensioner?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:09 PM

Porsche 911
What he said! ^^^

You are buying the tensioner that goes on the bottom right side of the engine when facing it from the front. You need the supercharger belt tensioner if you are trying to change the one visible on the top left side of the engine.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:57 PM

Maybe that is the problem. All the auto parts stores list the accessory belt tensioner and don't show the option of the supercharger tensioner. Do either of you have a part number or a specific model so I can find one. As I mentioned before, AutoZone only shows the one, as do many other stores.