W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove the trust arm from the font axel???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
how to remove the trust arm from the font axel???

Okay so last night the right front ball joint on my 55 decided to die

i called up the stealership to order a ball joint but they told be that the joint comes with the trust arm (part number: A 211 330 44 11) and the cost is +\- $300.00 so i ordered one ordered one from the stealership and today it arrived.

so i lifted the car up and started stripping the splash trays, engine gaurd and the old damaged part. but this is where the problem comes in i managed to loosen the main bolt and not on top (closest to the engine) but now the bolt that joins onto the steering knuckle wont budge and i have Q20ed the hell of it

i have included some pictures so you can see what im talking about and if the forum wants i can do a d.i.y incase anyone ever runs into this issue

if anyone knows if there is a special method to change this part or a special tool that might need to be used i would be most greatful for your insight.

Thanks my E55 (and 63) bredren!!
Attached Thumbnails how to remove the trust arm from the font axel???-11.1.2011-009.jpg   how to remove the trust arm from the font axel???-11.1.2011-010.jpg   how to remove the trust arm from the font axel???-11.1.2011-011.jpg   how to remove the trust arm from the font axel???-11.1.2011-012.jpg  
Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
You have to use a STOUT ball joint splitter as it requires some force to seperate the two
When it does come apart be ready for a earrth shattering bang!

See this excellent article on how to do it.

http://diyw211balljointchange.blogspot.com/
Old 01-11-2012, 11:40 AM

Porsche 911
What he said. ^^^

Just curious though, what was the indicator that the ball joint suddenly "died"?
Old 01-11-2012, 11:45 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
You have to use a STOUT ball joint splitter as it requires some force to seperate the two
When it does come apart be ready for a earrth shattering bang!

See this excellent article on how to do it.

http://diyw211balljointchange.blogspot.com/
Dude shot for the headsup i really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by vntgspd
What he said. ^^^

Just curious though, what was the indicator that the ball joint suddenly "died"?
It started with the car starting to pull slightly to the right with a light shudder on the steering wheel and then as I kept driving the car, the shudder got progressivly worse, and I just used a process of ilimination in my head. I have just had the rims straightened not so long ago so it couldnt be that, its not the tyres cause recently fitted new ones, couldnt be a shock cause we have airmatic so it had to be suspension link related.

And when I lifted the car up lo and behold there was the affending ball joint.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Originally Posted by jay_55
It started with the car starting to pull slightly to the right with a light shudder on the steering wheel and then as I kept driving the car, the shudder got progressivly worse, and I just used a process of ilimination in my head. I have just had the rims straightened not so long ago so it couldnt be that, its not the tyres cause recently fitted new ones, couldnt be a shock cause we have airmatic so it had to be suspension link related.

And when I lifted the car up lo and behold there was the affending ball joint.
I thought that arm with the ball joint you have pictured........ only effects the castor angle.

Inside tyre wear would be related to camber angle......... which is the rear main lower arm? (the other arm in the pictures)
Old 01-13-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
you may want to consider replacing both thrust arms as the newer arms come with solid rubber bushings and are a bit thicker. you should also consider replacing the lower ball joints while you're there. i'm learning that lesson 3k miles after replacing both of my thrust arms.

good luck.