Performance Valve Body (vid inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
yep, I should be getting my *** on that 3.06 install shortly too in conjuction with the TCU tune.
Hurry up mang, we are all waiting on you
Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Generally the work includes swapping out Solenoids for new AMG style blue tops, some machining work is do in increase flow, and some restrictors are put in valve inlets to increase pressure. Don't quote me though.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Generally the work includes swapping out Solenoids for new AMG style blue tops, some machining work is do in increase flow, and some restrictors are put in valve inlets to increase pressure. Don't quote me though.
Yeah, I am doing the SLR solenoids soon to, when I do the valve body Once it is all said and done, my tranny will look like this:
  • slr solenoids
  • performance valve body
  • TCU tune
  • 3000 stall
Old 01-21-2012, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
FWIW - - - My 2004 has a build date of March and when I went to change to the Blue Tops, they were already there from the factory. I replaced them anyway because I had already purchased new Blue Tops. I don't know the changeover date or if it was a fluke in this instance. I suggest that you look to see what you have before purchasing new ones.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
You referring to the solenoids homey??
Old 01-21-2012, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
Yes the valve body already has blue solenoids. I also bought another complete valve body from the dealer which I ran for about 100 miles and it also has blue solenoids. Bill at Paramount Performance told me he doesn't even change them from tue brown ones when he does the stage 2 mod for the SRT-8 guys and I have read posts of theirs saying how it shifts much harder/faster and they actually can chirp the gears so I don't think the solenoids are needed when the other VB mods are done which I believe are changing tue size of the ports in the center plate so fluid can escape faster from one valve area to the next and also the springs used may be changed to something stiffer.

Also Bill told me the SRT-8 and our VB are not the exact same because I asked him if I could just buy one of them at first.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by urbamworm
...One thing I did notice with the tcu tune is the car sort of cuts out for a split second (you can hear this in the video) then explodes in to the next gear which you can't really tell in the video. If you listen before tcu tune you hear the engine the whole time through the shift but after tune it is different, I am not sure what that is all about. To me it seems like if it didn't do that it would be a faster shift. I really don't know what to think about the tune and if it helped/hurt/didn't change shift speeds but I mean it has to be better right? I just wonder if because it was tuned around a stock valve body that since mine is modded it may not work as well/the same...
my shifts started doing this after renntech tried their tcu tune on my car and it sucks. even after purchasing a new tcu it still shifts like that! PLEASE let me know if you get this resolved!

Originally Posted by AgSilver
FWIW - - - My 2004 has a build date of March and when I went to change to the Blue Tops, they were already there from the factory. I replaced them anyway because I had already purchased new Blue Tops. I don't know the changeover date or if it was a fluke in this instance. I suggest that you look to see what you have before purchasing new ones.
i have a june '03 build and already had the blue tops as well.

...Also Bill told me the SRT-8 and our VB are not the exact same because I asked him if I could just buy one of them at first.
been saying this for years! i'm glad one of the srt8 guys finally admitted/confirmed it!
Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I am just convinced nothing is gonna help our slushers shift like the new 7 speeds or even close to that lightning.

I just wish I had pre collapse income, I'd find a way to make that sum beotch (new 7 speed) work on our cars.

It's truly the missing link

Sigh.....someday
Well the problem is the newer fast shifting auto transmissions have more gears so they are closer ratio. Because of this the rpms don't have to drop as much in each gear which takes time, then on top of that we have long gears which makes it even worse for that big rpm drop between shifts, which as I said takes time. Guess we just need to make a little extra power to make up for the slow shifts
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
I can see this point as being valid. I do however still think the key is in the electronics, not just internally in the vb. For instance, and this is the 7 speed however, the vb's on a c300, and a C63 are exactly the same. The difference is in programming, and boy does it shift differently, and even match downshifts. Not sure if you guys remember me starting a "electronic shift kit" thread...but its in progress and will have more updates shortly.

Well the problem is the newer fast shifting auto transmissions have more gears so they are closer ratio. Because of this the rpms don't have to drop as much in each gear which takes time, then on top of that we have long gears which makes it even worse for that big rpm drop between shifts, which as I said takes time. Guess we just need to make a little extra power to make up for the slow shifts
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Just as a point of reference, the lightning has 3 gears and an overdrive (4th). The gears are not short or close ratio by any means although the rear does have a 3.73 ring and pinion.

Thanks for the pointers on the solenoids, I will scratch that off the list.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Iknownothing
I can see this point as being valid. I do however still think the key is in the electronics, not just internally in the vb. For instance, and this is the 7 speed however, the vb's on a c300, and a C63 are exactly the same. The difference is in programming, and boy does it shift differently, and even match downshifts. Not sure if you guys remember me starting a "electronic shift kit" thread...but its in progress and will have more updates shortly.
Same part number or look the same? Kinda hard to believe they are the exact same as for not having different shift solenoids for higher line pressure or different size orifices in the center plate to allow for quicker shifts along with different TCU tuning.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
ya, I thought the same thing, upon double checking with the parts dept, Exact same part #s and have installed numerous times on both standard c-classes and C63's.. Its all in the programming! [QUOTE=urbamworm;5017078]Same part number or look the same? Kinda hard to believe they are the exact same as for not having different shift solenoids for higher line pressure or different size orifices in the center plate to allow for quicker shifts along with different TCU tuning

Last edited by Shifter; 01-22-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: addition