Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E55 engine problem?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Thanks to everyone on this forum for all your support,however I've decided to just go along with whatever MB decides.
I would not ,under any circumstances, get myself involved in any legal quagmire with a big corporation,especially when legally I don't have a case(not applicable under Illinois Lemon Law ,yet.)
I can not force them to do the right thing,the only way I can get even is to stop buying their product,and that's what I'll do.
Initially ,I thought that after spending over $500k since 2001 on their cars alone,that fact would give me some clout with them,obviously I was wrong.
I'll take my business elsewhere.....
Old 07-01-2003, 05:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In that case, I'd suggest informing the dealer you won't be buying any more cars from them or any other MB dealership ever again based on this decision. Make sure you tell the GM this, no one lower. Also, FedEx a letter to the head of MBUSA that says the same thing, all based on their reluctance to replace the car or even give you any options. Those two things can't hurt you as they've already stated you have no options. Thus, you have nothing to lose..

IMO you're making the assumption that the proper people with decision-making authority have been involved in your issue. That may not be a correct assumption. Customer service failusres happen in EVERY company every day, largely because the right people who could've fixed the problem never hear about those problems.

The reason I suggest FedEx versus standard mail is that it tends to get attention and quicker action as opposed to just another envelope. It also has a much better chance of getting routed to the proper person.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Originally posted by kaneman
In that case, I'd suggest informing the dealer you won't be buying any more cars from them or any other MB dealership ever again based on this decision. Make sure you tell the GM this, no one lower. Also, FedEx a letter to the head of MBUSA that says the same thing, all based on their reluctance to replace the car or even give you any options. Those two things can't hurt you as they've already stated you have no options. Thus, you have nothing to lose..

A good suggestion. If you're not happy make sure the RIGHT people know.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:49 PM

Nissan 350Z & Toyota Landcruiser 100 Tdi, i lack a benz...but one day
This is poor by mercedes benz, not replacing a hi-line product is assholism. thats where they make their money. My Dad's 00' BMW 523 had a engine failure at the 1st 1000km's BMW replaced it with that new 525 facelift version few weeks later.

im sorry hear this too, if worse comes to worse you can always go back and abuse them and lay the smackdown on them

hehehe

good luck for which ever way you choose
Old 07-02-2003, 09:40 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 129 Posts
BMW seems to be doing a lot more toward customer retention lately...good for them
Old 07-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Almost a Member!

2001 E320, 2003 C230 Kompressor
Absent

Your obviously a very successful person....or you wouldn't be able to afford the cars you drive. That is why for the life of me I can't understand why you would just settle for a replacement engine.

Of course the MB rep is going to be all sweet and apologize all over the place. That's her job! It's also her job to keep costs down! I imagine performance based bonuses have something to do with it. Did you ask her if that was her car would she be happy with a replacement engine and a non matching #'s car? I bet not!

I had a boss once that taught me a great lesson......Basically it was this, when you have a problem in which you speak to a company rep (and they the company always put you intouch with the lowest person on the ladder first) if you don't get the desired response, ask to speak to their boss, and if you still don't get the desired response, ask to speak to their boss. Take it as high as you need to go until you get the desired response. Being polite but firm and persistent through the whole process.

Also, don't you have any TV stations that take on this kind of thing in your area.....most every area does.....in Tampa Channel 8 has a thing called "8 On Your Side". I'm sure MB does not want this in the news.

Getting a lawyer is not necessary, but being firm and persistent is. I feel that you have an excellent chance of getting a new E55 if you are. However, if you just sit back and take what MB hands out, then I don't feel sorry for you and you got what you deserved because you didn't fight for what is right. This is the real world and the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

FYI.....Just 2 days ago, I returned a 8 month old Waterpic and exchange it for a new one because it quit working. I sure as hell wouldn't keep a defective E55.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 07-03-2003, 09:50 AM

2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
Originally posted by benz2
Absent

Your obviously a very successful person....or you wouldn't be able to afford the cars you drive. That is why for the life of me I can't understand why you would just settle for a replacement engine.

Of course the MB rep is going to be all sweet and apologize all over the place. That's her job! It's also her job to keep costs down! I imagine performance based bonuses have something to do with it. Did you ask her if that was her car would she be happy with a replacement engine and a non matching #'s car? I bet not!

I had a boss once that taught me a great lesson......Basically it was this, when you have a problem in which you speak to a company rep (and they the company always put you intouch with the lowest person on the ladder first) if you don't get the desired response, ask to speak to their boss, and if you still don't get the desired response, ask to speak to their boss. Take it as high as you need to go until you get the desired response. Being polite but firm and persistent through the whole process.

Also, don't you have any TV stations that take on this kind of thing in your area.....most every area does.....in Tampa Channel 8 has a thing called "8 On Your Side". I'm sure MB does not want this in the news.

Getting a lawyer is not necessary, but being firm and persistent is. I feel that you have an excellent chance of getting a new E55 if you are. However, if you just sit back and take what MB hands out, then I don't feel sorry for you and you got what you deserved because you didn't fight for what is right. This is the real world and the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

FYI.....Just 2 days ago, I returned a 8 month old Waterpic and exchange it for a new one because it quit working. I sure as hell wouldn't keep a defective E55.

Just my 2 cents!
I doubt that the local news is going to be too sensitive to the poor guy that had to accept a replacement engine in his $80,000 car

However; I agree that you should inform the owner of the dealership where you have transacted $500,000 of buisness that you have lost confidence in them and will be switching brands. I would copy the various powers that be as well...

Good luck
Old 07-03-2003, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Montvale is very familiar with my case,spoke for the last time today with a senior rep,who politely explained to me the facts of life,they plan to replace the engine,will not replace the car nor refund any money unless the car qualifies under Illinois lemon law(4 weeks in service).
The fact that I bought all their cars before is irrelevant in this case,if I don't buy any more MB cars in the future that would be my decision.
Said ,replacing the whole car is too expensive to the manufacturer($80k is obviously nothing for me),when I pointed out the case of BMW replacing their cars ,even when engine swap was feasible,just to keep good relationship with their customer,he countered it was only on a case by case and mine did not qualify.
I've had it,have no time to write letters and talk to them on the phone any more.I will keep my word,it is my last MB ever and will be replaced ASAP.I will never ever recomend any of their product to anybody,instead I'll make sure to steer them to competition.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:13 AM

2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
Sorry to hear that...poor biz practice on thier part for a repeat customer. As far as resale goes if you sell it right now while people are still hot for them it really should not be an issue. The engine is being replaced by MB with OEM MB with full warranty remaining. As far as I'm concerned it's still a numbers matching car as it is being fitted by the factory. If some one tells ya different they are just trying to get a deal (like I would do ).

Good luck!

btw, how did you like the Renntech package on your c32?
Old 07-03-2003, 12:04 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

2 exactly the same 700 miles e55's

one with no service history

one with engine replacement done at dealer (not factory)

both the same price. Which car would you buy? Which car would you pay less for?

A car without matching #'s is worth less, providng the buyer is aware of it. Some states even require the number discrepancy noted on a new title.

This poor fellow got shafted and his dealer was the worse culprit of the two evils.

Absent: When you take delivery of your new Bentley GT ( I love that thing) drive it by the benz dealer and show it to the GM, tell him you were going to order a Maybach from them and decided to pass since they offered you no help with your e55 and got the GT instead, the commission on a Maybach is about $40,000.00 to the dealer.

Customer loyalty seems to mean nothing to your dealer and MB, it really is ashame that you could not talk to someone on a much much higher level at MB that really cares about losing a valuable customer like you. I would write the CEO in Germany of DC and ask him how he would feel if he was treated this way and why a repeat customer like you ( list all the cars you've purchased) meant nothing to them or the dealer, as you got the EXACT SAME treatment as a first time customer. I would also mention the Bentley to him as well and enclose some sort of written confirmation for your pending purchase. DC lost a MB client and a possible Maybach client as Bentley owners are #2 on the list of target customers for Maybach.

The best wishes to you and many satisfying miles with any new car you purchase...you deserve it

Last edited by RJC; 07-03-2003 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

With all this bad taste in my mouth caused by dealing with MB,I would like to stress that I have no beef whatsoever with the Dealer.I had nothing but full support and cooperation from them,remember though,they did not provide the warranty,it is MB's responsibility,they can not force the Manufacturer to do as they please,they can not afford to eat a loss like that on their own(why should they?)and finally,in the end they surely do not want to totally aggravate their franchisor.
Dealer is just a small local business trying to make a living and this whole thing ,in my mind at least,is putting the MBUSA reputation on the line.
God knows how many Benzes were bought over the years ,by people asking for my recomendations..................
Old 07-03-2003, 02:17 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure they were nice, nothing lost/offered on their part plus they made a very nice commission selling you the 55 and all the others you owned, they could have stepped in and offered to get you a new 55 at dead cost and given you top dollar for your current car. Did they offer any of this?
Old 07-03-2003, 02:51 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Hey absent,

I agree with RJC. The dealer should be going the extra mile given how much revenue they generate from your purchases.

I am suprised, however, about your experience with MBUSA. They have always worked with the dealer to take great care of me. Furthermore, these decisions are almost always made locally, by those who have examined the car. MBUSA provides support. I'm surprised that they wouldn't swap your car immediately if it was one of the very rare occasions where an AMG engine failed.

Normally I would expect that they would have examined the engine and especially the black box data to determine the likely cause for failure. If they did actually do that and the data indicated that the car had been driven well within the reasonable range for break-in, then I can't imaginge why they wouldn't make you whole in a heartbeat.

Regardless, the leverage point is the dealer.

OT: I assume that you traded your Renntech C32 back to the dealer. Did they have any issues with your mods?

Last edited by blando; 07-03-2003 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:45 PM

Folks, I have to take a contrarian view here. Absent keeps his car for year or so. He'll probably trade it in (assuming he changes his position about not buying more MBs) at the same dealer. I don't know of anyone who cares about matching numbers unless they are buying a collector car - the E55 is hot, but its an everyday driver's car. Since the dealer wants to do him right, they'll probably give him blue book for the car. Problem solved.

Absent, pick your battles, I recommend asking yourself what is the best use of your time (and mental energy), and you will have a great car for the next year even with a new engine. The only downside is if they screw up the engine install, but who knows what weird problems your new replacement car may have. It's a crapshoot either way, IMHO.

Best of luck!

Last edited by RedBaron; 07-03-2003 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2003, 12:03 AM

E55, C32, ML320
The engine change becomes part of the vehicle history/record. Also in some states you may have to disclose this type of repair.

Either way the value of the car is effectively diminished despite the repair. If this were the result of an auto accident, he would be able to pursue a diminished value claim with the ins co to recoup the difference.

Again, if you can demonstrate that this is that rare time an AMG engine fails and the data (black box, etc.) supports that, then I would push for the dealer to make you whole.

Just my $.03
Old 07-04-2003, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A bucket on wheels
hey absent...im so sorry to hear what happened to your car and although others would pursue hiring an attorney and what not, you chose not to and that is acceptable....hey your getting your bentley gt soon(2nd on list) im sure it will take all your mind off of mercedes..good luck with your car
Old 07-07-2003, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Originally posted by blando
The engine change becomes part of the vehicle history/record. Also in some states you may have to disclose this type of repair.

Where would this information be listing to a future potential buyer? This type of repair (I believe) will not go on a VIN report from say Carfax because the repair is not from an accident and the insurance carrier is not involved. A CarFax report only shows insurance claim data (I believe). I don't believe that repairs have to be reported to the state DMV either.

Last edited by E55 KEV; 07-07-2003 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:31 PM

2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Carfax is worthless... Since everyone here is an enthusiast for the most part...I'll say it like it is. My GS400 was stolen 2 years ago...recovered...was in accidetn, 23k+ in damage. Not totalled, but significant damage. HAS YET to show up on carfax, and i checked as recently as 2 months ago.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:09 PM

E55, C32, ML320
Originally posted by E55 KEV
Where would this information be listing to a future potential buyer? This type of repair (I believe) will not go on a VIN report from say Carfax because the repair is not from an accident and the insurance carrier is not involved. A CarFax report only shows insurance claim data (I believe). I don't believe that repairs have to be reported to the state DMV either.
It's in the MB database. Any MB dealer that you would want to sell the car to would have that data. A private buyer would not be able to access MB's repair record for the car unless they have a connection at MB (which some do.)

I believe in some states you must disclose any major issues with the car. Furthermore, once the new owner takes possession they should be able to gain access to the vehicle history through MB.

Carfax does suck. It's hit or miss and doesn't cover enough data. Plus MB would never allow that type of access to their records...
Old 07-10-2003, 06:33 PM

Michael Jordan should have stuck with basketball!!!
Old 07-20-2003, 08:15 AM

Absent, how did the replacement engine work out. Same quality of installation as the factory? Any noticeable differences? etc.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:41 AM

2000 S500 Brilliant Silver, 1990 BMW 735iL, 1971 Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO, 1976 Pontiac Formula 400
Absent, maybe I missed the post, but what exactly went wrong with your engine?
Thanks
Old 07-20-2003, 11:15 AM

2001 E55 & 1988 BMW M6
I would agree that this type of work, although considered "warranty," will have an impact on pricing...

I just recently purchased a low-milage e55 from an MB dealer - one of my final questions/follow-ups to the dealer PRIOR to committing to purchase was for him to fax me the service history on the car. The only out-of-ordinary service was a warranty replacement for one of the side-view mirrors [for a faulty motor]. No big deal, in my opinion.

If this report had shown that the engine had been replaced, I would have PASSED on the car. Had I been looking for a "deal," I might have used that as an opportunity to shave 10-15% off the price... either way, the value of the car has been significantly diminished by such an event.

Obviously, the longer Absent's hold-period on this car, the less of an impact he'll feel. His dealer knows this, and should be working with him to "make him whole." If not, it may be time to shop for a better dealer.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

About 350 miles on the new engine,no problems so far.
I'm no longer "excited" though,when driving it.
It's like you have a beautiful "supermodel"wife(girlfriend) who cheated on you just once,was sorry,you decided to keep her, but the trust is gone.............
Michael Jordan's signature was on my old engine,heard that there were 2 others with problems(55 kompressor).
The culprit in my case was the fuel pump which disintegrated,damaging the engine completely.At least,that's what they told me.
I've had no further contact with MB since.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:15 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I know what you mean. When my CLK 500 was in for service they left the cover off the oil dip stick tube (yes I know there is no dip stick but there is a tube with a cover that the dealer can use) and I drove the car for 4 days in heavy rain plus a car wash shortly after the rain ended, ever since then I had a noise coming from inside the drivers side valve cover. Turns out the dealer had to replace the cam gear spockets. Although not as bad as a new engine they did have to "open it up" and remove cams etc. I'm not a very happy camper as the car only had 2400 miles at the time and I have no idea of what other future damage may surface from this. In addition, the car was out of service for many other items totaling 35 days in less than 5 months of ownership!The factory rep gave me lots of assurance when I met with him and ended up offering nothing. It is now in my dealers hands, we'll see how much of what they say, will be what they actually do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E55 engine problem?