W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shifting issue...last annoying thread, I hope.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Transmission shifting issue...last annoying thread, I hope.

I did a little trial and error tonight on the way home. I found that if I'm in M mode and go WOT in 2, 3, 4, or 5th gear the car downshifts to the lowest gear. I thought that only happened when you were in Sport or Comfort mode? Also, I had reset the ECU yesterday by pulling the negative terminal and it seemed to fix the clunking. I'm going to do a few more tests tomorrow when it's warmer. If it acts differently, I'll know.

I had the transmission shift parameters reset a few months ago by a dealership and it didn't fix anything. Just left my pocket a bit lighter.

Have any of you experienced a 5th to 2nd downshift in manual mode by just going WOT? I'm assuming it's not a mechanical failure, but more of a software issue.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
I have an 05 e55 and in M it wont shift at all,even if I hit the kick down button and it will sit at the rev limiter if I go wot.

On my brothers 04 it will downshift if you go wot and it will shift on its own before you hit the limiter.

we found out that his would down shift when we were trying to dyno it in 4th and the car downshifted to second gear even in m mode and dyno mode.

hope that helps
Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 PM

2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by skratch77
I have an 05 e55 and in M it wont shift at all,even if I hit the kick down button and it will sit at the rev limiter if I go wot.

On my brothers 04 it will downshift if you go wot and it will shift on its own before you hit the limiter.

we found out that his would down shift when we were trying to dyno it in 4th and the car downshifted to second gear even in m mode and dyno mode.

hope that helps
It used to hang in manual until I shifted. It also used to accelerate in one gear with WOT, but not it downshifts to the "best" gear.

Probably some software the dealership installed.

It looks like I'm going to have to just ship it across the country and a let my friend(that knows a lot about E55s, and knows a lot of people that possibly know more about them) work on it while I'm out of the states.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Edit: Also, I'm getting a clicking noise in the steering column. When the car is off/on, and I slightly turn the wheel in either direction, it makes a clicking sound. I was told that it was normal. Funny thing it just started as of recently...LOL.

What happened to troubleshooting a problem? Now the dealers only seem to check codes.

No codey, no brokey.

Last edited by Mantooth; 02-08-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:19 AM

2004 E55 AMG
The symptoms I'm getting(steering wheel) is due to a bad steering rack and/or rack and pinion, from what I've read. The steering rack was JUST replaced under warranty with a remanufactured part, and it STILL has the same symptoms.

You get what you pay for...
Old 02-08-2012, 02:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
+1 on what skratch said about the model years and your theory on the dealer possibly having applied some software update, heck maybe some star control module programming while they were in there.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by skratch77

hope that helps
+1 my 06 in M mode won't shift at all not until i shift up. Kinda scary when your car just keep going without shifting.....
Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
03,04 will shift if kickdown button is pressed, also shift at redline. 05,06 will hold gears, and bounce off rev limiter.

There is no software updates via SDS the dealer can do on the TCU.