Rear Airmatic covered under aftermarket warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, 04 Dodge Ram
Rear Airmatic covered under aftermarket warranty

Hi all

Got an 05 E55 with a leak in the rear air matic system. I was wondering if anyone with an aftermarket warranty through Fidelity aka Carefree Car Protection (Platinum package) has had this issue approved for repair by the warranty company.

The exclusion states that "Shock Absorbers" are not covered but I am not sure if the airmatic system classifies as an Shock Absorber.

Thanks!

Mer
Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MKV
Hi all

Got an 05 E55 with a leak in the rear air matic system. I was wondering if anyone with an aftermarket warranty through Fidelity aka Carefree Car Protection (Platinum package) has had this issue approved for repair by the warranty company.

The exclusion states that "Shock Absorbers" are not covered but I am not sure if the airmatic system classifies as an Shock Absorber.

Thanks!

Mer
It's a spring not a shock...

Shocks do not support the weight of the car, don't take no for an answer!

-G
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55, 04 Dodge Ram
Turns out it was not the rear airmatic system. The rear shocks are blown. Can anyone suggest some replacements?

Last edited by 06MKV; 02-28-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by 06MKV
Turns out it was not the rear airmatic system. The rear shocks on blown. Can anyone suggest some replacements?
OEM is about it. They are $400 plus for each shock. Rear airbags are $700 plus each.

You can try eBay. For about $2000 plus labor you can swop the whole mess out for coilovers.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
OEM is about it. They are $400 plus for each shock. Rear airbags are $700 plus each.

You can try eBay. For about $2000 plus labor you can swop the whole mess out for coilovers.

This is probably the most practical way to deal with AirMatic failures as these cars get older..... don't repair, REPLACE!

Going with a coilover conversion also has the benefit of allowing you to lower the car to your desired ride height without messing around with ELMs. Given that a V2 ELM costs something like $800, and a V3 is around $1300.... it's an even greater motivation to just remove the failure-prone AirMatic system.

The real "trick" is getting the warranty company to pay you for the AirMatic failure and then apply that $$$ toward the coilover conversion!

-G
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
one car at a time
Here are a few excellent options :

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...18_pid134.html

I believe they also make a coilover system that connects to your ECU so as to not throw some stupid cel or light on the dash.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by cij911
Here are a few excellent options :

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...18_pid134.html

I believe they also make a coilover system that connects to your ECU so as to not throw some stupid cel or light on the dash.
Those are for the front noe rear. Arnott has been talking about reman rears for at least 2 years now and I even had an email from them back in October saying they's be availble Novemeber. Wee it's Almost March and still 0 from them. They have also talked about coilovers and 0 to date too!

BTW you can disable airmatic suspension using STAR DAS by selectiing suspension type as Steel and no warnings will be given.