W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the E55.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
just file a claim
Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC63s, W222 S63, W223 S580
Originally Posted by moosejaw
Did you supply him with invoices or a contact phone number?
Yes sir! Ill contact him again.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by saltydizzle
a little bump here...

Got a call from NHTSA today. trying to get Mercedes to "do the right thing" and actually fix the problem. Hopefully Mercedes steps up here and takes care of the W211s.
Not going to happen voluntarily or it would have already happened. They will have to force the issue and make them recall the cars.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211
Class action suit was just filed: W211 Fuel Tank Suit
Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Yes Mercedes is doing whatever it can to put you and your family at risk by driving these cars. It's of no consequence to them it's customers inhaling noxious fuel vapors on a daily basis. You tell me what car fuel system fails and needs to be replaced in its entirety and also within its own warranty period
Old 07-24-2012, 08:51 AM

W203-4M W163
Article on LAW.COM

Class action alleges dangerous fuel leaks in Mercedes E-Class models

A lawsuit filed by a class of consumers alleges that Mercedes-Benz USA LLC failed to repair the gasoline tanks and related components in its E-Class models that have caused fuel to leak or vapors to spread inside the cars' cabins.

The suit, filed on July 18 in federal court in Atlanta, cites a 2008 recall of the Mercedes E55 AMG that it alleges failed to repair faulty components. The suit expands the defect allegations to include the E350, E500, E550 and E63 AMG models.

"We believe they all have the same fuel tank," said Neil Goro, an associate at Texas-based Wilmington Rumley Dunn & Ritch, which filed the suit along with Atlanta's Conley Griggs Partin. "We've received complaints from owners with various E-Class vehicles — not just the E55 — and they were all complaining of the same, or very similar, issues with fuel leaks."

Geoff Day, a spokesman for Mercedes and its parent corporation, Daimler A.G., both of which were named in the complaint, declined to comment.

On Jan. 23, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation into gas leaks in all E55 vehicles for the years 2003-06. The investigation, which is pending, followed the recall of the same models.

"Defendants still have not redesigned and manufactured the fuel tanks free of all defects," the suit alleges. "Owners who have been forced by Defendants to purchase and replace defective gasoline tanks out-of-pocket only received new defective gasoline tanks."

The class includes consumers in Georgia, Texas and Virginia who bought or leased E-Class models from model years 2003 through 2009.

According to the complaint, Ronan McCabe of Tucker, Ga., bought a 2006 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG on January 24. One day later, he noticed a gas odor coming from the right side rear of the car. He took it to a dealership the following day, where technicians replaced the fuel-sending unit and charged him about $300. On February 3, McCabe noticed that the odor had returned and that gas was leaking from the car. Three days later, technicians replaced the gas tank, fuel-sending units, fuel pump, rings and seals for more than $1,600.

Also according to the complaint, Jon Dustin Stone of Plano, Texas, bought a Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG on July 7, 2011. On January 8, he took his car into a local dealership, where technicians replaced the left-side fuel-sending unit and installed a new seal on the right unit. Stone returned to the dealership 12 days later complaining of a gas odor in the cabin. Technicians found a "material defect" in the new fuel-sending unit, which they replaced. Then, on February 3, Stone returned again after finding a pool of gas under his car in his garage; technicians replaced the entire gas tank.

Minh Vo, of Sterling, Va., purchased a used 2006 Mercedes-Benz E500 on December 15, 2008, and a used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG on December 23, 2010, according to the complaint. He took his E55 into a dealership on March 14, 2011, after complaining of gas odor. Technicians replaced one fuel sending unit and two seal rings for $945. Vo has noticed the same odor in his E500.

"They've all actually had leakage and they've had their fuel tanks replaced, and they were replaced with new defective fuel tanks that will again leak," Goro said of the named plaintiffs.

Goro, who works in the firm's San Antonio office, could not say how many consumers could be part of each class in those states, but noted that nationwide more than 300,000 of the cars at issue have been sold.

"This is a huge safety concern," he said. Beside the risk of fire or explosion, exposure to gasoline vapors could cause sickness or other health problems, the suit says.

The suit, which seeks compensatory and punitive damages, asserts violations of the U.S. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the Texas Deceptive Practices Act and the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. Additionally, it alleges unjust enrichment, fraudulent concealment, breach of express warranty and implied warranty of merchantability, and breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.

Contact Amanda Bronstad at abronstad@alm.com.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
one car at a time
Anyone have contact info for this law firm ? It would appear we should all jump on board with them as well.....
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Class action suit is not always the best way to go as most of the time the lawyers will take most of the money and EVERYONE will settle with pennies, look up Heather Peters vs. Honda
She did it the right way and now everyone can use her case as a citation
Old 07-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Hulk
Class action suit is not always the best way to go as most of the time the lawyers will take most of the money and EVERYONE will settle with pennies, look up Heather Peters vs. Honda
She did it the right way and now everyone can use her case as a citation
Unfortunately, Honda won its appeal of Heather's case.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
one car at a time
Well I guess the NHTSA is the route for me then...I am not looking to make money from MBs mistakes, I just want the gas leak issues addressed and fixed properly.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 102 Likes on 90 Posts
A Merc
Nhtsa is the way to go not lawyers just was making a point that a class action suit will only make the lawyers make money and leave the people with a problem and maybe a couple hundred bucks
Old 07-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 E63s, 2004 E55 AMG
some publicity! http://jalopnik.com/5928347/5-millio...from-customers
Old 07-24-2012, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by FraKctured
Article on LAW.COM

Class action alleges dangerous fuel leaks in Mercedes E-Class models

A lawsuit filed by a class of consumers alleges that Mercedes-Benz USA LLC failed to repair the gasoline tanks and related components in its E-Class models that have caused fuel to leak or vapors to spread inside the cars' cabins.

The suit, filed on July 18 in federal court in Atlanta, cites a 2008 recall of the Mercedes E55 AMG that it alleges failed to repair faulty components. The suit expands the defect allegations to include the E350, E500, E550 and E63 AMG models.

"We believe they all have the same fuel tank," said Neil Goro, an associate at Texas-based Wilmington Rumley Dunn & Ritch, which filed the suit along with Atlanta's Conley Griggs Partin. "We've received complaints from owners with various E-Class vehicles — not just the E55 — and they were all complaining of the same, or very similar, issues with fuel leaks."

Geoff Day, a spokesman for Mercedes and its parent corporation, Daimler A.G., both of which were named in the complaint, declined to comment.

On Jan. 23, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration opened an investigation into gas leaks in all E55 vehicles for the years 2003-06. The investigation, which is pending, followed the recall of the same models.

"Defendants still have not redesigned and manufactured the fuel tanks free of all defects," the suit alleges. "Owners who have been forced by Defendants to purchase and replace defective gasoline tanks out-of-pocket only received new defective gasoline tanks."

The class includes consumers in Georgia, Texas and Virginia who bought or leased E-Class models from model years 2003 through 2009.

According to the complaint, Ronan McCabe of Tucker, Ga., bought a 2006 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG on January 24. One day later, he noticed a gas odor coming from the right side rear of the car. He took it to a dealership the following day, where technicians replaced the fuel-sending unit and charged him about $300. On February 3, McCabe noticed that the odor had returned and that gas was leaking from the car. Three days later, technicians replaced the gas tank, fuel-sending units, fuel pump, rings and seals for more than $1,600.

Also according to the complaint, Jon Dustin Stone of Plano, Texas, bought a Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG on July 7, 2011. On January 8, he took his car into a local dealership, where technicians replaced the left-side fuel-sending unit and installed a new seal on the right unit. Stone returned to the dealership 12 days later complaining of a gas odor in the cabin. Technicians found a "material defect" in the new fuel-sending unit, which they replaced. Then, on February 3, Stone returned again after finding a pool of gas under his car in his garage; technicians replaced the entire gas tank.

Minh Vo, of Sterling, Va., purchased a used 2006 Mercedes-Benz E500 on December 15, 2008, and a used 2005 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG on December 23, 2010, according to the complaint. He took his E55 into a dealership on March 14, 2011, after complaining of gas odor. Technicians replaced one fuel sending unit and two seal rings for $945. Vo has noticed the same odor in his E500.

"They've all actually had leakage and they've had their fuel tanks replaced, and they were replaced with new defective fuel tanks that will again leak," Goro said of the named plaintiffs.

Goro, who works in the firm's San Antonio office, could not say how many consumers could be part of each class in those states, but noted that nationwide more than 300,000 of the cars at issue have been sold.

"This is a huge safety concern," he said. Beside the risk of fire or explosion, exposure to gasoline vapors could cause sickness or other health problems, the suit says.

The suit, which seeks compensatory and punitive damages, asserts violations of the U.S. Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the Texas Deceptive Practices Act and the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. Additionally, it alleges unjust enrichment, fraudulent concealment, breach of express warranty and implied warranty of merchantability, and breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.

Contact Amanda Bronstad at abronstad@alm.com.
Best post on this thread here period
Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
YES! Were FINALLY making progress! Publicity, and good lawsuit claims, I even noticed two of my complaints listed in the part where they listed NHTSA complaints. If anybody wants my story for any reason, ask me! I want everyone to know that It gets so bad as to cause head aches and burns your nostrils and throat, just from parking in a garage over night. Sad thing is, to put it in perspective, I have an over sized 3 car garage, and it FILLED with fumes in a matter or 12 hours. My mom smokes too, I am glad she didn't come into the garage and light up before hand.. I don't know what I would do if this caused my garage to ignite.. My garage is basically my life, in fact its not even a garage to me. I have some TVs out here, some Xboxs, two sofas, a few computers, tools, radio with speakers everywhere, workbenches, LED lights for partys and such, I mean its like a home away from home to me.. Hence the car sitting out side at night. In fact, because of the gas issue, we had to park outside, where my hood emblem got ripped off! Mercedes should cover that too.. *******s
Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Lol, sorry for the rant... this is a heated subject for me..
Old 07-24-2012, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Originally Posted by 03'55AMG
YES! Were FINALLY making progress! Publicity, and good lawsuit claims, I even noticed two of my complaints listed in the part where they listed NHTSA complaints. If anybody wants my story for any reason, ask me! I want everyone to know that It gets so bad as to cause head aches and burns your nostrils and throat, just from parking in a garage over night. Sad thing is, to put it in perspective, I have an over sized 3 car garage, and it FILLED with fumes in a matter or 12 hours. My mom smokes too, I am glad she didn't come into the garage and light up before hand.. I don't know what I would do if this caused my garage to ignite.. My garage is basically my life, in fact its not even a garage to me. I have some TVs out here, some Xboxs, two sofas, a few computers, tools, radio with speakers everywhere, workbenches, LED lights for partys and such, I mean its like a home away from home to me.. Hence the car sitting out side at night. In fact, because of the gas issue, we had to park outside, where my hood emblem got ripped off! Mercedes should cover that too.. *******s
A little too much information that was shared there.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
yeah a good way of getting burglarized for all of your stuff. But file a complaint and contact the right people if you want to be heard.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I guess I should that I also have a security system then too. I even covered all the windows at eye level with snow like spray or signs, unless the windows are facing my house. I haven't had any robbery's before, so I don't see it being a problem. Not to mention I can see our Police Department from our second story windows. There's always cops around my block so theft isn't really a problem here. I have even had some cops stop by and comment on my garage because of the flashing lights. Anyways, back on topic, Would I be able to help calling lawyers involved in this matter even though I am not in the states listed in the lawsuit?
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Talking

I guess I should that I also have a security system then too. I even covered all the windows at eye level with snow like spray or signs, unless the windows are facing my house. I haven't had any robbery's before, so I don't see it being a problem. Not to mention I can see our Police Department from our second story windows. There's always cops around my block so theft isn't really a problem here. I have even had some cops stop by and comment on my garage because of the flashing lights. Anyways, back on topic, Would I be able to help calling lawyers involved in this matter even though I am not in the states listed in the lawsuit?
Don't forget to mention your Rescue Panther...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Don't forget to mention your Rescue Panther...
Im* lost with that comment

Also, Just got off the phone with Neil Goro, and hoping to help out further incidents of this in Illinois.

Last edited by 03'55AMG; 07-24-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
It may be a good idea for those intimately involved to not post a play-by-play of what's happening between them and the attorney(s) that's heading up the suit.

I'd think general updates are ok, but it's not helping anyone if details get leaked here or any other public domain. Not singling anyone out, just a thought....
Old 07-24-2012, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Great idea. Question, has ANY body here had work performed that actually solved the problem? curious to see just how bad it is
Old 07-24-2012, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
'06 E55
I'm having the gas smell, too. Damn!
Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 PM

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Great idea. Question, has ANY body here had work performed that actually solved the problem? curious to see just how bad it is
New fuel sending unit, fuel pump, and 2 new gaskets have mine fixed for now. I don't see any issues that would arise out of the tank. Now that these faulty parts have been replaced, I should be good for another 6 years or so.

I still fail to see what the hell they performed during the 2008 recall. Hoping Mercedes has to pay for this mistake dearly.

Also, Mercedes claim that fuel can't enter the passenger compartment is complete BS. That was the main reason I kept driving my car even while smelling gas, thinking that it can't get to the passenger area.
Low and behold when I removed the rear seat the foam underneath including insulation was soaked in gas. My leak was so bad that gas was coming past those access covers.

Last edited by abhatti55; 07-24-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
From what I have seen/heard, there were more than a few ways Mercedes carried out the recall. Some got new gaskets, others fuel senders. Abhatti55, even when you fill up all the way there is no smell, or gas under the cap in the back seat?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: URGENT: NHTSA Opens investigation into fuel leaks on the E55.