Rattle Noise When In Gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Rattle Noise When In Gear

I need some help. I noticed today likely because my windows were down a rattle noise that kind of sounds like a heat shield that's loose. Well once I got home and started looking for the noise when the car wasn't in gear and I rev'd the motor some I didn't really hear it. So I put the car in gear and slowly rev'd the motor up. Right at 800rpm or so there is a loud rattle in both reverse and drive. Once you increase RPM is seems to go away or its lower in volume and the motor drowns it out.

http://youtu.be/BwuPOWJoEkQ

Think is to a short video showing the nature of the sound. Video makes it seem as loud as a saw but it isn't that loud but is noticeable with windows down. Sounds also like some screws in a coffee can. I hope someone can help me out, I really don't like having a nice card that sounds cheap with a rattle. Who can be cool with a loud rattle??

Thanks
H
Old 03-11-2012, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
bump....still haven't figured it out.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55
Originally Posted by black06c230
I need some help. I noticed today likely because my windows were down a rattle noise that kind of sounds like a heat shield that's loose. Well once I got home and started looking for the noise when the car wasn't in gear and I rev'd the motor some I didn't really hear it. So I put the car in gear and slowly rev'd the motor up. Right at 800rpm or so there is a loud rattle in both reverse and drive. Once you increase RPM is seems to go away or its lower in volume and the motor drowns it out.

http://youtu.be/BwuPOWJoEkQ

Think is to a short video showing the nature of the sound. Video makes it seem as loud as a saw but it isn't that loud but is noticeable with windows down. Sounds also like some screws in a coffee can. I hope someone can help me out, I really don't like having a nice card that sounds cheap with a rattle. Who can be cool with a loud rattle??

Thanks
H
Sounds like a heatshield rattling. Have someone stand beside the car with the hood open while you reproduce it and help you locate the general area where its coming from, then get under there and make sure everything is kosher and nothing is touching/loose.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Defintely a heat shield. Mine was doing that at low RPM around 1000 rpm when cold. It took me forever to find, but eventually I traced it to the section of heat shield right in the middle of the car above the driveshaft. Everything looked and felt tight, even when banging on it with my fist, but where the two pieces of heat shield met it was vibrating just right. It took me going under the car on four separate occasions to find the source. Now it's quiet as can be.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Sounds like a heat shield type noise to me as well. Let us know what you find. Good luck.

Aaron