W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this noise a bad front strut? (video inside)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
Is this noise a bad front strut? (video inside)

Finally got around to poking around the car a lil more and looking for the strange noise I have been hearing. It appears that it is coming from the front passenger tire area as I suspected. The sound seems to be coming from the strut itself from what I I'm guessing for now as right around the top where it is bolted to the chassis with the 3 nuts, but I was alone and trying to shake the car up and down while listening so I couldn't get right on top of it to isolate the location of the sound perfectly. Do these struts make a noise like this when they are going bad? Or should I get someone to shake the car while I look over the bushings? I did not see any movement of the strut itself and it appears securely bolted down.

I do not believe this is the rack and pinion mount/bushing issue as it's not heard when turning but only over bumps and dips in the road etc.

I also feel the sway bar links felt a lil soft. I get a longer screwdriver in there by the sway bar connection and it was fairly easy to move the link around like the rubber was kinda soft. I may be looking to replace those for good measure as well as I see they are somewhat common on these as like with a number of other cars.

Here's the video of the sound I'm hearing.

Last edited by BBBSS; 03-16-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Best thing is to get it on a lift and look at the bushings and ball joints. When my struts went it was without any noise just BAM cars too low warning. I've replaced both front with Arnott remans but back left is going slowly so coilovers should be going in late next week