W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of changing back from the 2.82 diff.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Thinking of changing back from the 2.82 diff.

Well, I dunno car doing strange things triggering ESP and wondering if the 2.82 and TCU are not in harmony still and now thinking of going back to a 2.65....

I got the Quaife on the rear as well... anyone experience ESP issues running a Quaife (i.e. triggering when you would not expect it?).

Who is the master of TCU files for 2.82 diffs at mom? Mbe trying a new file is easier than swapping diffs!!!! I had a nightmare getting my 06's TCU sorted getting around anti theft issues, wheel speed errors etc etc ...

I really dont want to be shipping the TCU back and forth again!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Where does the E55 read it's vehicle speed? On my Ex-Infiniti G35 it read it off the rear axle and the vehicle would care less if you had a 3.3 or a 4.0...that was about the only cool thing about the VQ drivetrain...lol.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Where does the E55 read it's vehicle speed? On my Ex-Infiniti G35 it read it off the rear axle and the vehicle would care less if you had a 3.3 or a 4.0...that was about the only cool thing about the VQ drivetrain...lol.
I heard that the speed sensor is on the front wheels
Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The front wheel is for the speedo, but its more complicated than that... the rear wheels each have a speed sensor for traction control, so if u just swapped diffs out you get a "implausible wheel speed" code or something and car goes into limp mode.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by stevebez
Well, I dunno car doing strange things triggering ESP and wondering if the 2.82 and TCU are not in harmony still and now thinking of going back to a 2.65....

I got the Quaife on the rear as well... anyone experience ESP issues running a Quaife (i.e. triggering when you would not expect it?).

I'm running a Quaife diff without any ESP issues. That said, I've always assumed that ratio of the Quaife is identical to stock so not sure if my set up is the same as yours.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Wish it wasn't a massive process. I would swap mine as well. Just too much labor involved and I am in no rush right now. Guess it just didn't pan out like I dreamed it would and for the life of me, don't know why. Thought SL rear, with SL TCU would give me some nice times in the 1/4 like URNext. Just didn't.

Get in touch with Jerry at EC. He is the TCU master at this point.

PM Loungn14 and give it one last try before ditching it.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
I've been tossing around the idea of going very radical (3.55-3.90) but I'm afraid it will all be a waste if the tcu dosent want to work with it
Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well the next step would be a 3.06 , and from what I hear no one has got it right. The TCU / ESP workaround is just too nuts... if only you could plug in an SL or DTM TCU module and off you go but its not so simple unfortunately an E's software coding is ddifferent to an SL etc etc ... then you got the different processors used in different year model TCU's whcih require diff software etc so its all a massive can of friggin worms.

Dont get me wrong in normal driving the car is fine and perhaps the issue relates to something else but on Saturday I just got the impression the car is too marginal on the ESP /wheel sensors, mbe its as simple as a faulty wheel sensor ...

The other thing was it did not feel like the TCU/ESP was tripping the car up it felt more like a fuel starve / engine cut out than TCU (def no triangle), further complicating things.

Mbe its a dodgy steering angle sensor I have had to do a fix on this in the past.....and mbe its a bit marginal on a bumpy track.

Anyhow Ill trouble shoot all the past things and check the rear end over ... car needs some work to tidy some of the bits up.

So for now Ill leave it place... save my knuckles for a few more weeks!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
So if you did not go into limp mode then the gear ratio is not the problem. The traction system looks at the wheel speed sensors and steering angle and a few other inputs and determines wheel slip. Triangle comes on and reduced out put and braking and the works.
The tcu compares internal speed sensors with rear wheel speed to determine actual gear ratio. There is no output shaft speed sensor in the transmission. This is why the diff ratio is important. If you change the diff ratio without programming then the tcu will think that the transmission is slipping. It will go into limp mode. Last known good gear and stay there until the key is cycled. Normally the check engine light would also come on.
Sounds like you have a different problem to me.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Whipplem104... Honestly I think you are right ... it did felt more like a fuel starvation issue.. but tank was half full... ?

I did not have the Aquamist on at all I cant get it to run without it trigering a misfire code... but mbe the wiring for this is rubbing something the wrong way...

Ill have a good look at tank and pump mbe something not good down there. Even if tank has baffles we were on hard right for mbe 3-4 seconds before we straightened out and then I got the issue.... first run was no probs at all. Second no traction issue just some heat soak, and from 3rd run onwards I picked up this problem.

What do you guys do with the secondary 02 sensors on Kleemann headers ... just tie them up - coz was told they needed to be plugged in even if they are inactive?

I'll have another look at the steering angle sensor ... which I "repaired" ... sounds like a good place to start.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Old thread, but are you guys still running your 2.82? I just today finished installing my 2.82 SL55 diff with wavetrac, it was a lot of work for sure. TCU is inbound from EC and should be on the road next week. I am also running custom wheels with SL55 tires sizes FWIW. I was able to get an S55 TCU programmed to work on my E55 through the dealer network, originally car would not crank with the S55 TCU, but after having it SCN coded all was good. Wondering if I pick up an SL55 TCU and also have it SCN coded, if it will retain the 2.82 gear programming or, more likely I suspect it would reprogram to my 2.65. Although if my TCU from EC works good I won't need to worry about it.

UPDATE:

For anyone in the future researching this thread, my 2.82 swap is working fine with my Eurocharged TCU tune and the 2.82 calibration they did. However, I think I found the reason for the OP's concern. I was having intermittent ESP warnings flash usually in turns; but no activation of the ESP. I found in the engine control unit there is coding for the gear ratio. I was able to change the coding using Star Developer mode, as well as the coding for the tire size also stored in the engine ECU. NOw my speedometer is accurate again and no ESP problems. When doing a gear swap the engine ECU needs to be coded to match.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 02-23-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 AMG Estate
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey
Old thread, but are you guys still running your 2.82? I just today finished installing my 2.82 SL55 diff with wavetrac, it was a lot of work for sure. TCU is inbound from EC and should be on the road next week. I am also running custom wheels with SL55 tires sizes FWIW. I was able to get an S55 TCU programmed to work on my E55 through the dealer network, originally car would not crank with the S55 TCU, but after having it SCN coded all was good. Wondering if I pick up an SL55 TCU and also have it SCN coded, if it will retain the 2.82 gear programming or, more likely I suspect it would reprogram to my 2.65. Although if my TCU from EC works good I won't need to worry about it.

UPDATE:

For anyone in the future researching this thread, my 2.82 swap is working fine with my Eurocharged TCU tune and the 2.82 calibration they did. However, I think I found the reason for the OP's concern. I was having intermittent ESP warnings flash usually in turns; but no activation of the ESP. I found in the engine control unit there is coding for the gear ratio. I was able to change the coding using Star Developer mode, as well as the coding for the tire size also stored in the engine ECU. NOw my speedometer is accurate again and no ESP problems. When doing a gear swap the engine ECU needs to be coded to match.
This is great info, do you remember where in STAR Dev mode this was, I am having the same issue and want to try this!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 290 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
I searched for a long time Vic and could not find it. I even had a screen shot sent to me and still couldn't see it. Mabe someone will chime in.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,483 Likes on 983 Posts
This place is a joke.
Just came across this thread again, the settings are in the same place where you can disable the rear o2 sensors or the air pump in developer mode. Scroll down you'll find the gear ratios of 2.65 to 3.06 and more. Remember the coding must be performed with the engine running. I just changed mine to a ratio I found of 2.86 I believe. I am running slightly shorter tires than stock so wanted to give it a try. Car seems to be running and shifting better than ever- I have yet to have the full throttle cutoff/hesitation between the 1-2 shift....but too soon to tell for sure if I need to re-program to the 2.82 setting as the ESP was kicking in a bit today at full power- but car was running strong so I think the tires were in fact slipping.

On another note I had to make several tries to code anything in dev mode. Sometimes, I got a communication error, sometimes it would say "at least one coding is invalid" and show all dashes -------- in the coding options. You have to back out of the engine ECU and go back in- keep trying.

I'm not crazy about the 2.82 at highway speeds, our fifth gear overdrive is a bit steep, my shorter tires 295/30/18 at around 80mph rpms are close to 3,000 and makes me think about going back to the 2.65...but it's a lot of work again. The car to me feels like it needs a 6th gear.

Last edited by E55Greasemonkey; 05-02-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
2.82 tcu

Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey

UPDATE:

Hey plz give me a call at 6462250740 might be able to make a deal with you for 2.82 flashed tcu if still available thanks