W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

simple fix on steering angle sensor (sas)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 amg w211
Talking simple fix on steering angle sensor (sas)

I had the message"esp defective cornering lights unavailable"

Got the diagnose from you guys ,it is the sas

So step1
Take off the airbag ,loosen the 2 hex screws at the back
Step 2
Loosen the 2 airbag plugs green&yellow,lift the yellow plug locks on them to take them off with a small flat driver
Step 3
Get a xstra hand to hold the steering wheel while you loosen the 10 mm allen bolt , just make sure not to put strain on the steering lock while loosening
Step 4
Have a close look at the exact posision of the steering on the splines before removing or better just mark it with tipex
Step 5
Admire benz quality,undo the 3 small hex screws
Step 6
undo the 1 hex bolt at the bottom of the steering coloum
Step7
pull the coloum off gently
Step8
Behind the the translusent wire box is the sensor, read carefully on the cover what to do when instaling
Step9
Right,undo the small ring on the cover then undo the small clips on the sides of the sensor , open up and there she is!!
Step10
You wil notice a black disc,carefully take it of and clean it with a ear bud and some spirits until the lines on the disc are clear,then put back and close
Step 11
Make sure you do as it says on the cover when installing it

email me for any details at eric.amg55@gmail.com

PS: enjoy the beast
Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 AM

2007 E63 AMG (Dubai), 2009 BMW X5 4.8i Sport (PA)
Nice! By chance did you happen to take any pics?

The addition of some pics would make this a really good DIY for the community.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 AM

2007 cls63 AMG
I tried doing this fix to my cls. I got to a stage where i see a transparent cover that is over the clock spring and it has a lot of yellow die electric grease in it. Are you talking about cleaning up the grease or go further into the assembly ? pictures would have really helped
I could not seperate the weird looking electrical connector that connects the clock spring to the sensor i believe.
reading the instructions, i dont believe i saw another torx screw, that allows me to take the entire assembly off as one. Any tips before i retry ?
Old 06-25-2012, 04:01 PM

e55 amg w211
Hi there

just check underneath the plastic colom pipe like shape is a hole the torx screw is locatet inside ,take your phone torch and check what size it is

And then if its loose it wount fall out the
srew

now gently pull on it
Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 PM

04 E55
angle sensor?? does that have anything to do with electric column adjustment? mine goes in and out but wont go up and down...
Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Obsidian Black E55
Originally Posted by thumper823
angle sensor?? does that have anything to do with electric column adjustment? mine goes in and out but wont go up and down...

No does not relate to this. Steering angle sensor has more to do with ABS/ESP.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:42 PM

2007 cls63 AMG
Originally Posted by ericvermeulen
Hi there

just check underneath the plastic colom pipe like shape is a hole the torx screw is locatet inside ,take your phone torch and check what size it is

And then if its loose it wount fall out the
srew

now gently pull on it
Ok so i finally got a chance to do this again, i got to the point where steering wheel is off, i can see the clock spring, i undid the 3 hex screws holding the clock spring. I undid the big torx at athe bottom of the plastic tube. The screw does not come out of the plastic piece.
Now do i seperate the clock spring from the Steering angle sensor or pull on the whole thing ? nothing seems to be moving..
When you say pull gently, what exactly am i pulling on? Nothing seems to be moving after loosening the big bottom torx.
I should maybe say that inorder not to damage my steering lock, before i disconnected the battery, i left the key in the ignition. This way when i loosen my steering wheel nut, there is no force acting against the steering lock. But maybe not having that lock on is preventing me from pulling it out ?

Any help would be appreciated, this is so frustrating !!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:24 PM

Mercedes c class w203
I ran into the same problem today in my attempt to replace this sensor in my 2006 E500. The the clock spring and the steering angle sensor came apart quite easy, but the the clock spring would not come completely out because a portion of it still is extended behind the SAS. The top left portion of the SAS is mobile, but the bottom right (passenger) side of the SAS is not. I have removed the larger T30 hex from below the column, but to no avail. Any help or adivice would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be awesome but beggers can't be choosers!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM

2007 E350
I'm having the same issue. I can't pull the SAS out as it seems to still be plugged in to something or is hung up. Any help!?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:57 PM

2007 E350
This is for my 2007 E class

Step1 - Take off the airbag (loosen the 2 hex screws at the back of the steering wheel)

Step 2 - Loosen the 2 airbag plugs green & yellow by lifting the yellow plug locks on them - you can use a small flat driver

Step 3 - Get a helper to hold the steering wheel while you loosen the 10 mm allen bolt , dont strain the steering lock while loosening

Step 4 - Have a close look at the exact posision of the steering on the splines before removing or better just mark it

Step 5 - Undo the 3 small hex screws holing the SAS onto the column assembly

Step 6 - Undo the 1 hex bolt at the bottom of the steering coloum (faces the floor)

Step 7 - you need to pull off the entire column assembly. (Grab the column and tug gently)

Step 8 - Look at the oposite side of the entire assembly (end that faces the firewall) and remove the two Hex screws .

Step 9 - the SAS needs to actually twist off of the column assembly (if you look at th new part it makes sense)

remove, replace and reassemble.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM

E350 2003
Raj

Von- I finished up to step 6. Instep 7 entire assembly means whole thing with all sticks? It does not move at all. If you mean inner portion( SAS and a part above it), if I pull them out will it not break any wire connection? Where I will find two hex screw? Can you posy photo/video? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 PM

2006 E55
Thumbs up

Glad I found this thread! My car was displaying ESP malfunction. My MD802 scan tool showed steering wheel angle sensor.

It's very easy to get out in hind sight but its not obvious when you start, the whole column slides off once the bottom screw is loosened. Mine took a solid tug to remove.

There was a layer of grime on the disc. Its interesting it was only where the IR path was on the disc almost like heat and IR cause it, but anyway... I cleaned the optical disc with alcohol and a eye glass cloth. All back together, no more malfunction!

Saved me $178 purchasing sensor. Gracias
Old 07-13-2013, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Good info.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 PM

CLS 63 AMG
Steering Angle sensor

Originally Posted by ericvermeulen
I had the message"esp defective cornering lights unavailable"

Got the diagnose from you guys ,it is the sas

So step1
Take off the airbag ,loosen the 2 hex screws at the back
Step 2
Loosen the 2 airbag plugs green&yellow,lift the yellow plug locks on them to take them off with a small flat driver
Step 3
Get a xstra hand to hold the steering wheel while you loosen the 10 mm allen bolt , just make sure not to put strain on the steering lock while loosening
Step 4
Have a close look at the exact posision of the steering on the splines before removing or better just mark it with tipex
Step 5
Admire benz quality,undo the 3 small hex screws
Step 6
undo the 1 hex bolt at the bottom of the steering coloum
Step7
pull the coloum off gently
Step8
Behind the the translusent wire box is the sensor, read carefully on the cover what to do when instaling
Step9
Right,undo the small ring on the cover then undo the small clips on the sides of the sensor , open up and there she is!!
Step10
You wil notice a black disc,carefully take it of and clean it with a ear bud and some spirits until the lines on the disc are clear,then put back and close
Step 11
Make sure you do as it says on the cover when installing it

email me for any details at eric.amg55@gmail.com

PS: enjoy the beast

A big thanks to Eric!!!

I recently experienced the "ESP inoperative...see owners manual" warning message and a stiff ride. It would come and go when driving. Replaced my sensor for about $175...purchased from ECU tuning. My column needed a little bit of a tug to remove once the lower torx screw was loosened. The screw clamps the column to the steering shaft tube. Eric really gave me some insight for the final removal and replacement. It took about 5 min to replace the sensor once the column is out of the car. Thanks again Eric!!!
Attached Thumbnails simple fix on steering angle sensor (sas)-2013-07-15_20-19-04_434.jpg  

Last edited by Maxumized; 07-17-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add attachements
Old 07-17-2013, 03:32 PM

CLS 63 AMG
Steering angle sensor

More pics of previous post.
Attached Thumbnails simple fix on steering angle sensor (sas)-2013-07-15_20-19-13_954.jpg   simple fix on steering angle sensor (sas)-2013-07-15_20-19-32_154.jpg   simple fix on steering angle sensor (sas)-2013-07-15_20-29-02_988.jpg  

Last edited by Maxumized; 07-17-2013 at 04:04 PM. Reason: attachements
Old 07-17-2013, 04:05 PM

CLS 63 AMG

Last edited by Maxumized; 07-17-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 10-11-2013, 09:34 PM

can somebody tell me what is the button with a sprig for and the device with a clear plastc cover how should it be turned and how far?
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 PM

CLS 63 AMG
The button is a spring lock I believe that keeps the clear, plastic "clock-spring" from rotating out of syc with steering module.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 PM

Eric i read and read the instruction on the cover and don't get it . where to start and where to finish to line up what with what to start and then turn ccw until it stops and the 2 turn approx cw. and you are not saying that the disk should be all clear it looks like a information or data disk with some black lines in it. do you have picture(detail) as how everything should be lined up?
thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 10:29 PM

thanks maxu.... i realy messed up this steering column i have everything back together but don't think i have them right. inside that thing is a ribbon when i took the steering off it flew open and everything unwind i put it back but don't know if i have it in there right well it is right but don't know how i should wind it also the other disk as eric says to follow direction but can't figure it out.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 PM

CLS 63 AMG
Don't worry...they both turn about 4 turns from stop to stop. Just turn them CCW to the stop position and turn them about 2 times to center position. You have to do this on the steering angle sensor first and align the mark. Next, just place the clock spring over once you rotated it to its center position from the stop position.
The following users liked this post:
Youngd (06-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2013, 11:15 PM

thank you maxu....
Old 07-10-2014, 01:27 AM

2008 E550
Thanks very much for posting this info. I just cleaned my SAS and that sure fixed the ESP issue. To remove the airbag on my 2008 E550, I simply lifted the orange tabs on both yellow and green connectors and pull the connectors straight up. I did remove the negative battery cable for safety, it only took a minute and didn't erase my saved radio stations.

I used T30 bit for the 2 torx screws on the backside of the steering wheel. Not sure if the factory changed the hardware on us in 2008. You might want to try T30 before going out to buy a T27 bit. Also the disk on my SAS wasn't dirty at all, so I thought cleaning it wouldn't make a difference. I am glad I tried this and it turned out well.

Before cleaning my SAS, I replaced the brake light switch as an experiment. It was only $25 and took me only 10 mins. Probably something I will end up doing soon anyway.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
W164 320 cdi MY 08
need heap. i have to change sas part number A 171 545 12 32. do i need this exact number or is there a new sas with a different part number?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W211 E350
Here is a GREAT video on how to get to the SAS.

I removed the SAS, cleaned it with qtip and alcohol. Put everything back together (mostly) , test drove, no error. Got home and while putting tools away realized the 2 little screws that hold the SAS to the rest of the column body were in my possession ($^%%$&^*&^*#*&)
So I unassemble everything again put the screws in, reassemble and the error came back..
I might need to just recalibrate the sensor by turning the wheel to each end then back to center. Hopefully that works.
Granted, I did this not knowing if the SAS is even the cause of the ESP inoperative fault, but it was worth a try.

Just a note on cleaning the disc.
When you open the SAS to get to the disc, a few pieces may fall out including the disc, a white plastic guide and a three pronged ring.
The white guide goes in it's obvious place. The Disc has groves which the guide slides in. When replacing the disc, put the guide in any of the grooves with the grooves of the disc facing down over the guide. Snap the case back together. Looking at the little white arrow, spin the disc clockwise until it stops. There is an etched arrow on the 3 pronged ring. With the prongs facing down they should align with the other plastic prongs from the disc and the etched arrow should sit about 1cm to the right of the white arrow. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Erythros; 06-04-2017 at 11:39 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: simple fix on steering angle sensor (sas)