***Booyah, another 195mm Redtooth Racing Pulley falls off***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
the 4th pulley is a shop in the middle east, one of EC customers and Jerry or Jake can verify that for you. MB wants close to $4600 for the crank only. The remaining parts bring it up to around $7k and it is roughly $5400 in labor. That puts you at $12.4k.....

Hey Denroll, if I was you, I would mount a security camera under my hood closed circut to my nav screen to watch that thing 24hrs a day while I was driving!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
I don't know about everyone else, but daddy does not pay for my way, nor do I have a money tree in the backyard, I am a hard working man. When the owner says, sorry I know you don't like me, I wish I could help but I can't. That does not sit well with me, it is f*****g disgusting, I had no other option but to involve legal.
I know Steve has too, and I hope Frank joins suite to. This has got to stop, and the product must be pulled. If you are man enough to put out a bad product, collect cash for 50 pulleys sold which is $54k, be man enough to accept failure, recall the garbage, and settle for the damages incurred.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
the 4th pulley is a shop in the middle east, one of EC customers and Jerry or Jake can verify that for you. MB wants close to $4600 for the crank only. The remaining parts bring it up to around $7k and it is roughly $5000, that puts you at $12k.....Don't know about you, but a simple refund on the pulley is not going to cut it this bro!
Come on man, those prices are nuts. Someone who charges $5K to do a crank shaft swap should be shot. I will personally fly over to anyone's house and do the swap for half that amount...lol. Seriously though, it shouldn't cost you more than $2,000 or so in labor. You can also get a new crank shaft for $3200, which is still hella expensive but $1,400 less than your quote.

But yes, I agree a refund won't do much.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by slownrusty
Time to lawyer up boys.
Yup...it really has gotten to this point.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63 AMG (Dubai), 2009 BMW X5 4.8i Sport (PA)
The "I am UDP" thread pretty much confirmed that UDP was involved in the development of the RTR pulley. There is no doubt either about who owns UDP. It would be interesting to find out who else funded the development of the RTR pulley. According to that thread, it was some anonymous person.

If this isn't enough to get the entire MBWorld community behind chawkins and rocket, then what will it take? 100 RTR pulleys falling off?

Both these guys would stand up for anyone else on here in this type of situation. It is BS that their integrity was ever questioned.

It would be interesting to hear what EC has to say about these pulleys now that they have witnessed one brick an engine. I would trust EC to provide a fair assessment and I doubt it is going to be positive. Jerry is a straight shooter.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
I have an EXACT parts list and labor quote for everything needed from the largest KLEEMAN dealer in the country. It was a 3rd party quote and is four pages long, they have no interest in this fight bro, we are not talking about a Honda here. They would warranty there work, and we all know when you dig into a motor that cost this much, you want the dealer to stand behind their work. It is itemized down to every single item needed, and it is not just the crank, there are a lot of smaller items that need to he replaced.

Steve's independent shop in VA was not that far of either. Labor down here is $125/HR homey, this is not a backyard hoopty.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 AM

2007 E63 AMG (Dubai), 2009 BMW X5 4.8i Sport (PA)
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Come on man, those prices are nuts. Someone who charges $5K to do a crank shaft swap should be shot. I will personally fly over to anyone's house and do the swap for half that amount...lol. Seriously though, it shouldn't cost you more than $2,000 or so in labor. You can also get a new crank shaft for $3200, which is still hella expensive but $1,400 less than your quote.

But yes, I agree a refund won't do much.
If that car is hear in Dubai, which I think it might be, and it is at the dealer, that price is probably accurate. The dealers over here at least double the U.S. dealer service prices.

I saw a brand new CLS350 in the showroom last week. It was fully loaded and had an AMG appearance package. It was $140,000 U.S. dollars!! It wasn't even a 550! That is insane.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jayjmuir
If that car is hear in Dubai, which I think it might be, and it is at the dealer, that price is probably accurate. The dealers over here at least double the U.S. dealer service prices.

I saw a brand new CLS350 in the showroom last week. It was fully loaded and had an AMG appearance package. It was $140,000 U.S. dollars!! It wasn't even a 550! That is insane.
Oh, I must have misunderstood....sorry.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Smart tuner huh Jack?

Pushing the horsepower envelope requires deep pockets....and a strong stomach.

Even "proven" parts will fail when subjected to never-before-seen power levels... As you add unproven parts to the mix, the risk of massive failure goes up exponentially.

Maybe its true that a welded 195mm ASP pulley would survive perfectly on a 650HP motor(?)... but every part has a structural limit. At some power level, even the ASP will eventually fail.

-G
Old 05-07-2012, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Well my crankshaft was sent off Saturday I believe to see if it's even possible to repair. The absolute cheapest I've found a crankshaft with shipping is just over $3600. Then add in bearings,then add in the associated parts that must be replaced like seals,main bearings,rod bearings,key way,gears, new pulley,belts,oil,oil filter,antifreeze,gaskets and there's several things I've left off I'm sure. Now you see why the price is so high. This dosent include any labor cost at all. Labor to replace a crankshaft in these engines is over 20hrs FYI.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:27 AM
hbr

'05 E55 on ADV1s
Originally Posted by slownrusty
Time to lawyer up boys.
I understand this may seem like a great idea and your only avenue now, but in 3 years you'll wish you would have saved your money.

I think some good dudes on this board got hosed but it's pretty easy to be judgement proof. FWIW...... I had $150K real cash in a $500K judgement. 4 years and haven't seen a dime. Don't forget if the defendant files a counter claim, which they will, they would have to agree to walk away.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
It is 36 hours, and my mistake, I looked at my parts list, the crank is $4036. 36hrs x $125/HR is the labor charge.

This list was built using staronline, coupled with labor to install the parts shopping list. Parts alone come in at $7035.00
Old 05-07-2012, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
How much is a used replacement long block?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
How much is a used replacement long block?
Can be had on flea bay for 8-10k depending on mileage etc. Mb does not quote a short block (rotating assembly) for the amgs because of the nature of the motor and being hand built. At least those are the answer's I have heard from MB parts. they only quote the parts.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
The problem with the long block is you also don't know what your really getting. You buy a motor with mileage that you just have to trust. Then compression is unknown or you have to trust what the seller says. I've gone thru that on much cheaper engines in the past.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Yep, I hear ya. Just thought if you could get a low mileage long block out of a wreck for about 5 grand, might be worth it....
Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
....has EC said anything as an open statement yet...

I mean they sold this part and if you bought it through them, then well....you deal with them, so whats the deal?

secondly on what bases does a vendor agree to sell parts to their customers with out insuring quality, reliability and at least actually test it properly?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
I'm someone who had a pulley fail before, back in my C55 days. I was extremely lucky to have an MB dealer spot it during a service trip. They had to file down the the wooduff key. It cost me a $700, but I was happy to pay that versus having to take the whole crank out just to replace the wooduff key. I felt like I dodged a huge bullet. However sitting in limbo, not knowing if you are going to get good news or bad news is suck an uneasy feeling. I was so lucky I got good news.

Ever since then I've been extremely worried about crank pulleys. For 1 bolt on pulleys are the scariest in my book. Meaning the ones that are held on by 6 or so bolts. I now run an ASP 180mm (welded) pulley thats been trouble free for me for a while.
Chawkins2001 is right. You don't even want to know how much an MB crank is going to cost. Then the R&R labor. I'd rather be kicking in the junk and punched really hard in the face. In fact, it very much might be worth sourcing out a used engine instead.

If you guys can't get a refund (totally sucks), for those yet to install. Eating the cost of the pulley would probably end up saving you thousands.

I've been approached many of times from machine shops in my ares about developing a crank pulley. Each time I've said no. The test phase on a pulley should at least be 1 year track and road use IMO.

Fact is, there are shops that have good products and put sound R&D into things. Then there are products that get rushed to market. The best thing you can do is be a smart shopper.

In anything I buy, from cars, guitars, to TV's. I'm always following 3 simple steps before making a purchase of any kind. I call it the "3 R's" "Read, Research, & Review" I can be OCD about it too. Sitting on the 10th page of google trying to find out stuff.

I wish the best for everyone involved
Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
I skipped a lot of banter...

To all parties involved: Sorry for your misfortunes.

To Chawkins: You seem to switch bandwagons quicker than a front running sports fan. Yes I know a pulley fell off your car, but mere weeks ago this product was "the best". And all of you were moving over to that other forum cause that's how quick you joined their bandwagon.

Emoving: Nothing you says is credible, you are pretty much spineless when it comes to advice/comments on here. I believe your location a week ago was "PSC", now that place is garbage? You are the definition of a turncoat.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by jayjmuir

I believe some countries has very high Import tax. In Asia, some countries Mercedes are double price compare to USA because of Tax.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by emoving

Hey Denroll, if I was you, I would mount a security camera under my hood closed circut to my nav screen to watch that thing 24hrs a day while I was driving!
If I am not wrong, he runs 185RTR since last week and track for few times.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
I'm someone who had a pulley fail before, back in my C55 days. I was extremely lucky to have an MB dealer spot it during a service trip. They had to file down the the wooduff key. It cost me a $700, but I was happy to pay that versus having to take the whole crank out just to replace the wooduff key. I felt like I dodged a huge bullet. However sitting in limbo, not knowing if you are going to get good news or bad news is suck an uneasy feeling. I was so lucky I got good news.

Ever since then I've been extremely worried about crank pulleys. For 1 bolt on pulleys are the scariest in my book. Meaning the ones that are held on by 6 or so bolts. I now run an ASP 180mm (welded) pulley thats been trouble free for me for a while.
Chawkins2001 is right. You don't even want to know how much an MB crank is going to cost. Then the R&R labor. I'd rather be kicking in the junk and punched really hard in the face. In fact, it very much might be worth sourcing out a used engine instead.

If you guys can't get a refund (totally sucks), for those yet to install. Eating the cost of the pulley would probably end up saving you thousands.

I've been approached many of times from machine shops in my ares about developing a crank pulley. Each time I've said no. The test phase on a pulley should at least be 1 year track and road use IMO.

Fact is, there are shops that have good products and put sound R&D into things. Then there are products that get rushed to market. The best thing you can do is be a smart shopper.

In anything I buy, from cars, guitars, to TV's. I'm always following 3 simple steps before making a purchase of any kind. I call it the "3 R's" "Read, Research, & Review" I can be OCD about it too. Sitting on the 10th page of google trying to find out stuff.

I wish the best for everyone involved
VERY well put!
Old 05-07-2012, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Why are the Texas boys so quiet now? Ive seen several of them looking on here but no comments about how its Install error or them defending Brooke or sharul. I bet shardul is at ASP right now buying a pulley to replace his red tooth racing paper weight.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
What is the price difference between ASP and RTR pulleys than? I thought they were around the same price....Basically why get RTR over ASP is my question now....
Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Smart tuner huh Jack?
That's for sure!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ***Booyah, another 195mm Redtooth Racing Pulley falls off***