Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do..!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you do..!!

In short, should I be responsible for the trial and errors of the dealership and the indy shop guys?

Long story, Had a couple of issues with the car. First, sunroof kept getting reset every day. Second, the infamous gas smell. So end of last year, I take my car to the supposedly reputable indy shop guys. They replaced the fuel pumps and the sunroof motor. Also scratched and bent one of my rims after keeping the car for a few days, but obviously wont agree to it....

OK. Gas smell gone (at least for the time being), sunroof problem came back a few days later. Call the indy shop and the guy says well, we can try replacing another part (cant remember it was the switch or whatever). Being busy and traveling in/out of the country, I didn't take the car back and also did not feel like paying for the same problem twice so I put the issue on the back burner for a bit.

A few months pass by. I get tired of the sunroof issue and then one of my doors wouldn't latch. Figure I'll take the car to the dealership and get both issues taken care of. Well, door gets fixed. They try to fix the sunroof and the problem goes away for a few days. I call the dealership back and of course their response is to "lets try and take the headliner apart and replace everything in there"...which means paying for the same problem AGAIN....

Now, a few weeks have passed by and the gas smell is back and I am still stuck with a non-functioning sunroof. Now, thank God, I do have warranty on the car, but after the deductible, taxes and shop supplies, each visit costs me about $500.00.

Kind of getting tired of paying for the same issues again and again. Obviously, if you keep replacing parts, the problem WILL go away SOMEDAY. However, should I be responsible for the shops' trial and error and "oh, lets try replacing X and Y this time...!!!!!

Has any of you experienced a similar situation? I would appreciate the advice.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
take some of that gas and burn their damm shop down
Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 562 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Not all mechanics are created the same. Neither are all indies. The onlly indie I would let TOUCH my car was RS Worx in Washington, NJ and now I'm a million miles away from them. Find another stealership to work with, talk with the SA's, get an idea for how many master techs they have on staff and if they've ever dealt with that problem. Otherwise it's guesswork.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
It depends. ALL mechanics will eventually stumble into situations where trial and error seems to be the only way to fix something. If the mechanic is constantly doing this though then you need a new one.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Gallado Spyder / AMG C63S / Cayenne
had a 06 clk350 ... at WOT theres a little gas smell... can never figure out whats broken. traded for a e55 ...
Old 05-12-2012, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
If you take your car in for a problem, they supposedly fix it, you pay the ticket and leave with it rearing its ugly head again, they should WARRANTY their work, and it should be covered free of charge, bottom line. Try the nice approach, if that does not work, raise a stink.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
If you take your car in for a problem, they supposedly fix it, you pay the ticket and leave with it rearing its ugly head again, they should WARRANTY their work, and it should be covered free of charge, bottom line. Try the nice approach, if that does not work, raise a stink.
While they should warranty the labor, I have never seen a shop that will not charge you for extra parts used to fix the problem.