do-it-yourself lowering?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
211E55, CLK55(sold), LX470, LS430
do-it-yourself lowering?

Any thoughts on the recent discussions regarding lowering the car
by yourself? Washers on the front-left & right; and notching two holes of the sensor brackets at the rear.

Does anyone know if this will affect the alignment? Or would need to install camber kit?

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:01 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 E55
where in Norcal are you fiftyfive???
Old 07-07-2003, 07:41 PM

richard,

castro valley.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 E55
Fiftfive,my office is in Hayward, would love to meet and maybe get a ride b4 I order my 04.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Personally, I think a little ECU adjustment is prefferable to new brackets or washers. I spoke with the service tech/mgr who has done this on several cars already and is willing to adjust mine as soon as it arrives. It will take about an hour and will give quite a bit of flexibility in deciding the optimal ride height. That is why it is termed ride height optimization an the AMG factory.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:51 PM

dr. chill,

You lucky dog! You were able to find one that is willing/knowlegeable. Like you, I would prefer the ROW adjustment. I have talked to 3 different service managers here in the bay area but to no avail. Enjoy!

richard: when are you getting yours?
Old 07-08-2003, 12:32 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
'05 E55
Its funny that as soon as I got my car in March I knew that I wanted it lower, and after researching a few "tuners" I was firmly AGAINST lowering by changing any "hardware" and began to try to find someone to lower via airmatic, like stephens. Well I could not find anyone (MB dealers) to do it, after arguing and complaining to at least 6 dealers here in SoCal. Then I really looked into the "hardware" option that the tuners are so mysterious about, and discovered exactly what and how the sensors on the E class work. They simply calibrate the ride height of the car body relative to the front and rear suspension components. The car still maintains all the standard airmatic features. The sensors are very sensitive, but the advantage is that they need very little adjustment to produce the drop you desire. The great advantage of this method, other than the fact that you can do it yourself in less than 2 hours, is that you can adjust the ride height, both front and rear, up or down in less than 20 minutes. That includes putting it back to stock ride height. Re-adjustment via airmatic means another trip back to the dealer. As for camber adjustment, yes most any car once lowered, no matter what method, should theoretically have the camber adjusted. Up to an inch or so probably won't matter, but anything close to 2 inches should. It also depends on how you plan to run your car (track) and the tire life you want.

Both methods will work, just depends on if you can find someone to adjust the airmatic for you and how much flexibility you want/need to make slight adjustments over the course of time.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:30 AM

epower

I have to admit, i did spend some time today jacking up the car and started to check out where to put the washers for the front and the bracket at the rear. I will probably have to spend more time to think about it.

But just the same, kudos to you for being able to figure out how these tuners "mysteriously" lower a 211.

Thanks, just like they say - you're da man!
Old 07-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 E55
fiftyfive, it will be my wife's car, I'm looking to buy at MSRP with a 6 month delivery, have found a delaer in Modesto but still working with my local dealer in Sonoma County.