Sponsored by:

E55 Starting Issues after Airmatic Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
E55 Starting Issues after Airmatic Replacement

I had my front left airmatic go out on me last Saturday after the 11:30PM show of the Avengers. Great movie! After research on mbworld, I purchased 2 Arnott struts and replaced them on Thursday. $380 each out the door. I followed the post to remove and install the new struts. I removed the battery cable several times to "Trick" the ecu and let air out of the new struts in-order to install them. They come fully aired up from Arnott. Excellent company to work with BTW and very helpfully. Test drive went well. No issues. Only went a few miles.
The next day after 10 miles of driving, starting and stopping, the car wouldn't start. It took several times cracking it to start. When it finally started, I had slightly pumped the gas pedal (never had to do that before). This event caused a CEL that pointed at the CPS. I purchased new at Advanced Auto and replace it on the spot. Fired up and ran perfect. I drove for maybe 3 miles and parked for an hour. Came out and it wouldn't start. Left the car and came back 2 hours later. Took about 30 tries and pumping the gas for it to start. Sounded flooded, my bad.
Again the CEL came on and I pulled the code. As I pulled the code, the light shut off. It stored a CPS error again.
Any thoughts? Something to do with disconnecting and reconnecting battery several times? Should I try another CPS? I'm pulling codes with an Actron CP9580 which can view data live.
History of the car is a 2005 with 155K miles with Zero issues. I do all my own service and maintenance. I've owned the car since 48K miles. Purchased form Mercedes dealer in Jacksonville FL. Always been a FL car.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Get a oem unit. I have seen aftermarket ones not work well.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
MB
I will say the problem was due to connect-disconnect battery several times, you should run SDS, I will say is something simple.... software
Old 05-15-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I bit the bullet and purchased the OEM CPS from Mercedes ($147). Drove over 75 miles in the heat of the day with no problems. I returned the aftermarket to Advanced Auto. I would say that I either had a faulty CPS or the aftermarket has to much variation with heat. Thanks for the reply's. Although a fun ride, driving Jasmine (E55) beats driving the wife's WRX any day!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
E55, SL63, ML550
Glad you got it taken care of.