W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another RTR pulley failure

Old 05-23-2012, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
05 White Pano E55, Cadillac CTS-V
That looks to be a Eurocharged pulley with the smooth front face which I believe is also made by ASP. It looks a little different than the one on their site that has aluminum type ring/washer down in there that the bolts go through but the rest of the pulley looks the same so they probably did away with that washer deal.

And to clear it up since so many people seem to be confused lately on what a RTR pulley is. The RTR pulley has an aluminum color portion where the belt rides all the way forward (the biggest belt riding surface of the 2 on the pulley). You can see how just that single outer pulley ring can unbolt to be changed to a different sized ring with the bolts way up front out in the open and it is the only pulley I know of that is silver like that.

See how the bolts are right there up in the front holding only that aluminum colored front portion on compared to how the pulley in above post has the bolts stuck way down in there holding the front to the harmonic balancer in the back?

This is a RTR pulley.

Last edited by urbamworm; 05-23-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl55
Originally Posted by urbamworm
That looks to be a Eurocharged pulley with the smooth front face which I believe is also made by ASP. It looks a little different than the one on their site that has aluminum type ring/washer down in there that the bolts go through but the rest of the pulley looks the same so they probably did away with that washer deal.

And to clear it up since so many people seem to be confused lately on what a RTR pulley is. The RTR pulley has an aluminum color portion where the belt rides all the way forward (the biggest belt riding surface of the 2 on the pulley). You can see how just that single outer pulley ring can unbolt to be changed to a different sized ring with the bolts way up front out in the open and it is the only pulley I know of that is silver like that.

See how the bolts are right there up in the front holding only that aluminum colored front portion on compared to how the pulley in above post has the bolts stuck way down in there holding the front to the harmonic balancer in the back?

This is a RTR pulley.

Yes sir. Don't forget it has a timing mark sticker applied crookedly and paint where the crankshaft pulley bolt rides (which can cause issues and not allow proper torque and/or lead to the bolt loosening), thats in my opinion anyway.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by 209sl55
Yes sir. Don't forget it has a timing mark sticker applied crookedly and paint where the crankshaft pulley bolt rides (which can cause issues and not allow proper torque and/or lead to the bolt loosening), thats in my opinion anyway.
mine didnt have a sticker and smelled of fresh paint
Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
I think that's fair thing to ask

I agree with the motto you have to pay to play. I've popped several 13B-REW motors myself, believe me I'm no stranger to the headaches that come with modifying cars. I never posted that I was asking for anything, let alone a new motor. All I said was that I was upset, that I just want to get my car back to how it was, etc. All that said, I am still a bit peeved that I thought I was getting a somewhat 'proven and tested' product when in fact I got something totally different. I called Jerry about this after the install (when I realized it was in fact an RTR not an ASP) and was reassured that these pullies were in fact made by ASP, and that an engineer had deemed them safe (the 180, not the 190+ sizes). So I don't know where the truth lies. I do know I should have held firm and demanded the ASP (which I'm sure Jerry would have swapped out for an additional fee). So shame on me for deviating from my original plan of the tried and true (as much as possible with non-OEM parts anyway) ASP setup and not listening to the voice of experience in the back of my mind. Again, this thread is meant more as a warning to others. I haven't asked for anything, I haven't lawyer'd up... in my mind what's fair is a full refund and it would be nice if the vendors involved could help me source a reasonably priced crank. I think that's pretty fair all things considered?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Originally Posted by moosejaw
I think that's fair thing to ask
Agreed..good luck on getting any kind of financial contribution towards a crank.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55
I heard RTR and UPD are teaming-up to offer a crank replacement kit.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
I agree with the motto you have to pay to play. I've popped several 13B-REW motors myself, believe me I'm no stranger to the headaches that come with modifying cars. I never posted that I was asking for anything, let alone a new motor. All I said was that I was upset, that I just want to get my car back to how it was, etc. All that said, I am still a bit peeved that I thought I was getting a somewhat 'proven and tested' product when in fact I got something totally different. I called Jerry about this after the install (when I realized it was in fact an RTR not an ASP) and was reassured that these pullies were in fact made by ASP, and that an engineer had deemed them safe (the 180, not the 190+ sizes). So I don't know where the truth lies. I do know I should have held firm and demanded the ASP (which I'm sure Jerry would have swapped out for an additional fee). So shame on me for deviating from my original plan of the tried and true (as much as possible with non-OEM parts anyway) ASP setup and not listening to the voice of experience in the back of my mind. Again, this thread is meant more as a warning to others. I haven't asked for anything, I haven't lawyer'd up... in my mind what's fair is a full refund and it would be nice if the vendors involved could help me source a reasonably priced crank. I think that's pretty fair all things considered?
"You have to pay to play" usually applies when you spend lots of money on proven products to modify your car, or when you blow something after installing higher risk mods like prototype blower kits or big n2o shots to push the limits of your ride. Unfortunately, a 180 isn't pushing the limits at all. You just got a known crappy product so don't feel guilty that you are "paying to play". I hope you get this all worked out.