Sponsored by:

Nav problems please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 e55 02 c32
Nav problems please help

Im having problems When I turn my car on everything acts like its gonna load and then the Mercedes logo comes up for like 30 seconds then a black screen and it continues to do this over and over. No sound. Nothing someone please help me. I've tried removing fuse number 6 in the trunk but no luck what so ever. Any ideas would help thanks in advance
Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Remove power harness to the nav drive in the trunk for about 30 seconds plug it back in. Also eject the nav disc and put it back it.
By doing this you will reboot the nav drive and it may solve your problem.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 AM

03 e55 02 c32
Fixed. Thank you shardul for your help I appreciate it
Old 05-24-2012, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
Even easier way, hold the radios power button down for ten seconds, that forces a most ring reboot which also reboots everything else
Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Even easier way, hold the radios power button down for ten seconds, that forces a most ring reboot which also reboots everything else
Do you press and hold while the radio is already powered on, or while it's powered off.... or doesn't it matter?

I picked up my car from the detailer yesterday and now it shows "NAVIGATION NOT AVAILABLE" when I try to select the NAV or MAP buttons on the radio. I tried to eject the disc from the trunk DVD and it is unresponsive.

Pulled a few different fuses so far from the trunk fuseblock and the one on the side panel near the drivers dashboard area.

I'm pretty sure if I can figure out how to get / confirm power is getting to to the NAV DVD player everything will go back to normal.

-G
Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM

2005 E55 AMG; 2005 CLK 500 (sold)
Originally Posted by GregMB
Do you press and hold while the radio is already powered on, or while it's powered off.... or doesn't it matter?

I picked up my car from the detailer yesterday and now it shows "NAVIGATION NOT AVAILABLE" when I try to select the NAV or MAP buttons on the radio. I tried to eject the disc from the trunk DVD and it is unresponsive.

Pulled a few different fuses so far from the trunk fuseblock and the one on the side panel near the drivers dashboard area.

I'm pretty sure if I can figure out how to get / confirm power is getting to to the NAV DVD player everything will go back to normal.

-G

Might seem like a dumb question, but are you sure you have the nav disc in the drive and the dealer didnt eject the disc only to forget to put it back? Happened to me in my CLK once so I thought id throw it out there.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saltydizzle
Might seem like a dumb question, but are you sure you have the nav disc in the drive and the dealer didnt eject the disc only to forget to put it back? Happened to me in my CLK once so I thought id throw it out there.
That was my first thought actually....

My recollection is that the error message would be different on the NAV screen. Something like "NAV DISC NOT FOUND" or "CANT READ NAV DISC" or similar. The message I'm getting makes it seem like there is no communication at all to the NAV DVD player itself.

I tried pushing the eject button on the rear DVD player figuring I'd hear a noise as it tried to eject (even if empty you can usually hear some kind of moise). It's completely silent and does not accept a new DVD into the slot either. I don't know if there is a visible LED that will show if it's even got power or not, I haven't checked that closely yet.

I will probably pull the battery cable tonight when I get home and try that method too....just looking for stuff I could try that might be faster/easier.

-G
Old 07-19-2012, 12:53 PM

2005 E55 AMG; 2005 CLK 500 (sold)
Very strange....let us know how you make out.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeking an 04'-06' E55 AMG
Originally Posted by GregMB
That was my first thought actually....

My recollection is that the error message would be different on the NAV screen. Something like "NAV DISC NOT FOUND" or "CANT READ NAV DISC" or similar. The message I'm getting makes it seem like there is no communication at all to the NAV DVD player itself.

I tried pushing the eject button on the rear DVD player figuring I'd hear a noise as it tried to eject (even if empty you can usually hear some kind of moise). It's completely silent and does not accept a new DVD into the slot either. I don't know if there is a visible LED that will show if it's even got power or not, I haven't checked that closely yet.

I will probably pull the battery cable tonight when I get home and try that method too....just looking for stuff I could try that might be faster/easier.

-G
I have the same problem. I did the same thing as you and no sound on the drive in the trunk. I pulled the back panel off and disconnected the drive and waited 30 seconds. It did nothing. I am sorry to report.

I disconnected both batteries, the one in the front under the hood and of course the one in the rear. I waited for a few minutes and connected them back. Sorry to report, it didn't work.

I have had the same problem for a few weeks now, but mine was NOT after I went to the stealer. Mine just happened one day. Don't know why and thought I might have hit a button I should not have. Now I see you have the same issues.

I was going to take it to someone with the STAR to see if it is showing up. If not, then maybe a reprogram could or would help. If it shows up, then I hope that the drive didn't go bad.

Please keep me posted too, as I have the same issue as you.

Anyone else have any ideas that we could try.?

Thanks all and good luck buddy.
Stephen
Old 07-19-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeking an 04'-06' E55 AMG
Hey Greg,
Just a quick question for you.
Do you have the phone or Bluetooth puck in your car.?
My car is 2004 E55 with the Bluetooth puck with tail. It did not come with the phone, so I added the puck with tail and it worked perfectly when I got it.

I noticed that since my NAV went out, my speaker for the phone is OUT. Meaning that if I connect the bluetooth to my car and I call someone, they CANNOT hear me. I have to put my phone on speaker to have someone hear me.

So, I am just curious if you are having that problem too. That ONLY happened, when the NAV went out on me. If you have the same issue, then it might be something in the System and we both might have to go have someone with STAR look at it.

I have checked all the fuses with a test light and they are all fine. I doubled checked them all with the paperwork in the front fuse box, near driver door, to make sure all the fuses are correct in AMP sizes. All is good and NO fuses are popped. It's driving me mad too, but I figured I would live with it and I use the Garmin anyway. But the phone thing bothers me. I like talking in the car thru the system.

Anyone have any ideas that could fix both of our issues.?

Thanks,
Stephen
Old 07-19-2012, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stephen,

Nope, no Bluetooth configured on mine and I don't have the pre-wiring to support it. Kind of surprised as I thought the 2006 models would all come pre-wired.

Anyway, my car is 100% bone-stock at the moment and all I do is drive it to work and back. No fancy gimmicks or tweaks and the NAV has worked just fine up until yesterday. As far as I can tell so far, no blown fuses but I need to get out my DMM and check each one carefully.

I suppose there is a chance that the actual NAV DVD just finally crapped out. It's certainly possible though there were no warning signs or odd behavior leading up to the failure... typically I'd expect to see at least a few little glitches leading up to a catastrophic failure.

I've got a good warranty, so if I can't figure it out I'll make the dealership solve it and let you know what they come up with.

-G
Old 07-26-2012, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

I checked continuity on the fuseblocks in the engine compartment, DS Dash area, rear trunk near DVD-NAV and a small fuseblock near the rear battery. All fuses checked out fine...

Next, I pulled the side panel trim and removed the single 10mm bolt that holds the DVD-NAV to the sheetmetal bracketry.

Here's how it looks in the back once you swing it out from the bracket:

The connector on the right is the MOST fiber stuff, and the left one is power. I pulled the fiber cable out and my SAT radio shut off immediately (had it playing in the background while I worked)... re-inserted the cable and the satellite music returned. Seems like the fiber loop is working fine?

The power cable only has 3 wires in it....

There's a red/white striped wire, a pink wire and a brown wire. I believe the brown is commonly used for ground in Mercedes, correct? My best guess is that the other wires are contant 12V and switched 12V (ignition)

I did a voltage check across the brown and red/white striped wire and got 12V
I did a voltage check across the brown and pink wire and got 12V

So far, it seems like I can pretty clearly eliminate any sort of power or fiber network issue. The fact that the unit is getting 12V but does not make any kind of noise, and will not eject the disc when I press the button leads me to believe that the player itself is defective....

Easy Questions for Anyone Who'd like to Help:

1. If you eject the NAV disk from your player what message do you get on your COMAND screen?

2. If the player is empty (no NAV disc) and you press the eject button, do you still get a noise from the player as it attepts to eject anyway?

I've got an appointment with the dealer on Monday (warranty service). They inform me that the rear NAV is something like $1000 and they won't pre-order it without doing a diagnosis first... so it looks like I'll be making at least two trips to get this resolved.

-G
Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012.07.30 - UPDATE! - FIXED!!!

I spent the morning at the dealer today getting this issue checked out. Here's the end-result for anyone who's still following this thread and interested in how it was solved.

Since I had already checked the NAV unit and knew it was getting 12V and the MOST loop as working, it was pretty clear that it had to be a damaged NAV unit itself. Sure enough, the tech ran a few quick tests and came to the same conclusion.

Fortunately for me, they had a replacement unit in stock (they were expecting to send me home today and make me come back again once NAC approved the repair and they could order one in...)

P/N: 211 870 89 26 88

$396.00

With the labor for diagnosis it ended up at $653.60 but NAC agreed to cover almost 100% of the costs, which was great. For those of you out-of-warranty you can obviously shop that part number online or maybe find one from a wrecked car to use.

As hoped, swapping out the player did not cause me to lose all my pre-programmed addresses. The only hard part was getting the NAV CD out of a dead machine, but my tech was able to do it. Otherwise, the unit goes back to MBUSA and it takes them about a month to return the customer DVD once they take it apart..... happy I didn't have to go that route.

-G

I spoke briefly with my tech about doing the RoW coding on the car to disable the front marker lights, but he said that they are restricted from making any changes that alter the operation of the headlights/running lights, etc. - Bummer. Looks like I still need to make a local friend with STAR... or buy a unit myself when the time comes.

Last edited by GregMB; 07-30-2012 at 12:51 PM.