W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are stock bottom end doesn't hold more power.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by adianaty
Don't get me wrong, the ring gap is certainly not right and needs to be increased. But this damage is not initiated by ring gap alone. Ring gap in itself will not melt the piston or cause the land to break off. You have to have excessive cylinder pressure and heat i.e. detonation. Here is Mahle's own description of the failure. See page 20.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47784054/M...ushings-Manual

These hypereutectic pistons are like glass when they are loaded up under detonation and are unforgiving. e55amgrockets car made 619whp so let's assume that is over 700hp's but he did it with some excellent race gas that takes some work to get to detonate. If it was gaps alone, he would have had piston failure pushing that much through his motor. I've seen plenty of the hypereutectics go in other platforms and truth be told, they always blow up pretty fantastically and never have light wear like a forged piston. My only point to anyone is, if you are going to go so far as open her up to increase the gap, spend the extra $1500 for the forged pistons since I wouldn't reuse the rings anyway. Mahle's run $1950 for pistons, rings, and pins. Call me ridiculous but I wouldn't tear my engine apart and put the stockers in considering for $1500, I would NEVER have to worry about it and have a fully forged bottom end. The original purpose of the thread is spot on. Going into the motor before damage on these cars makes a tremendous amount of sense to fix both the ring gap and in my opinion, replace pistons with forged units early if you are really going to push it.
I couldn't agree with you more. I've made well over 600hp on a motor with 120k miles. I also put down 831/932 the night before playing with the nitrous before the RTR pulley ate the crank and again not a problem with the piston/rings. Im also running pretty aggressive timing and didn't take any timing out for the nitrous and it was completely fine. 99% of that was due to the 120+ octane fuel and the other 1% was knowing where to stop with the timing. The guy that is trying to repair my crank was amazed that a stock car had a crankshaft like we do. That's tells you a lot and the rods are extremely strong to being a forged rod with a relatively short stroke. Timing/detonation is what causes the ring land failure and melted pistons. Race gas will let you be a lot more "reckless" with the tune but only to a certain point. I'd much rather have a very safe street tune and give up 20-30hp than take a chance on broken pistons.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
831/932!!! Damn, that's a healthy dose of laughing gas.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
831/932!!! Damn, that's a healthy dose of laughing gas.
let's just say the "advertised" HP numbers are way off when spraying thru a screw blower.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Man, right now I don't have much time to be tearing into my engine but maybe next year my kid won't be so "needy" and perhaps I can dedicate a little more time to my car and remove the engine and disassemble it. I would LOVE to know how much power this engine can make with larger ring gaps and a great tune.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Originally Posted by e55amgrocket
I couldn't agree with you more. I've made well over 600hp on a motor with 120k miles. I also put down 831/932 the night before playing with the nitrous before the RTR pulley ate the crank and again not a problem with the piston/rings. Im also running pretty aggressive timing and didn't take any timing out for the nitrous and it was completely fine. 99% of that was due to the 120+ octane fuel and the other 1% was knowing where to stop with the timing. The guy that is trying to repair my crank was amazed that a stock car had a crankshaft like we do. That's tells you a lot and the rods are extremely strong to being a forged rod with a relatively short stroke. Timing/detonation is what causes the ring land failure and melted pistons. Race gas will let you be a lot more "reckless" with the tune but only to a certain point. I'd much rather have a very safe street tune and give up 20-30hp than take a chance on broken pistons.
Great Jehovah's Witness!
Old 05-29-2012, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dirt Scooters
Originally Posted by SterlingE55
Great Jehovah's Witness!
Thats what i said . Imagine if i could of sprayed it for a full pass at that power level. We backed it down after seeing that though. The 135mph pass was just spraying for a few seconds in 3rd gear and it picked up around 3mph. I'm confident if i made a full pass on the spray it would of gone 9's but thats just bench racing. This fall i'll see what it would of done