W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange issue with transmission or computer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E63
Strange issue with transmission or computer?

Went to leave work today and put the car in reverse loud clunk and harsh jerk. Put the car into drive another hard clunk........back into reverse and it was smoother, but not normal. Pulled out and went into drive again smoother. Noticed the car wasn't shifting "aww crap don't tell me the tranny is going" tried to change from C to S no change, tried to use paddles no change, checked the instrumentation to see what gear it was in....it was blank? I work in IT so my first thought is software and reboot. Pulled over and restarted the car, instrumentation changed to P, put the car in drive smooth shift like normal. Checked the instrumentation car is in C and 2nd, changed to S and it went into 1st. Drove normal after that, anyone have any ideas? Does it sound like the computer?

The only thing I can think of is when I picked up my car from the dealer there is what appears to be dried liquid stains inside the instrument cluster and my park tonic looked like it had condensation inside of it. At first my b-tooth wouldn't work but started to after a restart of the car. I wonder if they got water or something in my dash? It goes back tomorrow so they can repair the damage they caused.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Hopefully it is software related and a simple reboot has solved the issue. Pull the passenger side carpeting out and see if there is any transmission fluid on the tcu wire loom.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 AM

e63
I had the exact same thing. I would start and stop shut off car and it would fix, it got progressively worse until got stuck in gear and that was it. needed replacement of my etc valve body . Parts were 2600.00 from dealer, 4 hours labor and 1.5 hours diagnostic. I understand only dealer can sell that part. I understand also that it is quite common on early e63, I had 70,000 km on car.

Hope this helps
Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 AM

W211 E63
I took it to the dealer anda asked them to check and see if they saw fluid on the loom. He told me not to sweat it yet, but to keep an eye on it. They have my car now, I will tell them about the valve. Thanks

Last edited by MoFetti; 06-01-2012 at 01:35 AM.