Looking at another Benz! Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Looking at another Benz! Advice?

My Buddy has a 1988 190E that hes looking to get rid of for another car (he has 9 already, mostly classic). But, recently he had me detail his 1986 Jaguar XJ6 (B E A UTIFUL CAR!!) and he was very happy with the job I did. so now he wants to know if id detail all his cars in exchange for his 190E. I don't know much, wait a minute, I don't think I know anything about these older Mercedes. he said the only thing it needs is a "cold start valve"? idk what this is.. but all i know is it is in beautiful shape for its age, interior is very nice. all opinions are much appreciated.

Last edited by 03'55AMG; 06-12-2012 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Wrong year on mercedes
Old 06-12-2012, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
No idea, but ask if he has a 560SEL and you'll do 2 detail jobs. lol Guy I worked with picked up a old 560SEL. Had some kinda weird problem with the injection system and several other odd problems that crept up and he ended up trying to run from it as fast as he could. I've heard the benz's of that era are a pain to keep up if you plan on actually driving it some.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 E63s, 2004 E55 AMG
Ive got an 89 300sel and my family has an 85 and 87 diesels. "They don't build them like that anymore" is what I've heard from many people haha. They're very reliable for their age and when something does go bad it's almost always an easy DIY repair. Parts are plentiful and cheap. The cold start valve is basically an extra fuel injection valve that is supposed to open on cold starts depending on temp. It sits right on top of the engine and i think it's a $70ish part. These car's are pretty simple so troubleshooting is much more straight forward. I don't have any experience with the 190e chassis but I assume its just as solid as the S-Class's of the day.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by spazmoid
Ive got an 89 300sel and my family has an 85 and 87 diesels. "They don't build them like that anymore" is what I've heard from many people haha. They're very reliable for their age and when something does go bad it's almost always an easy DIY repair. Parts are plentiful and cheap. The cold start valve is basically an extra fuel injection valve that is supposed to open on cold starts depending on temp. It sits right on top of the engine and i think it's a $70ish part. These car's are pretty simple so troubleshooting is much more straight forward. I don't have any experience with the 190e chassis but I assume its just as solid as the S-Class's of the day.
Thank you so much for the clarification. a simple google search showed a "cold start valve" as a $3-400 part. Any idea on how simple the repair will be? When I have it over here in the next few days ill be sure to take lots of pictures of it. Thanks for the help! Keep it coming!

Another question, anybody got any ideas on whats possible performance wise? I am parking the E55 when I get this one, and giving the old kompressor a break and just using it for those nice summer nights and shows. but i dont want to go from brutal power to refined cruising..
Old 06-12-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 E63s, 2004 E55 AMG
I must have been thinking of something other than the cold start inj. Parts.com has it for $273 though. On my 300 this valve sits right on the side of the valve cover, right in part of the air intake. It's just two bolts that hold it in, a plug, and the fuel line going to it i think. The part is green. If you get the car you should check to see if the plug has voltage when the car is cold and if it changes when warm to insure the problem is actually the valve. You can also rig up some wires from the battery and hit the terminals on the valve to see if you hear/feel it moving or even pull it out and clean it up with carb cleaner or something. I think the computer activates this valve according to the signal it's getting from the coolant sensor so if that's bad...... and the temp gauge is a different sensor I believe so you can't just check that way haha.

The 190e had two engines, a 4cyl and a 6. Any idea what this one has?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
It has the 4-banger. might have it over here tomorrow to detail it. will take tons of pictures of anything and everything, before and after detail.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Get it they are built like tanks!