Problems with 03 E55 Key fab?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Problems with 03 E55 Key fab?

I've been having problems with one of my two keyfabs for my 03 E55. It has been intermittently not working. I have keyless go and entry. Sometimes it will not work at all. None of the buttons on it will work, ie trunk, lock/unlock. Also I cannot unlock or lock the doors by using the buttons on the handle. It will not start the car keyless either. It has power to it though, as I can see the little red light light up on it. I replaced batteries and cleaned terminals inside it anyway and that didn't help. The other keyfab works fine. Any ideas? Another issue I'm having is that the passenger front door handle lock/unlock buttons don't work at all with either keyfab. Not sure if this is related? I have noticed on a few occasions the dash message "key not recognized". Is there anything I can do on my own or do I have to bring to the dealer?
Old 06-17-2012, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
sounds like your passenger handle is kaput

did you have to resync your key to the car after new batteries?
Old 06-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Toadster
sounds like your passenger handle is kaput

did you have to resync your key to the car after new batteries?
Yeah, I believe the handle needs to be replaced. How do you resync a key fob to the car?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
now that I think about it - no programming is needed unless it's a new key; are you sure the batteries you put in are in the correct way?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Toadster
now that I think about it - no programming is needed unless it's a new key; are you sure the batteries you put in are in the correct way?
Yes, I double checked to be sure. The small red light on the key fob lights up when you push a button so it appears to have power, but just doesn't do anything. I'm stumped, maybe need to go to dealer
Old 06-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Banned

2003 E55 AMG
So I was messing around with my keyfob that wasn't working today. New batteries already installed, no difference not unlocking/locking doors, trunk. So I decide to unlock the car with the keyfob that works. I leave the working key in the house and take the key that just 5 minutes ago would not open the doors, keyless or with the buttons on the key. Jump into the driver seat and press keyless ignition button, starts right up. I turn car off and jump out. Go to lock doors with the handle button and it works??? Buttons on the key work as well now. What is going on with the key? Not sure?? I've also noticed that with one key when I enter car with keyless handle no other doors unlock, the other key unlocks all doors on the vehicle? Maybe there is something I don't understand about these keys? Anybody know something I don't? Either way I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to get passenger handle fixed that doesn't work, maybe they can shed some light on this.