Sponsored by:

ATTENTION!! Burnt wires.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
ATTENTION!! Burnt wires.

Hello everyone. Long story short, I took my car to a shop that only deals with Mercedes so they can hook up the computer to it and see if their were any stored faults. There was only one, it was M14/7 which is the code for a "recirculating air flap" internal fault. If no one was aware of this, there is a throtle body like flap inside of the s/c housing right under the throttle body. Correct me if im wrong, but what I think the function of this flap is is to close when s/c engagement occurs to control, stabalize, or allow boost pressure. Well when this flap has a fault or is not working, there will be NO s/c engagement, so basically I was driving a damn E500. After we determined that the flap is getting no power, I began to check wiring. After determining that the wiring for this flap come straight from the ECU, I got a little worried. So I found which ones they were, removed the intake boxes and the throttle body to gain access to the connecting plug for the flap so I can shoot resistance. Well, as I followed the wiring harness, I ran into a spot where the protective plastic tubing was burnt. I cut it off, got to the wires and found three brocken wires. I reconnected them, put everything back together and took the car out to test. When I bought the car I knew it had some issues because it did not feel like 469hp, but DAMN!! after connecting those wires it was a brutal car! Finally it was how it should be. After leaving my tire marks at every corner I went back to do a better job connecting the wires. I also noticed that the wiring harness for the throttle body was starting to burn as well. The burning was due to these harnesses being tie rapped right on the rear side of the engine making contact with the transmission and engine block. Guess it was a Mercedes flaw. I have a 2003 E55, so I HIGHLY recommend everyone to check these harnesses for the same symptoms. It is easy, just remove the intake y-pipe with filter boxes and follow the wiring harness that comes out from the fuse box on the driver side, but the one that comes out, goes down a bit and then goes right to the rear of the engine, its hard to miss. Might have some tie raps securing it to the engine, cut them if need be. If you notice any signs of burning, tie rap the harness to the fire wall, away from the engine. Again, my vehocle is a 2003, so maybe Mercedes noticed this and changed it from there on, but wont hurt to check. If you need help getting to them, let me know and I would be glad to give you a call and explain it beter. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:48 AM

2003 E55 AMG
I apologize for such long explanation.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by JuanMR
Hello everyone. Long story short, I took my car to a shop that only deals with Mercedes so they can hook up the computer to it and see if their were any stored faults. There was only one, it was M14/7 which is the code for a "recirculating air flap" internal fault. If no one was aware of this, there is a throtle body like flap inside of the s/c housing right under the throttle body. Correct me if im wrong, but what I think the function of this flap is is to close when s/c engagement occurs to control, stabalize, or allow boost pressure. Well when this flap has a fault or is not working, there will be NO s/c engagement, so basically I was driving a damn E500. After we determined that the flap is getting no power, I began to check wiring. After determining that the wiring for this flap come straight from the ECU, I got a little worried. So I found which ones they were, removed the intake boxes and the throttle body to gain access to the connecting plug for the flap so I can shoot resistance. Well, as I followed the wiring harness, I ran into a spot where the protective plastic tubing was burnt. I cut it off, got to the wires and found three brocken wires. I reconnected them, put everything back together and took the car out to test. When I bought the car I knew it had some issues because it did not feel like 469hp, but DAMN!! after connecting those wires it was a brutal car! Finally it was how it should be. After leaving my tire marks at every corner I went back to do a better job connecting the wires. I also noticed that the wiring harness for the throttle body was starting to burn as well. The burning was due to these harnesses being tie rapped right on the rear side of the engine making contact with the transmission and engine block. Guess it was a Mercedes flaw. I have a 2003 E55, so I HIGHLY recommend everyone to check these harnesses for the same symptoms. It is easy, just remove the intake y-pipe with filter boxes and follow the wiring harness that comes out from the fuse box on the driver side, but the one that comes out, goes down a bit and then goes right to the rear of the engine, its hard to miss. Might have some tie raps securing it to the engine, cut them if need be. If you notice any signs of burning, tie rap the harness to the fire wall, away from the engine. Again, my vehocle is a 2003, so maybe Mercedes noticed this and changed it from there on, but wont hurt to check. If you need help getting to them, let me know and I would be glad to give you a call and explain it beter. Good luck.
Not quite, but very interesting. Let me know how exactly and where to check, as I have a 2003.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon
I apologize for such long explanation.
Thx for sharing!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
I know your a new member but I can already see you will be a gold member. Thanks for sharing
Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by benz_addict
I know your a new member but I can already see you will be a gold member. Thanks for sharing
+100. He PMed me willing to help out, and hes going to walk me through the procedures to check for this condition over the phone tomorrow!

If you'd like, I will give you a call sometime tomorrow. I think that would be the fastest and easiest way to explain it.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Your all very welcome. We are all here to help each other out, especially when things like this occur. If anyone has any issues with locating these wires, just pm me your number and I would be more than happy to guide you throught it. Thank you benz addict.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
I have an early 03 and would like to look at mine as well. Can someone get a pic of this to show where to look if possible? If I get to it before anyone else does I'll post some pics if I find the issue.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I will be taking a look here in about a half hour or so, and will be taking pics.